NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Getting a speeding ticket on a hardship license in MA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting a speeding ticket on a hardship license in MA

To make a long story short:

I received 12 surcharge able events in a period of 5 years and they suspended my license for 4 years in the state of MA. I was without a license for 1 year, and after that 1 year, I went to the registry with an attorney and they gave me a hardship license (8am-8pm). I have been driving on the hardship license for a year now, I have 2 more years to go until i get my full driving priveleges back from the state. In October i was pulled over (along with 2 other Z members on these forums no names mentioned). We were all given speeding tickets going 80 on Masspike... it really didnt even feel as if we were going that fast. I was the last one too so i slowed down.

Anyway, I appealed the ticket and i am scheduled for a hearing on 2/12/08. I was wondering if it would be wise of me to bring an attorney, or just try to fight the ticket myself. My question is, if i am convicted of this offense, will they take away my hardship license or prolong my suspension?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

By the way i am selling my Z if anyone is interested. 04 black track 33k miles, with some nice mods

Old 01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
you're fvcked

Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 PM
Definitely bring a lawyer. It'll cost you some good penny but in your case, its definitely worth it. Technically a Hardship License gives you all the same privileges as a regular license. Now if that speeding ticket overlaps into a 5 year period that pushes you above the 12 surchargable events again...then you might be in some deep...

Old 01-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by DRIFTU
To make a long story short:

I received 12 surcharge able events in a period of 5 years and they suspended my license for 4 years in the state of MA. I was without a license for 1 year, and after that 1 year, I went to the registry with an attorney and they gave me a hardship license (8am-8pm). I have been driving on the hardship license for a year now, I have 2 more years to go until i get my full driving priveleges back from the state. In October i was pulled over (along with 2 other Z members on these forums no names mentioned). We were all given speeding tickets going 80 on Masspike... it really didnt even feel as if we were going that fast. I was the last one too so i slowed down.

Anyway, I appealed the ticket and i am scheduled for a hearing on 2/12/08. I was wondering if it would be wise of me to bring an attorney, or just try to fight the ticket myself. My question is, if i am convicted of this offense, will they take away my hardship license or prolong my suspension?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

By the way i am selling my Z if anyone is interested. 04 black track 33k miles, with some nice mods

Dude I had no idea it was this serious!??!!?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:35 PM
yea me either, I feel for you

Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Stop driving like an idiot and you wouldnt be in this situation

2. Your screwed...get a lawyer, squeeze your cheeks together, and hope for the best.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Wowwwwww!!!! And I thought I had a fcked up situation with my license! I would def say bring your lawyer! Thats nothing to mess around with.

I actually just had a court date b/c if you guys remember I was driving on a suspended license and reg for a while.

Anyway Driftu, my lawyer pulled some serious strings and got me a 4 year probationary license...cant get any moving violations for 4 years....Plus I have to do crazy community service hours...gay....

Its a lot different in RI, but you should still def take your lawyer.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
wow I had my license suspended for a year, and I drove while suspended off course, but I drove carefully and obeyed all speed limits and obviously sped here and there but reasonably and always within the flow of traffic. I've got to say that having my license suspended for a whole year was the best thing to happen to me as far as driving goes. The proper habits I rocked while driving illegally still stick with me to this day and I'm a much better driver for it. I'm just wondering didn't all the suspensions teach you anything ? or is it all still the same to you ? and by the way what happens if you lose this appeal? do they take your license for life ?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Well like he said. He wasn't driving like an idiot. MASS PIKE has a speed limit of 65 and he was going 80 following cars. that's not driving like an idiot. He just got unlucky.

When I was 17 I got 2 tickets in one day. hahaha don't ask. I got my license suspended then and had to go to driving school again. I remember how much of a pain in the @$$ it is not to have a license. I feel for you man....

Getting pulled over is like 90% unluckiness and 10% stupidity.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by Sportcoupe35
Well like he said. He wasn't driving like an idiot. MASS PIKE has a speed limit of 65 and he was going 80 following cars. that's not driving like an idiot. He just got unlucky.

When I was 17 I got 2 tickets in one day. hahaha don't ask. I got my license suspended then and had to go to driving school again. I remember how much of a pain in the @$$ it is not to have a license. I feel for you man....

Getting pulled over is like 90% unluckiness and 10% stupidity.
So he got unlucky 12 times in 5 years?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Bring your lawyer bro. That is means for them to revoke your cinderella license. Massachusetts has the worst driving laws in my opinion being everything even not wearing your seatbelt is surchargeable. I had a case where I got pulled over for doing 65mph in a 55mph zone on 93N and switching lanes to avoid fvcking up my bumper becuase of a ladder in the road. When I went to court the b%tch of a magistrate saw I was near the 5 surcharables and reduced the lane violation to 50.00 (just as the @sshat state trooper says I should'nt be driving in the far left lane because it's a passing lane....then WTF are you supposed to switch between 2 lanes everytime you want to pass someone instead of just staying in that lane and driving with the flow of traffic ) and dismissed the speeding resulting in a 30 day suspension. I think that certain stuff should be looked at differntly. I'm pretty sure that if it was some middle aged person driving there Audi or BMW doing 85MPH with a pretty much spottless record after running their plates they would just keep it moving instead of ticketing them.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm not saying he wasn't driving like an idiot for those 5 years...but sounds like for the past year or so, he's been good but just got unlucky this time. He probably was driving like an idiot for those 5 years to get 12 surchargable events.

I hate the laws in Massachusetts. They blow. Like tint and no front plate and stuff like that are surchargable...WTF??? Yeh like having tint or no front plate really says something about my driving ability. Dumb@$$es.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
I think that certain stuff should be looked at differntly. I'm pretty sure that if it was some middle aged person driving there Audi or BMW doing 85MPH with a pretty much spottless record after running their plates they would just keep it moving instead of ticketing them.

Seriously!!! When you have a sports car and your younger, its bound to happen, especially if you have any mods at all....Its stupid. For example, my dad was using my car when I was away in Vegas, of course he was fckin around with it....passes a cop doing 92 in a 40 (like whos dad does that lol)! Gets pulled over and the cop asks what he was doing going that fast, he said he was just testing the car out for his daughter, the cop LAUGHED and said, alright, well just slow down and lets him go....s*#t if that was me, i would of been f#@ked!!!!

IDK I can empathize with Driftu, I guess some ppl just cant drive slow...No matter how many tickets or reckless driving charges I get.... just doesnt phase me when a bitch *** mustang pulls up next to me starting ****.....

Old 01-25-2008, 01:23 PM
CFW (Carbon Fiber Whore)
Originally Posted by Sportcoupe35
I'm not saying he wasn't driving like an idiot for those 5 years...but sounds like for the past year or so, he's been good but just got unlucky this time. He probably was driving like an idiot for those 5 years to get 12 surchargable events.

I hate the laws in Massachusetts. They blow. Like tint and no front plate and stuff like that are surchargable...WTF??? Yeh like having tint or no front plate really says something about my driving ability. Dumb@$$es.
you'd think that if he was on PROBATION, he would drive the speed limit and only the speed limit...

I've done some stupid **** in my day and have had my license suspensed, but I learned my lesson after the first time it happened

Old 01-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by ChickFlynByU
Seriously!!! When you have a sports car and your younger, its bound to happen, especially if you have any mods at all....Its stupid. For example, my dad was using my car when I was away in Vegas, of course he was fckin around with it....passes a cop doing 92 in a 40 (like whos dad does that lol)! Gets pulled over and the cop asks what he was doing going that fast, he said he was just testing the car out for his daughter, the cop LAUGHED and said, alright, well just slow down and lets him go....s*#t if that was me, i would of been f#@ked!!!!

IDK I can empathize with Driftu, I guess some ppl just cant drive slow...No matter how many tickets or reckless driving charges I get.... just doesnt phase me when a bitch *** mustang pulls up next to me starting ****.....
...ur dads the sh*t and makes some dam good popcorn!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Getting a speeding ticket on a hardship license in MA