New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

New guy here, looking to buy my first G real soon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy here, looking to buy my first G real soon

Hey, I'm Robert. I reside in Jacksonville, FL, 19 years old, used to be a student at the University Of North Florida, and am now a poolee in the United States Marine Corps. Before I ship off the recruit training in October, I'm looking to buy my first G.

A little more about me: I love heavy metal [obviously]. I've always had a "thing" for G35's for a long time, and I knew it some point I'd own one. Cars, firearms, and heavy metal are my top 3 hobbies, and pretty much the only real shyt I care about other than fitness and the Marine Corps.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being an owner of my very own G35! Hopefully I can become a more productive member on here once I get my G. I've been skulking around for a bit, and I have to say this is a great forum! Can't wait to get my G!

Thanks for lookin!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
welcome to driver! gl on your search for a g35. do you know if you are looking to buy stock or already modded?? this is a good forum to cruise through and find information about the g's as well as some for sale. not sure if you've already made up your mind between the 03-05 compared to the 06-07 but here is a thread to get you started and show you some little differences between the two.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...s-06-07-a.html

Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks!

I'm in the market for an 03-05 coupe. I was looking into buying a member's G on here that he posted for sale. We'll see how that goes though.

I'm lovin this site though. So much information and incredibly helpful members. I'm gonna enjoy my stay here, I can already tell.

Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Double post excellence.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Don't buy it now. Your going to be making next to nothing for the first few years in the USMC, don't be that guy who is using his whole paycheck to pay his car note. Then you wont have money to do anything else. I've been in the Army for 7 years now and I've seen plenty of soldiers do this. Wait a few years, trust me.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^^Agreed. What's going to happen to the car while you are in training or stationed somewhere distant. Save your money and buy a motorcycle for the summer (if you need a speed fix), then sell it at season's end.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 PM
I was planning on keeping the car with me and using it while on base and doing other activities. I have family that are retired Marines and they recommend me having a car with me while on base.

Responsibility is telling me to wait until my stay in the Corps is over, but I really want this car. I dunno.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I know how you feel...I said **** everything and bought it tho lol And hoped I made the right decision...I hope you will too

Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Wait until you get where ever it is that your going. You could end up in Korea or Japan or _________ . Having a car will be helpful but having a car that takes your whole paycheck is not helpful. I know what your going to get as an E1 and it's not much. How much is your insurance for a G at 19 years old? These things suck down gas like no tomorrow ( and it's premium only). Go get a 1990 Toyota Camry for $2000 and wait on the G for a little while.

And a side note, it isn't too late to just go back to college and forget about the military. Your contract is not binding. At any point before you go to boot camp you can change your mind and don't let your recruiter tell you anything different.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Janitor is right i used to be in the USAF and never really owned an expensive car while I was in.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I have to agree with "TheJanitor" the G's take up a lot of dough every month and I thought I'd be sittin' pretty when I got my G but I soon found out that I was barely able to afford living expenses and my G at the same time without taking on more hours at work. So yes the car is worth it, but it can be a major struggle. Especially with insurance. I am 21 and was lucky to get $1800/year on my policy. And can't imagine it being any less for a 19yo.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by TheJanitor6203
Wait until you get where ever it is that your going. You could end up in Korea or Japan or _________ . Having a car will be helpful but having a car that takes your whole paycheck is not helpful. I know what your going to get as an E1 and it's not much. How much is your insurance for a G at 19 years old? These things suck down gas like no tomorrow ( and it's premium only). Go get a 1990 Toyota Camry for $2000 and wait on the G for a little while.

And a side note, it isn't too late to just go back to college and forget about the military. Your contract is not binding. At any point before you go to boot camp you can change your mind and don't let your recruiter tell you anything different.
I understand. And I respect your wisdom as well. I might hold off until after I'm stationed and make the decision then.
I'm actually enlisting as an E-2, with possibility of another promotion.
Insurance isn't too bad, as I'm still on a family plan and I get a multitude of discounts. However, it's still gonna be a kick in the pants.

I've been "on the fence" about my enlistment for a long time too. Only recently did I decide college isn't for me [at least not right now]. I'll admit that I lack the discipline and structure in my life at the moment to be able to go to school and hold down 2 part-time jobs. After a looooooooooong talk with family I decided that this is what's best for me. I might try to get back into school while in the Corps. I plan on being in 8 years, but probably longer. I've been very pro-military growing up and this is something I want to do with my life.

I'm not trying to sound like a d!ck 19 year old kid, just conversing. Please don't take offense to what I'm saying.

Back on track though. So the general consensus from all the seasoned members here is that I should wait on my G until I get stationed/get out of the Corps? The irresponsible kid in me tells me to "go ahead, get the car, it's soooo cooooool," but the adult in me says to wait like you guys are saying.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalHead247365
I understand. And I respect your wisdom as well. I might hold off until after I'm stationed and make the decision then.
I'm actually enlisting as an E-2, with possibility of another promotion.
Insurance isn't too bad, as I'm still on a family plan and I get a multitude of discounts. However, it's still gonna be a kick in the pants.

I've been "on the fence" about my enlistment for a long time too. Only recently did I decide college isn't for me [at least not right now]. I'll admit that I lack the discipline and structure in my life at the moment to be able to go to school and hold down 2 part-time jobs. After a looooooooooong talk with family I decided that this is what's best for me. I might try to get back into school while in the Corps. I plan on being in 8 years, but probably longer. I've been very pro-military growing up and this is something I want to do with my life.

I'm not trying to sound like a d!ck 19 year old kid, just conversing. Please don't take offense to what I'm saying.

Back on track though. So the general consensus from all the seasoned members here is that I should wait on my G until I get stationed/get out of the Corps? The irresponsible kid in me tells me to "go ahead, get the car, it's soooo cooooool," but the adult in me says to wait like you guys are saying.
I understand your dilemma man. And it is not like you gotta give up on the car. Just wait and make sure it is in your budget. =) I listened to the "kid in me" and now I am working hard to keep it in my name lol. Good luck though and I wish you the best and safe travels if you chose to enlist.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Something else to think about. How are your peers going to react someone your age having such a car. Last thing you'd want is for someone to key it or worse because they're jealous.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by TheJanitor6203

Premium only? Crap how bad is it if ive been using regular? Thats what the guy at the dealership said I could use. Ive never looked into that. Sorry OP for the off topic question!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New guy here, looking to buy my first G real soon