6k/3k installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010 | 12:54 PM
Any trouble with cops running those 3k's? I had them on my S14 and got a couple of warnings for it. then again they were my lowbeams

Old 09-28-2010 | 12:55 PM
|
Mr.202?
Premier Member
^ nope, I dont see how you could. Halogens are Yellow lol

Old 09-28-2010 | 12:59 PM
Hmmm. Maybe the cop was just pulling my Jimmy when he told me 3k's were below the legal limit.

Old 09-28-2010 | 01:05 PM
|
Mr.202?
Premier Member
^ what legal limit? lol The only law I know of is if the color is Blue or Red then its illegal.

Old 09-28-2010 | 02:28 PM
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
^+1. There isn't a legal limit. He was making crap up.

Old 09-28-2010 | 03:23 PM
maybe in Florida they don't give a ****, but there's a lot of guys I know in GA that have gotten real tickets they had to pay with real money. I'm not tryin to start a monopoly game here I was just curious if you'd ever had any trouble, and obviously you haven't.

Old 09-28-2010 | 04:57 PM
|
Mr.202?
Premier Member
^ hmm were they glaring? All I can find is that they cannot have tint on them unless it came from the factory like that. Which is pretty much the same in FL.

Weird, do you know what they got written up on?

Old 09-28-2010 | 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Gentlmens6MT
maybe in Florida they don't give a ****, but there's a lot of guys I know in GA that have gotten real tickets they had to pay with real money. I'm not tryin to start a monopoly game here I was just curious if you'd ever had any trouble, and obviously you haven't.
general law states you can not have red or blue lights, obviously because they are law enforcement colors. You are not allowed to have 4 auxiliary lights ON at the same time, you can have as many as you want but only 2 are allowed to be on. The yellow in the headlight is a grey area, some states might say you have to have some form of WHITE headlights.

But NO LAW in the US mentions "the legal limit is ?K" The law doesn't know/understand what a K is. But HID in non-oem housings are illegal, THIS EVEN INCLUDES retrofits as once you open up your headlights they are no longer DOT approved. So if they ticket you for "illegal headlights" they are 100% right. Regardless if you have a 16k HID kit, OEM s2000 retrofit, 3k and anything else. How close they pay attention to it is all pending state/ knowledge of the LEO that stopped you.

Obviously if your running 3k in your low-beams, you will get stopped because you dont blend in. But if you have like 6k kit blinding people, you can just say " OH i'm sorry i had my highbeams on" might get off.

Old 09-28-2010 | 05:09 PM
? = 2B || !2B
Premier Member
You also may do well to explain to the officer that you installed 3K as a safety measure because of their superior performance in rain and fog.

Old 09-28-2010 | 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
Obviously if your running 3k in your low-beams, you will get stopped because you dont blend in. But if you have like 6k kit blinding people, you can just say " OH i'm sorry i had my highbeams on" might get off.
lol the funny thing about it is that when I flipped my highbeams on the HID lows automatically turned off, they would never be on the same time, so half the time I would just drive around with my brights on at all times because my car was too slammed for anyone to ever flash at me coming the other way.

But as far as the Kelvin being illegal I'm pretty sure cops have no idea what they are talking about; however, what Turtle mentioned about retrofitting HID's into non-hid OEM setups is definitely not DOT approved. Honestly I think if a cop pulls you over for headlights they are just looking for something to bitch about..

Old 09-28-2010 | 05:56 PM
|
Mr.202?
Premier Member
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
You are not allowed to have 4 auxiliary lights ON at the same time, you can have as many as you want but only 2 are allowed to be on.
In florida you can roll with the fog lights on, I emailed FHP

You may use fog lights with dim light only. The law does not describe when to use them, only how you are to use them.
and

Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower headlamp beams as specified in s. 316.237(1)(b)

Old 09-29-2010 | 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
In florida you can roll with the fog lights on, I emailed FHP

you dont understand what i'm saying. auxiliary lights are non-headlights. The 2 popular ones are fog lights and driving lights. you can have them mounted, think JEEP or SUBARU's with the 4 front mounted fogs PLUS the headlights. But you cant not have all 4 mounted fogs on + headlights while driving. You can have 2 fogs + 2 headlights. or 2 headlights + 2 driving lights.

But some states might no care who many lights you have. Most states use a template given to them by like IDHS or DOT, they cut and paste w/e they want to add or remove. like TINTS.

The kicker is these are such small, stupid and pointless laws for the most part, a good amount of LEOs have no clue what is or isn't. They will warn you, give you crap about them and use that as a reason to stop you rarely tickets will be issued. THey use that as a cover to get for seltbelts, tint, drugs and w/e. i've talk to couple local cops about this and " probable cause" comes up a lot. IF they do ticket you for have 3k headlights, tell them to WRITE that down. Get that thrown out ASAP.

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:12 PM
looks good. So what did you do about ur high beams?? Since you dont have the projector headlights

Old 10-07-2010 | 01:10 AM
Im still waiting for lowerd4lyfe to see if that was the problem which im more then sure it was

Old 10-07-2010 | 12:39 PM
|
Mr.202?
Premier Member
Originally Posted by hi-tek22
looks good. So what did you do about ur high beams?? Since you dont have the projector headlights
no high beams, If you buy a Bi-xenon HID kit it should work. I never use High beams so I did not mind loosing it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6k/3k installed