NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Lemon Law Claim Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lemon Law Claim Update

Good news for those of you that have excessive oil buring in your G35. Infiniti has agreed to buy mine back under New Jersey Lemon Law. I am quite happy about this.

Good luck to all of you who are also dealing with this same problem.

Now I have to start looking for a new car.....

Old 03-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just had my engine replaced in NJ, after how many engines did Infiniti decide to buy yours back?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:29 AM
miles? what ya looking at now?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are people finding out about excessive oil burning? Checking oil levels at intermeidate periods of time after oil change? I've never changed the oil myself, I hardly pay anything to have it done at the dealer b/c of discount.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
How are people finding out about excessive oil burning? Checking oil levels at intermeidate periods of time after oil change? I've never changed the oil myself, I hardly pay anything to have it done at the dealer b/c of discount.
I have '04 6mt with 39k miles, and always serviced my car at the dealer. After dropping the car off for an oil change, I asked them to look into notchiness and grinding when shifting into 2nd gear when cold, and they called me the next day to tell me that the noise I'm hearing is the engine becaue I only had 1.5 qts of oil in there. I sometimes checked the oil color before and after just to make sure they did change the oil, but never noticed low levels, unusual engine noise or any warning lights in my dash.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by monkeyboylawyer
Good news for those of you that have excessive oil buring in your G35. Infiniti has agreed to buy mine back under New Jersey Lemon Law. I am quite happy about this.

Good luck to all of you who are also dealing with this same problem.

Now I have to start looking for a new car.....
What year and model did you have? A friend of mine sounds like he had a similar problem. The only difference is that he had to pay for a new engine.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by TheKnite
I just had my engine replaced in NJ, after how many engines did Infiniti decide to buy yours back?
What year is your's? How long did it take to get Infiniti to replace your engine?

Old 03-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Mine was a 2006 6 MT with 6k miles.

I took it in in December to check on a loud clanging sound at cold start up. Dealership told me I was a couple of quarts low on oil. They started a consumption test which took until February (I don't drive many miles). It failed the test and the dealership set about getting me a new engine. However, Infiniti is no longer replacing engines for this problem as the new engines are just as prone to the oil consumption problem. Instead they are "working on a fix". Unfortunately, Infiniti estimates that it will be a couple of months before they can solve the problem.

I wrote them a letter about two weeks ago notifiying them that I was making a claim under NJ Lemon Law. They just called back yesterday and said they would repurchase the car. We are working out the details now.

The purchase price is based on a formula in the NJ Lemon Law and is more than I could get selling it private party. I will have only lost a couple of thousand.

As for a new car, I am looking at low mileage Lexus GS or Lexus LS (depending on the deal that I can get). I have been burned by Nissan/Infiniti quality twice (280ZX many years ago and G35) and will not be buying another one of their products again.

Good luck guys and thanks for all of the helpful information over the past year.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Mine was a 2006 6 MT with 6k miles.

I took it in in December to check on a loud clanging sound at cold start up. Dealership told me I was a couple of quarts low on oil. They started a consumption test which took until February (I don't drive many miles). It failed the test and the dealership set about getting me a new engine. However, Infiniti is no longer replacing engines for this problem as the new engines are just as prone to the oil consumption problem. Instead they are "working on a fix". Unfortunately, Infiniti estimates that it will be a couple of months before they can solve the problem.

I wrote them a letter about two weeks ago notifiying them that I was making a claim under NJ Lemon Law. They just called back yesterday and said they would repurchase the car. We are working out the details now.

The purchase price is based on a formula in the NJ Lemon Law and is more than I could get selling it private party. I will have only lost a couple of thousand.

As for a new car, I am looking at low mileage Lexus GS or Lexus LS (depending on the deal that I can get). I have been burned by Nissan/Infiniti quality twice (280ZX many years ago and G35) and will not be buying another one of their products again.

Good luck guys and thanks for all of the helpful information over the past year.
You still haven't answered my question. I thought lemon law applies to a repetitive problem (at least 3 tries to fix it). So my question was did they attempt to fix your problem more than once? On what grounds did you win the lemon law?

I also hear a thump/clang sound at cold start up with a new engine as well as I used to with an old one. That sound went away last year for few months after they told me they replaced my throttle body and performed an idle relearn. The bang sound at start up came back tho, and still heard it this morning. The car drives and performs fine so I do not consider this a lemon law problem.

As for the guy asking me how long did it take Infiniti to replace my engine, the answer is a week, and that's only because they didn't have the engine in stock and had to order one and wait for it to come. Than another few days for installation.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by TheKnite
You still haven't answered my question. I thought lemon law applies to a repetitive problem (at least 3 tries to fix it). So my question was did they attempt to fix your problem more than once? On what grounds did you win the lemon law?

I also hear a thump/clang sound at cold start up with a new engine as well as I used to with an old one. That sound went away last year for few months after they told me they replaced my throttle body and performed an idle relearn. The bang sound at start up came back tho, and still heard it this morning. The car drives and performs fine so I do not consider this a lemon law problem.

As for the guy asking me how long did it take Infiniti to replace my engine, the answer is a week, and that's only because they didn't have the engine in stock and had to order one and wait for it to come. Than another few days for installation.

I think he did.

"I wrote them a letter about two weeks ago notifiying them that I was making a claim under NJ Lemon Law. They just called back yesterday and said they would repurchase the car. We are working out the details now. "

Meaning when Dealer/Infiniti Corp. found out he's claiming under NJ Lemon Law that they just voluntarily re-repurchase the car and avoid litigation and other fees and headache. He's one lucky summammabitch

Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 AM
When I was buying my new G on Feb 28th at Inskip in RI, they had TWO coupes in the service department that were each having their engines replaced. One was a silver 06 6MT and the other was a white 05 5at. Not sure what the miles were, but I guess Infiniti is replacing quite a few motors.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:18 AM
monkeyboylawyer/TheKnite

Just wondering how did you guys break-in your engine? Did you follow the Manual not to Rev pass 4k until 1200k miles? I never really followed that procedure except the first 500 miles just because of the clutch. Even my dealer said don't worry about it since engine are already broken in from the factory.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Knite - NJ Lemon Law provides relief in cases where the dealer has made multiple attempts to repair a problem or your car is out of service for more than 20 days.

While my car was not out of service for more than 20 days, Infiniti told me that they would not be able to fix it for months. Therefore, I filed a "pre-emptive" claim under NJ LL. The alternative would be to wait until the 20 days actually expired (yesterday) and start this process. The end result would likely have been the same.

As for break-in, yes, I followed the recommended break-in procedures. Of course, this car had problems with it clutch almost immediately (within 450 miles). I had to have the entire clutch assembly replaced within two months of getting the car.

Too many problems for a new car.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Knite - NJ Lemon Law provides relief in cases where the dealer has made multiple attempts to repair a problem or your car is out of service for more than 20 days.

While my car was not out of service for more than 20 days, Infiniti told me that they would not be able to fix it for months. Therefore, I filed a "pre-emptive" claim under NJ LL. The alternative would be to wait until the 20 days actually expired (yesterday) and start this process. The end result would likely have been the same.

As for break-in, yes, I followed the recommended break-in procedures. Of course, this car had problems with it clutch almost immediately (within 450 miles). I had to have the entire clutch assembly replaced within two months of getting the car.

Too many problems for a new car.
Monkeyboylawyer - I am SJHarris' friend with the similar engine problem on my 2004 6MT 55K. I basically followed the 7500 schedule maintanence but did not service with the dealer. The dealer told me it was neglect on my part give the extremely low amount of oil in the car. It looks like you have had some success with the NJ lemon law (i also bought the car in NJ). Do you think i should pursue this further? As of this moment i have already had the engine rebuilt at a shop specializing in engines. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks monkeyblower. I guess I don't qualify (not that I want to or try to)since this was the first time engine was replaced and they did it within a week.

My service guy didn't say anything until I asked him about the break-in procedure, and he said that for maybe first 200 miles take it easy. I'm trying to follow the break-in procedure from the manual anyway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lemon Law Claim Update