New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

2nd owner of a 2003 G35 Sdn. Want inf. on how to change oil and filter.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd owner of a 2003 G35 Sdn. Want inf. on how to change oil and filter.

I inherited a 2003 Infinity G35 from my Son. I would like to know the procedure for the changing the oil and filter myself. I am old school so these cars are new to me with all this computerized gizmos and smog equipment. I changed the air filter today and it seemed I had to remove half of the engine. I was successful though. I want to tackle the the oil and filter next., is there a video or something? I tried the "Search" to no avail. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 06-07-2018, 08:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Oil and filter is basically the same on this engine as any engine ever made. The biggest difference you'll find is there is a large plastic guard under the engine bay that needs to be removed, it's something like 16x 10mm bolts to get it off, just use an impact driver with a socket to get them off quickly. Inspect the lower side of the engine while you're down there for any leaking oil or hoses about to kaboom. There is a crush washer on the drain plug that should be replaced, parts houses will have those so don't forget one, if they ask the size it's M12 x 1.25, generic Nissan crush washer.

Next time you do the air filter just pop the snaps on the filter housing and pry the top of it back towards the firewall, there is enough play in the accordion section of intake duct that you can slide the filter out without removing anything. Personally though I like to take the hose off just after the MAF and spray it out with MAF cleaner every time I change the air filter.

You need to google the service jack point for the G35, it's directly in the center of the engine bay and has this small round "bump" between 2 bolts on the crossmember. If you don't have the proper jack stud or small cup you can just use the large jack cup that your service jack probably has but be careful about how it's rotated, it could potentially slide off if you get it in there all cockeyed. There are little indentations on the frame rails on the outer pinch welds where you put your jackstands, if it has factory side skirts they are poly and will bend in case you only have large jackstands which are a tad bigger than the cutout in the side skirt, this is ok just make sure your jackstands are notched and that the frame rail goes into the notch or use pinch weld adaptors for your jackstands. You don't want to flatten the pinch welds off.

The following users liked this post:
John Franklin (06-07-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:09 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Pretty much everything you need to do to this car has a full on procedure on the internet somewhere. You could have found this answer by googling "G35 coupe DIY oil change" and I guarantee you'll be able to find a YouTube video or a G35driver thread with pictures.

Welcome, BTW!

John Franklin (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Pretty much everything you need to do to this car has a full on procedure on the internet somewhere. You could have found this answer by googling "G35 coupe DIY oil change" and I guarantee you'll be able to find a YouTube video or a G35driver thread with pictures.

Welcome, BTW!
Thanks I found it on the web. I mentioned doing it myself to my wife. She showed me A coupon for $10 off a conventional oil change at Pep Boys. I got the oil and filter change for $24.95 plus tax.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:03 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
That's a pretty good deal BUT, a lot of us will never take our car to Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, Firestone, Goodyear, Sears etc. because most of them use undertrained techs who don't give a crap about doing there job right. There's a whole website dedicated to telling horror stories that have happened at Jiffy Lube. Draining, not replacing the oil, leaving the filter too loose so it quickly comes off while driving and so on.

However, if you find one of those that has a mechanic or mechanics who care, do the right thing and you can trust then that's cool. Personally I like the feeling of self satisfaction by doing maintenance and repairs myself and I know they're done correctly. Another option is to find a local shop that you trust to do the work for you.

John Franklin (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:22 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
These G35s burn oil, if you do your own changes you'll learn how much they're burning exactly so you can add oil in between changes to avoid blowing your engine on a long synthetic interval

John Franklin (06-10-2018)