Notices

G35 Headlight Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jcseven7
I did my 03-05 lights. I am not a professional by any stretch. I did this for the price of a few rattle cans and a few LED strips and 194 connectors from V-LEDs. Stupid easy and cheap, and they came out super clean. Everyone loves them, and thought they were professional which is all I could ask for.

I just opened up the lights, sprayed the matte black (matching the grille), fabricated an insert for the clearance strips including with the cheap a$$ LED strips spliced with the 194 connectors. Totally plug an play.

Day time pic below. Not bright like Audi or MB DRLs, but they light up pretty bright for cheap $9 LED strips!

I plan to do the exact same thing you did, but I can't seem to find a DIY for it after searching for a bit. I'm literally don't even know how to remove the headlights (I know theres DIY for that, just trying to explain how I don't know crap about playing with cars). You know/did you follow a DIY for the exact same thing you did (that includes pics)?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark2K8
I plan to do the exact same thing you did, but I can't seem to find a DIY for it after searching for a bit. I'm literally don't even know how to remove the headlights (I know theres DIY for that, just trying to explain how I don't know crap about playing with cars). You know/did you follow a DIY for the exact same thing you did (that includes pics)?
Start off with this DIY: https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...dlight+removal

To take apart the headlight (remove bulbs and wire harness), pre-heat the oven to 200F and bake headlights for 9 mins. Once it's nice and hot, take it out of the oven and pull the lens off. When you come to the tabs, use a flat head screwdriver to release them. It literally just pulls apart..lol. I did it last week for the 1st time ever, I was nervous but it's really not hard.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need to take the bulbs or wiring out, do remove your ballast. Unscrew the 3 small screws pop in the oven and separate lens.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark2K8
...did you follow a DIY for the exact same thing you did (that includes pics)?
I used the same DIY NoGood posted above to get the lights out. One thing I want to stress is that you need to make sure to tape your fenders as show in the DIY or you will scratch them up when you pull the bumper down.

As far as the modding, I just went for it. I didn't use a DIY.

What exactly are you looking for that you can't find? I can probably help you out.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone know if these can be fitted to an 06/07 headlight?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:01 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by teahead
Anyone know if these can be fitted to an 06/07 headlight?

if you are referring to the 03-05 setup to move over into 06-07 you have to do alot of cutting to have that performend. the 06-07 dont have that slate anymore.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:24 AM
Anything is possible, but that's not novice work. It occurs to me that the hardest part would be cutting the clearance strip out of the 06-07 bezel. You'd probably be better off doing something like tweger's DIY.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on a good set of 6000k D2R bulbs?

Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I did my 03-05 lights. I am not a professional by any stretch. I did this for the price of a few rattle cans and a few LED strips and 194 connectors from V-LEDs. Stupid easy and cheap, and they came out super clean. Everyone loves them, and thought they were professional which is all I could ask for.

I just opened up the lights, sprayed the matte black (matching the grille), fabricated an insert for the clearance strips including with the cheap a$$ LED strips spliced with the 194 connectors. Totally plug an play.

Day time pic below. Not bright like Audi or MB DRLs, but they light up pretty bright for cheap $9 LED strips!

Can u tell me a little more about how u did your led strips...I have a 05 too and the clearance strips are becoming a pain in the a$$....im ready to just drill holes for individual leds...did u use a strip?

Old 01-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
so how can i have the clearance strip light up more bright and more clean. i do not want the led look where u can see the dots. kinda like how the new saabs have their set up

Old 01-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
so how can i have the clearance strip light up more bright and more clean. i do not want the led look where u can see the dots. kinda like how the new saabs have their set up

Everyone correct me if im wrong but I believe thats a CCFL Tube...

Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by JoeyDaBoss
Can u tell me a little more about how u did your led strips...I have a 05 too and the clearance strips are becoming a pain in the a$$....im ready to just drill holes for individual leds...did u use a strip?
I went and got a florescent light cover sheet (you just need a sheet of something strong and flexible). Then used a Dremel to shape strips from the light cover to fit behind the clearance strip cut out of the bezel using double sided tape (you could use silicone or whatever). I painted the strips matte black.

I used the 12 inch LED strips from VLED, taping off the diodes then spraying them matte black as well. The LED strips have adhesive already, so all I had to do is peel and stick them to the clearance strips I made (you have to bend to fit the curve of the bezel so the LEDs are centered from top to bottom).

The LED strips do not stretch the length of the clearance strip cut out in the bezel, so I create inserts to mask the wires at the top and and the gap at the bottom. I then connected the wires from the LED strip to a 194 connector so the strips are plug and play.

Once the whole color matched insert was wired, I used the double sided tape to stick it to the back of the bezel behind the clear plastic cover insert the was already in the bezel. Then I squished the lights back together.

You could always cut an insert out of the florescent light cover sheet and put it on top of the LED strip, this would defuse the light from the LEDs.

Sorry, no close up pics of the process. You just have to be a little imaginative with it.

Anyone have an opinion on a good set of 6000k D2R bulbs?
I got some from a sponsor. They're fine. Less light output than the stock. That's just how it works as you go up the range in kelvin. I'm going to say I'm not sure it actually matters much what brand you get.

Originally Posted by saywat?
Use something to defuse the LED light, and use single high intensity LEDs instead of a strip so you can space them closer together.

Or do some ish like this...

Last edited by jcseven7; 01-10-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 PM
I went and got a florescent light cover sheet (you just need a sheet of something strong and flexible). Then used a Dremel to shape strips from the light cover to fit behind the clearance strip cut out of the bezel using double sided tape (you could use silicone or whatever). I painted the strips matte black.

I used the 12 inch LED strips from VLED, taping off the diodes then spraying them matte black as well. The LED strips have adhesive already, so all I had to do is peel and stick them to the clearance strips I made (you have to bend to fit the curve of the bezel so the LEDs are centered from top to bottom).

The LED strips do not stretch the length of the clearance strip cut out in the bezel, so I create inserts to mask the wires at the top and and the gap at the bottom. I then connected the wires from the LED strip to a 194 connector so the strips are plug and play.

Once the whole color matched insert was wired, I used the double sided tape to stick it to the back of the bezel behind the clear plastic cover insert the was already in the bezel. Then I squished the lights back together.

You could always cut an insert out of the florescent light cover sheet and put it on top of the LED strip, this would defuse the light from the LEDs.

Sorry, no close up pics of the process. You just have to be a little imaginative with it.

I got some from a sponsor. They're fine. Less light output than the stock. That's just how it works as you go up the range in kelvin. I'm going to say I'm not sure it actually matters much what brand you get.

Use something to defuse the LED light, and use single high intensity LEDs instead of a strip so you can space them closer together.

Or do some ish like this...
Thanks man appreciate your time & info..

Old 01-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Thanks man appreciate your time & info..

naow go dooet!

...and post pics!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 AM
WOW those are hot! Will they fit an 05 6MT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Headlight Mod