Painted my rims black!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sk8bo4rdv
bro u shoulda taped off the inside of the rim so that way u wouldnt have to worry about it looking bad. i did that and they came out GREEEEAAATTT!!!

and dont time attack them! leave em black the stock 18's dont have any lip so it wouldnt make sense to throw time attack vinyl on em unless they were oem 19's.

but all in all GOOD JOB!
We'll see what the inside looks like after I'm done. If it isn't too much of a hassle and it looks like crap I'll try to get some paint on the inner rim.

I think black rims by themselves blend into the tires too much, and a rim stripe, even without a lip, would define the rim against the tire. Once again... we'll just see how it goes so far.

Originally Posted by gr8huntr
How did ya paint em?? With a spray can or paint sprayer...rofl
Spray cans, and did you mean to say a paint gun? Cause uhhh a paint sprayer is... well that's not a real specific thing haha. For the most part you've got paint cans, and a paint gun, fed with an air compressor.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 AM
lol i kno im just havin fun...im kinda like wasted..

Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by NaiveRapture
We'll see what the inside looks like after I'm done. If it isn't too much of a hassle and it looks like crap I'll try to get some paint on the inner rim.

I think black rims by themselves blend into the tires too much, and a rim stripe, even without a lip, would define the rim against the tire. Once again... we'll just see how it goes so far.
they're gonna look siiiiick regardless all u need is a nicce drop to set it off

Old 03-23-2009, 03:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn, I want black rims, hurry up and post finished product!!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:31 AM
faster, faster

Old 03-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
sweeet

Old 03-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by D&G35
i hope u painted the inside too...otherwise it will look like ***
No need to. I didn't do mine when I did matte black. Couldn't tell when the vehicle was in motion or if someone was at a lil bit of a distance.

Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
I would suggest doing the lug nut holes and inside of the wheels
Agreed.

Also, the reason why tape wouldn't stick is because the OEM tires come with some sort of coating on them. I rubbed as much as I could with a terry cloth but it still wouldn't stick. I found some thick foam tape and amazingly it worked.

If the edge of the rim where it meets the tire needs to be painted, use one of those note cards when you spray and just keep it over the tire.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:15 AM
You need to paint the inner part of the barrels too. If not, at least mask it off. If not, it's going to look stupid on the car. Can't wait to laugh at the final result with random primer overspray and black paint overspray behind the spokes.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by triple8sol
you need to paint the inner part of the barrels too. If not, at least mask it off. If not, it's going to look stupid on the car. Can't wait to laugh at the final result with random primer overspray and black paint overspray behind the spokes.
+1234567890

Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Damn you guys are vicious... Like I have said... I will see what it looks like, and if I really think it needs the inner rim painted I will do something about it.

Drop is coming, I have a set of 350Z S-Techs and an Ichiba rear camber kit sitting right beside me. A friend is going to help me put it all on when he has time. I'm driving out of town on Wednesday so, it really wouldn't be a good idea for me to install all of it right now.

I get the feeling a lot of you are saying it'll look like crap because it just sounds like it'll look dumb, not as in you've seen someone do it EXACTLY how I did it, and it looked stupid. What the hell ever, it doesn't matter, it's my car and I'll do whatever I want with it lol

Old 03-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 92 Likes on 76 Posts
you will glad you painted the inner wall..the wheels area already off the car..might as well finish what you started and do it right the first time..no point in half-assing...it's important to look for details..it's what seperates the best from the ricers..

Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by D&G35
you will glad you painted the inner wall..the wheels area already off the car..might as well finish what you started and do it right the first time..no point in half-assing...it's important to look for details..it's what seperates the best from the ricers..
Yeah I know they're already off the car but, I don't know how easy it will be to do that part when I've just done the fronts. The inner part probably should have been done first. Thing is though I don't really feel comfortable priming any of that inner part cause it's going to get little flecks of primer on the fresh paint on the front! I might just scuff it up a little, wipe it down with paint thinner, and throw some black on there. I'm eating breakfast, gonna walk over to the garage in a few.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:59 AM
well I went ahead and painted the backs. No primer just threw the black on. It would have looked fine without it honestly I'm just tired of hearing you guys complain haha.

I'm going to let this all sit for a while and then clear them.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by NaiveRapture
well I went ahead and painted the backs. No primer just threw the black on. It would have looked fine without it honestly I'm just tired of hearing you guys complain haha.

I'm going to let this all sit for a while and then clear them.
Did you at least sand the inside before you painted them? If not how do you expect the paint to stick?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Did you at least sand the inside before you painted them? If not how do you expect the paint to stick?
Nope no sanding, I didnt want to have to completely go back over the fronts again. The area behind the face isn't terribly visible anyways so if the paint isn't perfect I don't think it will matter. I haven't painted my center caps yet, I think I'm going to do them in red since I want something to break up the black. My lugs are silver though so I'm not totally sure yet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painted my rims black!!