New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

White smoke when accelerating.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White smoke when accelerating.

So the other week I was driving around and decided to floor it for fun but instantly noticed there was a time of white smoke blowing behind me.
I recently re did my valve cover gaskets, a new thermostat, new radiator, with an oil change.
I haven't had any problems with my G but I don't believe I have a failing head gasket.
Could it be-
burning oil or too much oil consumption, oil leak? Maybe burning coolant.
but there's no other signs of a blowing head gasket so I'm not sure what it really is, if there is a small hole in my gasket would something like "steel seal" help?

Anyone have any ideas to help with this problem?

Old 04-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,020 Likes on 937 Posts
Keep an eye on the oil level, it very well could be burning oil.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:49 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Do you floor it often? It could just be soot buildup belching out, though that usually isn't white..

Old 04-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Keep an eye on the oil level, it very well could be burning oil.
I usually keep an eye on my oil but I don't have a catch can installed even though I know I should

The following users liked this post:
lctanner (05-18-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by g356sp
Do you floor it often? It could just be soot buildup belching out, though that usually isn't white..
I occasionally floor but I have never seen that much smoke come out before

Old 04-06-2018, 02:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,157 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Keep an eye on fluid levels, that will be the best indicator that you are ingesting fluids.

Keep in mind this is spring time and you will get a substantial amount of condensation/evaporation coming out of the pipes until everything is up to temp. If you are still having this problem once the exhaust system is up to temperature then you are probably consuming something, it's really hard to tell from the driver seat exactly what it is but if you can get someone else to drive your vehicle and reproduce the issue while you follow it's very easy to tell if you are burning oil because of the smell.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When you did all that coolant system work, are you sure the coolant was properly bled? If there is any air bubble in the system, you might notice temperature instability or overheating, or loss of heat from the heater. The G35 coolant is highly sensitive to any air in the system and will behave weird if not bled all the way.

When I replaced my radiator and refilled with coolant, I still had an air pocket and I was making some white smoke with throttle. I was very afraid it was a head gasket since I had bought the car with a cracked radiator. I bought one of those radiator filler funnels that allow you to put a few inches of coolant above the rad cap for proper bleeding. After a few thermostat cycles and hose burping with the bleeding funnel, the temperature stabilized, my heat came back, and the white smoke went away.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by maschinenbau
When you did all that coolant system work, are you sure the coolant was properly bled? If there is any air bubble in the system, you might notice temperature instability or overheating, or loss of heat from the heater. The G35 coolant is highly sensitive to any air in the system and will behave weird if not bled all the way
White smoke normally indicates a blown head gasket, keep a very close eye on both oil and radiator fluids! And follow what Maschinenbau suggests too, making sure there's no air in your coolant system!
Gary