Notices

Clearance Strips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearance Strips

any one know how to change the bulb clearance strip, (the light strip on the side of the headlights). do i have to take apart the whole thing?

What type of bulb do u use, also? i heard the same as the clear corners... 168???

Old 10-25-2005, 02:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can always use the search function.

but anyways to answer your question. yes they are the same size bulbs as the corners - 168 , 194.

i would say the easiest way to change the clearance strip is the most tedious. you can TRY to attempt to reach the clearance light through your hood. i don't recommend doing this route because 1. you need tiny hands 2. very small opening to work with and thus your hands get cut and hurt 3. have to use extreme caution or you might lose/break your bulb 4. you cant see or know what the hell your doing if this is your first time doing it. so i would say the best way for you to do it right now is through the fender walling.

1. Turn your tires all the way so you can have the most room
2. Now look under your fender and find a few plastic bolts that can be easily push out by any screwdriver. Then look for several screws that have been placed somewhere along there.
3. Once you have taken all the bolts and screws off, carefully pull back the plastic walling so you have a clear visual on the back of the headlight. What your looking for is this black plastic stick-looking thing thats on the opposite side of your low beams. Hard to explain what your suppose to look for, cant really find a pic of it now, but youll notice it. it goes right where yoru clearance light is suppose to be
4. When you find it twist it and it should come loose and there you go, the bulb is placed at the end and all you do is just put the replacement bulb in and twist it back into place
5. Cover everything back up again, screws, bolts etc.

**if you need more clearance to work with, you can always jack up the car or move the tire if needed**

Old 10-25-2005, 05:19 AM
wow, what a perfect respond! thanks

Old 10-25-2005, 08:13 AM
When your looking into the fender, youll see 2 wires a red and a black wire going into the headlight compartment. Youll see it go in the same direction as that Plastic Stick thing. Thats where your clearance light is. When you take out your clearance light, it is IMPERATIVE that you know the way it went in. Getting the light out isnt really hard, getting it back in is the hard part.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm still wondering what the clearance strip is for...so far, no one's answered.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Balzz
I'm still wondering what the clearance strip is for...so far, no one's answered.
it's for nothing... just show and aesthetics.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Balzz
It's for pure bling.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:13 AM
My bulbs are coming out here real soon. I can't stand the look when I only have my markers on and I have this yellowish white light there. Yeah I could put some nice white LED's in there but you know what....too much bling.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 AM
agreed...just for look and thats why i like previous headlights even tho 06 has projectors.
quick question for 06 headlights, can you mount lights on clearance strips or is it completely blocked?

Old 10-25-2005, 12:02 PM
The hardest part for me was getting the two screws removed.. even if you rotate the wheel as far left or right as possible, it's virtually impossible to remove the two screws with a regular screwdriver.. the tire blocks the screwdriver to be properly placed. I removed them by using one of those screwdrivers with multiple bits. I put the bit on the screw and used another wrench to turn it. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Swerving and Weaving
Originally Posted by PeteNJ
It's for pure bling.

why bulb did you use in this picutre? i have tried a few different bulbs and nothing ever comes out right for me. any specific bulb suggestions?

Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 AM
"plastic bolts that can be easily push out by any screwdriver."

how do u do this? and is hyper white a white/bluish enough color?

Old 10-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Poptarts
why bulb did you use in this picutre? i have tried a few different bulbs and nothing ever comes out right for me. any specific bulb suggestions?
It is not a bulb in the conventional sense. It is a 12" Cathode tube that I installed into the clearance strip. Every bulb solution I have seen hasn't appealed to me since it never produces even light. The cathode tube solves this with a nice even pure white light (The camera makes it bluish for some reason). Best thing is the CCFL tube has a service life of 30,000hrs so I will never have to replace it.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:06 PM
pete, where do you get a cathode tube from? and how do you install it?

Old 01-05-2006, 07:17 PM
good question.....Bump

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clearance Strips