Notices

Tail light mod dyi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light info

heres a few final pics of what i did to the stock tail light. for the people that dont know the square led is permantly off even when braking.
sorry i dont have pictures while doing this cause i didnt have my camera with me.
i will do a quick write-up without pictures. this mod is VERY easy to do, even a noob can do it with no prob.

#1 remove taillight from car ( do a search, recently some one posted up a diagram of removing the taillight, should be 3 screws holding it ,size 8 mm)

#2 in these pictures of the backside taillight, remove the black plastic cap with a twist , it should come off easy. remove all the bulbs and wires.

#3 you will see a circuit board like the picture shown, that circuit board is to power both the circle n square leds. either right or left ( i forgot sorry) of the circle board, look carefully inside you will see TWO white plugs attach to the board( it does have very limited space so look carefully). use a small screwdriver and unplug the LOWER plug. make sure you unplug the lower one instead of the upper one because the lower plug is for the square leds and the top plug is for the circle leds.

#4 now your done! the square led will never turn back on and the best part is you wont have to pry apart your taillight which is a pita to do. now put everything back and enjoy!

if anyone wants to attempt this you will be held responsible if anything goes wrong. goodluck

-johnny

Last edited by prelude555; 04-06-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:20 AM
Sorry, what's the end difference from stock. i cant tell from the pics

Old 04-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Im not really feeling this mod, since the cluster LED's actually make the rear end look very aggressive at night time.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:16 AM
So wait, you're disabling half of your tail lights and call it a mod? At least rewire the square cluster to light up while braking. Not feeling this mod.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look good but i agree with espresso i would like to see the square cluster light up when braking. this is more of a info on wiring than anything, this plug does this this one does that etc etc... but im glad you located which plug controls the lower leds.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:45 PM
...if you see it at the night w/o those LEDs...it would look funny.
IMO, rear taillights make G more aggressive and i should say better looking.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you just made your car look like Acura 3.5RL. sorry, not feeling it.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Well, I think it's a cool mod. Yes, it would be awesome if someone could figure out how to make them light up with the brakes.

One main reason for modding is to be different. These are different. Score 1. Completely reversible. Score 2. Now, who's gonna step up with a brake light fix?

Curt

Old 04-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
now i cant wait til sunday (only free time) to take mine off and take a look at the wiring.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Not to bash this guys mod but brakes lights are pretty important part of a car. Being able to mod the brake lights to have the cluster only come on during braking would be considered a "mod". Simply disconnecting the cluster and render it unless is not a mod and actually pretty stupid. Sorry to sound so harsh but that's the truth. Would it be a mod if I simply disconnected all the wires that controlled the turn indicators since I didn't want the amber look while driving?

Old 04-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Espresso
Not to bash this guys mod but brakes lights are pretty important part of a car. Being able to mod the brake lights to have the cluster only come on during braking would be considered a "mod". Simply disconnecting the cluster and render it unless is not a mod and actually pretty stupid. Sorry to sound so harsh but that's the truth. Would it be a mod if I simply disconnected all the wires that controlled the turn indicators since I didn't want the amber look while driving?
Don't the circles still light up brighter during braking? I'm pretty sure they're bright enough to meet DOT standards (truck taillights have way less LEDs than our cars do and they meet DOT). I still don't see why this is an issue unless they don't do either or both of these.

Curt

Old 04-06-2006, 06:04 PM
man you guys are harsh lol. i thought i would share something different with you guys. i didnt expect a bash going on. the reason why i did this is because i want to be different. i know its not a WOW big deal mod i must have but at lease its different. i personally think its look ok, i dont like how the square leds are. does not flow with the rear of the car at all. our rear are rounded somewhat and i think if the coupe had the sedan rear light which is 2 round leds it would look real good.
btw i never said im finish with this mod, i didnt have time the other night so i had to finish it up and put everything back. im working on making the square leds actually light up when braking. i think that would be pretty cool. for the people that are interested ill keep you guys update and thx for the compliments.
one more thing, it does light up brighter when braking and plus we have the 3rd brake light too which helps out alot

Last edited by prelude555; 04-06-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:20 PM
if you like it, don't listen to what other say.

I would say myself that this is not a mod but more just a unplug.

If you like it, I like it.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I like it !!!

Old 04-06-2006, 06:26 PM
^^ thanx , for some reason its not letting me change the title.this is just some taillight infos for you guys NOT A MOD! lol

Last edited by prelude555; 04-06-2006 at 06:32 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tail light mod dyi