Notices

Tell you what, this LEDS SUCK!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell you what, this LEDS SUCK!!

Hi, here is the deal, I bought the smoked markers and the LEDs on ebay and installed them yesterday. I DON'T LIKE THEM. If you look a the picture, the marker don't light up all the way across...you can see the LEDs reflects only right in the middle of the marker. Is marker the problem or is it the LEDS...here are the pics.

The picture was not taken at night, but it looks the same exact way in the dark.

These are the LEDs

Here are the markers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=380201906958

So what is the problem?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not the LEDs or the marker per se. All LEDs give off a much smaller angle of light than regular bulbs. If you want to light up the whole side marker with LEDs you have two options:

1. Literally fill the side marker with LEDs

2. Come up with some custom configuration of LEDs and diffusion elements to spread the light out

Either way youre looking at some work. There are no off the shelf solutions for this that I know of.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
You need to get brighter LED's, you have just standard LED's, if you get Piranha, or SMD LED's, they're much brighter.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html

On that page, you have LED's that would fit into the first category of lights, if you scroll down to the third category, you get into much brighter SMD's.

I had a blue set imported with only 2 SMD's and it would light up the guardrail blue next to my car while I was driving at night, and in the daytime, the entire marker would be lit up.

Also, LED's have a pretty straightforward projection similar to that of a flashlight, so play around with some configurations of bulbs.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM
yeah. not what i would expect either. I would expect the whole thng to light up, i mean thats why there that big.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM
+1 I have the 360 type (thats 3rd set down) and it's the WLED-xHP6 on my clear corners. It's slightly brighter towards where the led's are but spreads the light quite evenly throughout the clear corners.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by k@osx71
+1 I have the 360 type (thats 3rd set down) and it's the WLED-xHP6 on my clear corners. It's slightly brighter towards where the led's are but spreads the light quite evenly throughout the clear corners.
They look good!!! Do u have any pics of yours? I'm about to buy them.
Thanks guys, yall been very helpful.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I think, and I may be completley wrong, but your LEDs are unidirectional I guess is the term. I don't have leds in my sidemarkers yet, but the leds I have in other parts of the car look like this.

Yours all face in one direction while something like this ^^^ faces in basically all directions.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
I think, and I may be completley wrong, but your LEDs are unidirectional I guess is the term. I don't have leds in my sidemarkers yet, but the leds I have in other parts of the car look like this.

Yours all face in one direction while something like this ^^^ faces in basically all directions.
You are correct in the "Directional" sense. However those are standard diodes. He want's SMD's which are much brighter than the standard diodes.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
on vleds.com, they have one that faces all directions that are SMT.

The reason that yours doesnt light up all the way is because light does not shoot out the side of the bulb.
something like this will work for you.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...81039-1-2.html

Old 02-13-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by davidxu
on vleds.com, they have one that faces all directions that are SMT.

The reason that yours doesnt light up all the way is because light does not shoot out the side of the bulb.
something like this will work for you.
http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/C...81039-1-2.html
I had those bulbs in the sidmarkers of my max which are much larger than the Gs and they lit up the whole marker they're great bulbs for the price.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:10 PM
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FWLED-xHP5.htm
Almost half the price, exact same thing.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Have you seen what Dranom did to his car? Looks like that side marker is lit up pretty good

https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...k-pc-hang.html

Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginevan
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...FWLED-xHP5.htm
Almost half the price, exact same thing.

Update.. These bulbs were fine for a few days,I noticed that after having these bulbs on at night I would have static on my radio.I
took these bulbs out for now,I have tried the smt 5 leds from Vleds no more static on the radio..Superleds aren't bad,I did have the Wleds x5
and I didnt have any interference.I just wouldnt recommend the Hp5..unless if you want static on your radio..

Last edited by RodzMax2002; 03-17-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-20-2010, 01:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They're not supposed to light the whole strip. Based on how they're designed, the LED illuminates in the hole. The remaining portion is supposed to be a reflector.

Take a look at the stock one. The one above that looks lit is only due to such high brightness.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 AM
as a vendor for vleds.com, superbrightleds is cheaper, but their quality isnt as good as vleds.. hence the bigger price difference.. that is also the reason why i chose to go with vleds rather then superbright or others. if you need anything, let me know. cheaper to go through me and lifetime warranty is what i give..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tell you what, this LEDS SUCK!!