New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Zaino or Zymol?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007 | 04:10 PM
RCK
|
Question Zaino or Zymol?

Picking up a new G35S 6MT tomorrow. Any thoughts about whether to go with Zaino or Zymol? Have used Zymol on my dark green Passat and thinking about doing the same with Blue Slate G. Have heard Zaino best with light colors and Zymol with dark (polish vs. wax perhaps).

Sounds like Zaino system is a lot more work but perhaps worth it.

Do I need to clay a new clear coat finish or just see how gritty the G finish feels when I pick it up and decide based on that?

Thanks for any input.

Old 07-02-2007 | 04:14 PM
G35driver Addict
i like zaino, but have not tried zymol.
you shouldn't need to claybar on a brand new car.

Old 07-02-2007 | 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by izmir41500
i like zaino, but have not tried zymol.
you shouldn't need to claybar on a brand new car.
agreed. i've been using zaino since i purchased my car and it has been great.

if you use zaino, just wash your car the first time with dish soap (this is included in the zaino instructions) ....no need to clay it

Old 07-02-2007 | 05:16 PM
Zymbol is not bad. My friends got it to share on their gray '03 Accords (two girls who didn't care much about their paint). Looks pretty good. Zaino is not a wax, however. It's a thin layer of polymer, so it's like adding a thin layer of plastic protection to your car. I find that Zaino lasts WAY longer than any wax I've used (usually only lasts 3 months or so). I also have Meguiar's NXT -- pretty good results.

You can't go wrong with Zaino. For the $80+ kit, you get everything you need, and it'll last you forever. I have my first Zaino coat since Dec, and it is STILL holding up well. Then again, weather here in the Bay Area is relatively mild year round. For any detailing product, here's what the general sequence:

1) Wash with dish washing liquid (Dawn is the most popular)
(Tip: If you have no choice but to wash your car under the sun, try washing only half of your car at a time. That way, you won't get water and soap spots.)
2) Rinse
3) Clay bar (only if your paint feels rough to the touch) using either the detailer spray that comes with your bar (Mother's does), or a clean bucket of soapy water
4) Rinse
5) Wash again with dish washing liquid (I used to wash twice, then clay bar)
6) Rinse
7) Dry
8) Polish - either using a liquid polish (don't need to wait to wipe off), or polish tools like the popular Porter Cable or the 3M buffers
9) Wax on, wait at least 30min - 1hr
10) Wax off
11) Repeat steps 9-10, until you have 2 or more coats of wax/Zaino

With Zaino, I also spray on Z-6 in between coats of Z-2/5. It adds a layer of wet, shiny gloss. Because of the extra steps with Zaino, I spent 6 hours for only 2 coats of Z-2/5 last time, with 1hr of wait time in between each coat.

Some people wait for their new car's paint to fully cure before stripping the factory coat of wax. Using dish washing liquid shouldn't hurt the clear coat.

Old 07-02-2007 | 05:21 PM
First of all, which zymol are you referring to, they have many products which range in price from $15 to $1000+, that will make a big difference. As for the look, a carnuaba beats out a synthetic sealant any day of the week on any color, but with a significantly shorter lifetime, if you are willing to reapply every few weeks and want the best looking finish, a good carnuaba such as zymol can't be beat. Zaino or other sealants such as Meg's #21 combine decent looks with superior durability. In either case, a good claying is absolutely necessary imo, the trip from the plant to the dealership allows plenty of time for surface contamination

Old 07-02-2007 | 05:31 PM
Zaino is good but, nothing special personally it doean't do any do good on my car. But in another hand i like Zymol better but, it's a pain in **** to work with.

Old 07-02-2007 | 06:01 PM
Old 07-02-2007 | 07:36 PM
I personally like zymol, never used zaino. I also like meguiars nxt wax last long time.

Old 07-02-2007 | 10:16 PM
I haven't used the Zymol products so I can't speak for them, but Zaino has great polishes and sealants available. I have been using Zaino on my cars for about the last 6 years with great results. Some swear by Zaino others by Zymol at the end of the day it really comes down to what you think works best and provides the results you want. Like redlude said, waxes have a shorter lifetime than polymer based products, but tend to have a deeper shine. Personally I prefer the durability of the polymer especially in the NC summer heat and humidity...the last thing I would want to be doing is applying wax every couple of weeks , I'd rather be

Old 07-02-2007 | 10:51 PM
RCK
|
Thanks for all your responses. The Zymol product I've been using was the wax for dark finishes on my dark green '97 Passat VR6, The cost was not hundreds of dollars but about $60 for a jar, which lasted for years in the refrigerator.

Yes, Zymol can be a pain in the *** to work with. It took me about 2-3 tries to get the technique down. You've got to use the wax very sparingly and buff off with a very light touch, not buffing really but almost flicking the towel. And best in low humidity and in the shade.

Think I'll stick with Zymol. But I'll use the Zymol HD-Cleanse clay product first.

Old 07-02-2007 | 11:01 PM
I like Zymol on lighter cars and Zaino on darker cars. Zymol on a black car is hard to get perfect.

Can you add the Zaino sealer drops to Zymol to improve Zymol’s durability?

Old 07-02-2007 | 11:17 PM
I've used both zymol and zaino and just recently the ICE line from Turtle Wax I believe... It's another synthetic wax, detailer and shampoo but the plus is that I can use it on all car surfaces with out the discoloration to rubber, unpainted surfaces, headlights and tailights etc... it's pretty good I was suprised by the results. If you don't want to spend the $$$ for the high end Zymol, Zaino is a much cheaper and user friendly alternative and in my case if you don't feel like dealing with distributors possibly watering down the zaino products or overcharging then go with the ICE line it's at any local Walmart/autoparts store for less than $20 for each product.

Old 07-02-2007 | 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by perry05G35
...if you don't feel like dealing with distributors possibly watering down the zaino products...
Whoa man, are you serious? That would really suck ! I'm sure the guys at Zaino would like to know if this is the case. Have you contacted them? They are very accessible to their customers...