Notices

Interior LED conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35
Interior LED conversion

i swapped my interior lights a while back into LEDs and i just noticed that when the lights are off they dont turn off completely, any idea why?

LEDs were bought from V-LEDs.

this might be the reason why my battery is draining i guess

Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Check out where this is discussed on another forum. Looks like there is a current going to them even though the car is off.

http://forums.focaljet.com/interior-...-led-glow.html

The following users liked this post:
Knightstiq (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a little older post and did not get much action, but I'm brining it back to see if anybody had input to resolve the glow issue or deem it not an issue at all.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Knightstiq
This is a little older post and did not get much action, but I'm brining it back to see if anybody had input to resolve the glow issue or deem it not an issue at all.
One of the very first thing one learns in electronic school is ohms law.

E = IR

Voltage equals current times resistance

When you change bulbs ohms law becomes very important to the ECU in a vehicle

Telcoman

Old 06-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by telcoman

E = IR

Telcoman
Wow, why didn't anybody else figure that out? Your insight to ohms law figured it out.
Now tell us about gravity, I'll bet the apple falls to the ground or water runs down hill.....
If anyone can tell us how they resolved the issue, please pass it along.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
You could probably fix it by installing some kind of resistors or something...but it's really a non issue

Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 260 Likes on 210 Posts
G35

E = IR

Telcoman
One of the very first thing one learns on car forums is stupidity.

Smart azz = Stupid

Stupid asnwer equals no answer

When you reply to a topic, either reply with something useful or STFU. That becomes very helpful if you do.

SAMzG35

Old 06-08-2013, 10:05 PM
++11 Well said.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G37 IPL
not saying telcoman properly said what he meant, but for being the only one with insightful info, you might not dismiss him so easily. That being said I've done many car audio installs (which generally wouldn't apply, but in this case I believe do). Perhaps (and only perhaps as I dont have similar bulbs to test with) these LEDs cause a residual power drain due to the existing wiring harness. Simply using an aftermarket kit to change the bulbs may or may not take into account the residual power flowing through the wiring (even while the car is off). Thus, his summation of ohms law is actually correct. My initial introspect is that too much current is being drawn off of the wiring thus causing power drain. The original used less power to run, and was designed to do exactly what it does. My only answer for what to do is to find which fuse (under the hood) runs the interior lights and throw a toggle switch inline... Its the easy way out. Only other way is to lower the resistance, thus lowering the voltage to it, and thereby lowering the overall output of the lights, be-it the car is running or off. With the higher yield off of the same amount of power, your battery is sure to drain. So feel free to talk crap to those offering help, or brush up on your knowledge of power flow and take heed of the advice offered. (BTW to eliminate the problem would require lowering the fuse directly tied to the gauge lighting system... But that would be following OHMs law, which you are apparently against because you dont understand and wanted people like us to STFU as you said)

Old 06-11-2013, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by minchia
not saying telcoman properly said what he meant, but for being the only one with insightful info, you might not dismiss him so easily. That being said I've done many car audio installs (which generally wouldn't apply, but in this case I believe do). Perhaps (and only perhaps as I dont have similar bulbs to test with) these LEDs cause a residual power drain due to the existing wiring harness. Simply using an aftermarket kit to change the bulbs may or may not take into account the residual power flowing through the wiring (even while the car is off). Thus, his summation of ohms law is actually correct. My initial introspect is that too much current is being drawn off of the wiring thus causing power drain. The original used less power to run, and was designed to do exactly what it does. My only answer for what to do is to find which fuse (under the hood) runs the interior lights and throw a toggle switch inline... Its the easy way out. Only other way is to lower the resistance, thus lowering the voltage to it, and thereby lowering the overall output of the lights, be-it the car is running or off. With the higher yield off of the same amount of power, your battery is sure to drain. So feel free to talk crap to those offering help, or brush up on your knowledge of power flow and take heed of the advice offered. (BTW to eliminate the problem would require lowering the fuse directly tied to the gauge lighting system... But that would be following OHMs law, which you are apparently against because you dont understand and wanted people like us to STFU as you said)
I'm glad at least one person on this forum understood my reply to the op.

My reply to the op was in no way meant to be condescending and I had no idea there were such immature members on this site with little or no understanding of electrical parameters..

Telcoman

Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 G37 IPL
I'm glad at least one person on this forum understood my reply to the op.

My reply to the op was in no way meant to be condescending and I had no idea there were such immature members on this site with little or no understanding of electrical parameters..

Telcoman
That being said, and in order to help him out, would you re-wire the fuse leading to the cluster with a lower amp fuse altogether? (Which would require more work) Or can you think of a quicker route to achieve the same end (beyond a simple toggle switch)??? And do you think on this particular fuse panel (being a G vs any other vehic) a lower fuse could simply be applied (perhaps a 15 or 20) as I havent looked to see what else beyond (I believe) the clock is tied into the gauge cluster...???

Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by minchia
That being said, and in order to help him out, would you re-wire the fuse leading to the cluster with a lower amp fuse altogether? (Which would require more work) Or can you think of a quicker route to achieve the same end (beyond a simple toggle switch)??? And do you think on this particular fuse panel (being a G vs any other vehic) a lower fuse could simply be applied (perhaps a 15 or 20) as I havent looked to see what else beyond (I believe) the clock is tied into the gauge cluster...???
I would put the original OEM bulbs back to clear the problem.
Not sure what the purpose the change to LED's accomplishes but certainly more research is required.

I suspect he does not own any test equipment nor does it appear that he has the FSM with the wiring diagram to assist him.

After his emotional outburst to me I have no desire to provide any additional assistance to him.

Cheers

Telcoman

Old 06-11-2013, 07:57 PM
At least one of you offered insight to a resolution and isn't just stating they know something about ohms law. Asking for help means help, not just that I know how to help, but doesn't, right. I am not here to bash believe me I like this forum and use it to give and receive help/insight, but think about the response for a second, really, it didn't add value and that is what was being said by me and another.
A toggle switch is a patch, I was looking to see if someone had an engineered solution like the exact value of a resistor that someone may have tried that works.
I'm not sure a lower amp fuse would solve anything, but again, not sure.
Also, I have seen these lights glow for hours, but I when out and looked at them a couple of nights ago and they were completely out. I thought my battery might have been dead or something, but it was fine. Not sure why they finally went out or how long the car was sitting before a complete cut off, but I will start paying more attention and see if there is some time limit.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Knightstiq

A toggle switch is a patch, I was looking to see if someone had an engineered solution like the exact value of a resistor that someone may have tried that works.
Try using a Wheatstone Bridge to figure it out

Telcoman

Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
its not that big of an issue mine do that to. I have had no problem with battery drain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior LED conversion