Progress Thread: SexyRob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
Progress Thread: SexyRob

Done so many things to my car I figured I finally deserved my own thread. Also seemed like a good idea to consolidate everything and show progress, mainly so I can look back on it and see how much time I've wasted.

I'm, like many of you, am addicted to modding. Ever since I was little I took things apart to see how they work, parents did not like this curiosity of mine because I couldn't always get things back together. I grew up and started figuring things out. I've always been too poor to have people do all the things I want for me, so I had to teach myself many things. My modding began primarily with consoles I used to mod xboxes for people I also was in to paintball and had a bunch of fun modding guns. I later moved to PC's and finally I got a car worth modding, which brings us here.

I've got so many pictures, I'll try to just pick/post ones that summarize the event best so as to not take up 20 pages.

It began June, 2008 when I got the car. I paid $22,000 and it only had 22,000 miles on it. It is a 2006 G35 Coupe, 5AT, Laser Red with Black interior. I waited months to find this combination. I was about to give in and get a Red/Willow when my uncle called me up one day and said he found one on autotrader in my area. A week later I purchased the car from a lady who said she would rather furnish her new house with furniture, than have a car payment. I could tell she babied the car, it was in great condition with no signs of neglect. Being the paranoid person that I am, I took it to my friends shop to check it out. Everything looked good so I got my bank to send the check.

After getting it home I gave it a thorough cleaning even though it had been "detailed"

I told myself I would wait a year before I started modding, but $250 less and 2 months later I had purchased clear corners, JDM RHD Battery Cover, NRG CF hood struts, Z-Tube and K&N Panel Filter.

Next came lowering it, because damn they sit high from the factory... I got some 350z Tien H-Tech springs and installed them.

at the time I was in to the "luxury" part of my car. I decided to make it better by adding sound dampening. I sprayed foam in pockets that would hold it, and added dynamat in the doors and trunk.

Around the same time I replaced the stock speakers with Alpine Type X components

I then decided I wanted my car to make some better noise so I installed Bassani true dual exhaust. I listened to so many sound clips it made me sick, then I found Bassani, they typically make exhaust for mustangs but after hearing it on the G I fell in love.

after doing my first "performance" mod I decided I wanted to so something that would improve my handling. I got a NRG strut bar. Being the obsessive person that I am, I had to paint the polished AX6 (LR) to match the car

at this point I began my journey into LED work. I changed the LED's in the door switches, and added accent lighting.

in a newfound quest to remove all chrome from my car, I painted my grill. Also debagged everything but the "fuji"

came across a great deal on a new set of LMGT-4s so I had to buy them, months later I wrapped them up in Toyo TR1's and strapped them on my car. Despite being bigger and wider then my stock 17's, they weighed less!

tires are 245/40/18 and 275/40/18

Not being satisfied with the clear corner, (and pursuing my quest to remove chrome) I cut open the clear corner and painted it AX6 (LR) and put some LEDs in it

This concludes 2008.

Last edited by sexyrob; 05-29-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Begin 2009

After receiving an unexpected Christmas bonus I decided it was time to purchase a Radio and JDM double din. While I was in there I changed out the LED's too. The Radio is a Pioneer F90BT, also got the HD Radio Add-on and the PAC-SWI steering wheel control unit.

In Feb of this year I ended up getting in a small front end collision. This meant it was time to get a Nismo bumper. Also did emblemless grill at this time.

and mounted my radar up on the headliner, also hid cable and installed a homelink mirror.

I felt like I wanted more power so I found some used Hi-Flow cats, I stripped them down and sprayed a ceramic coating on them to keep temps down.

I started modding my headlights:

Clear TSX lense

Custom LED audi style

Primed

Painted

LEDs

Put LEDs in the projector for demon Eye mod

Got a good deal on headers and installed them. It was a pain!

welded up and painted the coolant pipes so I could delete the throttle body warmer and the oil "cooler" since I don't need these in Texas. Also installed a Nismo thermostat at this time because I planned on tracking my car in the future.

did some more work on the LED swap project. Got the AC/Compass display, heater switches, and trunk/vdc/slip done.

thinking I could make some more power, I took apart my throttle body, painted, bored, and polished it.

also to make more power, I ported and polished the plenum assembly, down to the heads.

apparently I bought a pop charger some time this year

and painted it all

at the end of the year I found some time to finish up my LED swap. I did the cluster.

also got dynoed

Didn't put down what I wanted, but it was a mustang dyno and I did better than most people at the Z vs G dyno day. 5AT defiantly sucked some power. only made 231hp 220 TQ. It really needed a tune at this point.

also just noticed I had a nismo diffuser at this point.

this concludes 2009

Last edited by sexyrob; 05-29-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Begin 2010

engine bay at this point was meh...

Started my wiretuck, also noticed I had my project mu pads up front now.

then moved on to swapping springs to coils. Picked up some Tein Comfort Sport coils

Stole them from this guy (also noticed full rear debadge now)

Installed the EDFC for the coils, and a ZR3 laser shifter that my uncle had sitting around not using.

Also had to change the green LED's to red and white of course.

I came across a Carbon fiber strut bar for a good price, so I had to get it...

Ended up getting Nismo R-tune cams around the same time. Although they would have to wait to go in. I got some of the ZeeToys Caps for my fluid tanks, and a greddy catch can.

Nismo Sides installed

and got spacers 10/15 (F/R) spacers on to bring wheels out a bit

Did a big intake test around this time that got stickied.
https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...take-mods.html

installed my SPL v3 front camber arms, and SPL rear, also did SPL compression rod bushings at the same time.

tucked the main engine harness added a spacer

Cams installed months later. Click here for writeup / thread

had bolts and other parts powder coated

timing cover (which was supposed to be black and BRONZE)

sealed back up.

engine bay soon after at a show

and a vid from the show. I drive by @ 3:00

oh yeah, and I won best infiniti at the show

(white guy with trophy)

end 2010

Last edited by sexyrob; 05-29-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 PM
begin 2011

my christmas present to myself came began stripping them down for powerdercoating.

brackets

installed

did a video of my headlights

at a car show

decals for calipers came in

I started trying to get a G37 Cluster to work in our cars

trunk adjusted, also got a CF roof spoiler

put on sways and endlinks

installed my transgo shift kit

did another dyno day, this time I put down 251 hp (dyno jet) it needs a tune so bad after the cams...

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k119/cmblack13/Dyno%20Day%20GSS/?action=view&current=GSSDynoDay028.mp4
got Stuck on the way out of the shop after getting off the dyno, too low I guess.

I got pulled over on a group cruise

and then THIS happened. I was on the highway behind a truck, he moved and got over so I went to pass. As I was going forward he came back on me and pushed me in to the HOV lane. Both sides of the car were F'ed also the front right headlight, fender, and bumper were messed up. front left rim was dented in.

got really sad at this point, debated on stripping the car and selling off everything. Just sucks putting so much time and energy in to something and then having it destroyed in a split second. After thinking about everything I decided to just get it fixed, heck this was a good time to get some stuff done while it was in the shop. The insurance found the other driver at fault which was good, I thought I was going to have to fight them on this one. They also covered most of my damaged aftermarket parts which was nice (he had farmers by the way.)

End bad times...

Last edited by sexyrob; 05-29-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Begin good times!

took apart the front and rear end to check out the damage.

Maybe some one will get this before I post the rest? Also, pulled dents out of the rear quarter.

First item on the agenda, wheels. I finally get to make the LMGT4 my dedicated track wheels.
Picked up some Rays SF-Winnings: 9.5 x 19 +19 Front, 10.5 x 19 +29
They were originally Polished barrel, gunmetal face, but I had them powdercoated to a gloss black barrel with a flat black face. I'll also need some spacers to put them where I want them.
I was hoping that with the width and offset I wouldn't need a spacer up front but they wouldn't clear my Akebonos, so I put a 3/16" (6.3mm) spacer up front and a 1/2" (12.5) can't remember what was on the rims when I took these pictures, I think it was 10mm up front and nothing in the back. This was just a test fitting.

Red lugs maybe?

hated cleaning around the stupid door handle, so I shaved it.
door reskinned and handle shaved

and the other side

started grinding so we could begin welding up useless holes left from the wiretuck

started welding

and I had to relocate the main harness, which required a hole.

got some putty in the bay and started smoothing it out.

Got tired of my driver side side marker falling out, so I shaved them all together.

also decided I wanted to complete my Nismo kit theme. But I never like the rear aprons because they looked tacked on... so I molded them.

core support shaved

Last edited by sexyrob; 06-19-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Time for some new stuff!

Seats came in, Bride VIOS III

couldn't wait so I put them in the Buick to try them out... tight fit but it will inspire me to eat less fast food.

took them apart and taped and masked everything off.

sanded the backs to prep for painting. I will be matching the exterior color on the backs of the seats.

seat rails came in! these were the hardest thing to find... I think I got the last set in the US for the g35 (cpv35)

also bought ARP extended studs because I wasn't happy with the amount of threads the lugs were grabbing with the new set of wheels.

finished the cut-in work!

rolling in to the booth for some paint

getting ready to mask off

Everything taped and bagged

engine bay ready for primer

primer/sealer coat

mixing paint

silver base coat

kandy top coat

trunk primed

Front end coming back together

primed and blocked

wetsanded the whole car

engine back together

rear bumper primed and blocked

Bumper Painted

Seats Painted

Installed

New Paint - House of Kolor: FBC-02 Base KBC-11 Top

Last edited by sexyrob; 07-03-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Oil Sandwich Plate with Oil pressure and Temp

shaved the gauges down on the top and bottom so they would fit in my console

auto-x pics courtesy of the legendary tony walls (twalls)

and a video from my go-pro camera

going to a local show

at the show

Got my supercharger installed

Specs:
2006 G35 5AT
Vortech Revup kit modified for non-rev
3.13 pulley
725cc ID injectors
HPX PMAS
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Nismo Cams
Strup Headers
ART Pipes
Greddy TIc exhaust 2.75" true dual

went to the track this weekend for the first time and had a blast!!

got some pics of prepping the car

swapped out stock akebono pads for project mu b-force

put my lmgt4 back on wrapped in new advan neova ad08

engine bay clean

checked everything over and started fixing exhaust leaks.

got v-band clamps welded on the greddy TI-c exhaust, and ordered the wrong size for the art-pipes so we had no choice but to weld it all together, oh well screw it.. as long as it holds on the track!

and some track footage (open in youtube and make it 720p) (if you get bored skip to 7 minutes and watch me go off the track lol)

I LOVE the brake pads, no fade and they were quieter than stock, they grabbed hard when I wanted them to.
I LOVE the tires, they made me feel so comfortable out there and were very predictable
I LOVE my lmgt4s I forgot how nice it is to have light 18's on my car again...

Also went to a local dyno day to hang out, I put my car up to see if it was still making the power it was when it was tuned back in october. To my surprise it was down to 335hp from 350hp... I always hated the filter and I'm guessing it was pretty clogged because I did a few runs without the filter and I instantly gained 33hp. I now am making 368hp on a low reading mustang dyno. Also there was a guy who was NA and recently purchased the kinetix manifold. I convinced him to let me try it on my newly boosted engine. I did dyno's back to back to back same strapping to compare my modified manifold with spacer to the kinetix that claims like 30hp.. it didn't make anymore power and actually the power curve came in later, basically shifted to the right. So that was disappointing but not surprising. it's shiny but thats about it!

been wrestling with this fuel return for a few days now, the heat is kicking my ***! it's been 106 for the past week.

forgot about this, won in october 2011

Last edited by sexyrob; 05-29-2013 at 01:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sexyrob:
Crzyazzpolak717 (08-10-2011), Ndianx (06-21-2012)
Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
great write up. looking forward to more.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
subscribed. looks great man!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Sick stuff Rob. LED work is just plain awesome!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
Very niiiiiiiiiice!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:10 AM
can you please delete that? I put the thread in there for people that want more info. I want to keep this clean and structured, thanks!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
niceeeeee =)

Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
COol Mods! Can you post pics with you leds on.. while there installed on your car..you know what I mean

Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 AM
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Cant wait to see more

The following users liked this post:
Elpuas3000 (06-27-2011)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Progress Thread: SexyRob