NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Something I read in the news that would make you not buy a fast car again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Something I read in the news that would make you not buy a fast car again

I was reading the news the other day and i came upon an interesting tidbit. There is an experiment taking place in Canada to prevent drivers from speeding. Here's how it works;

A car with a navigation system will have the speed limit of the road it is currently travelling on programmed into the navi. Since the navigation system knows the max speed you can drive on that road, it will electronically limit the car to go no faster than this limit. A G35 with a topspeed of 55MPH! (70 in Jersey I think)

Sounds foolproof doesnt it? I'd say it's only a matter of time till people would find a way around it.

I was just curious what other people thought of the idea.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by nyclio
I was reading the news the other day and i came upon an interesting tidbit. There is an experiment taking place in Canada to prevent drivers from speeding. Here's how it works;

A car with a navigation system will have the speed limit of the road it is currently travelling on programmed into the navi. Since the navigation system knows the max speed you can drive on that road, it will electronically limit the car to go no faster than this limit. A G35 with a topspeed of 55MPH! (70 in Jersey I think)

Sounds foolproof doesnt it? I'd say it's only a matter of time till people would find a way around it.

Simple solution... Don't buy a car that has this. I don't see this ever being a required. Speeding cititations are the largest source of revenue for most local governments. Traffic patrol has become a business these days.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Thats really interesting. For some reason, I think that would cause a huge uproar with consumers though and would cost car companies a lot of money because one of the things they pride themselves on advertising is the horsepower and speed. It would also put a lot of cops out of a job. I dont think the government would let that happen. Too many politics involved. My next concern would be that the car would be able to store and transmit your speed to the police who can then mail you a ticket. Can you imagine getting a ticket in the mail because your own car told on you?

Old 05-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by rayaberry
Thats really interesting. For some reason, I think that would cause a huge uproar with consumers though and would cost car companies a lot of money because one of the things they pride themselves on advertising is the horsepower and speed. It would also put a lot of cops out of a job. I dont think the government would let that happen. Too many politics involved. My next concern would be that the car would be able to store and transmit your speed to the police who can then mail you a ticket. Can you imagine getting a ticket in the mail because your own car told on you?

happens all the time i get those red light camera tickets.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rayaberry
couldn't have said better myself..

Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
ill rip that electronic/satelitte limiter right out.... its as easy as removing a few electronic chips out of the ECU or NAVI

Old 05-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it would be too much of a liability to the car companies if they put something in to limit your speed like that..

what if you need to speed up to 70 to avoid a drunk driver or an accident or what if you need to get to the hospital ASAP.. and God forbid some some dies because your car got limited to 55 on the highway and 35 on the side roads.. HUGE lawsuit

--mike

Old 05-03-2006, 03:40 PM
So I guess the limit in Germany would be 253? Veyron!

Old 05-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by leemik
I think it would be too much of a liability to the car companies if they put something in to limit your speed like that..

what if you need to speed up to 70 to avoid a drunk driver or an accident or what if you need to get to the hospital ASAP.. and God forbid some some dies because your car got limited to 55 on the highway and 35 on the side roads.. HUGE lawsuit

--mike
You can imagine passing a semi on a two lane highway and being limited in your passing speed? This is proposed by some idiot politcian and has no chance of becoming legislation. We like to drive fast too.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:31 PM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
I'm sure it's nothing a simple mod won't take care of...

Old 05-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Premier Member

That would suck if you needed to get to the hospital fast or someone was after you.

Lawsuit!!

Old 05-09-2006, 08:01 AM
G SQUAD
Not only is it not true, but it could be potentially downright dangerous. There are times where evasive driving or emergency driving is in order to save lives. Plus, the only thing currently used is the rental car monitoring, where they send you tickets based your calculated speed.

EDIT: Plus, NO POLITICIAN would sign off on it! Insurance companies would lose revenue and politicians wouldn't be able to speed. You'd have very limited support for it, with the exception of grannies and soccer moms who want "moral superiority."

Old 05-09-2006, 08:24 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
LOL, That's someone's fantacy, and very futuristic. Maybe someday.

Altho I've read that there are sensors in some cars now that are connected to a socalled 'black box' monitoring data that can be retrieved in the event of an accident.
C.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Relax, guys.

It's being tested before being marketed to owners of car and truck fleets.
Most of them already use wheel hub odometers, transponders, GPS, etc. to monitor their drivers - it's just the next step for them.
The units apparently don't have a hard stop at the posted speed, more like the gas pedal just gets increasingly "mushy"
near the posted limit. And there is supposed to be an emergency kick-down feature.

Nobody is even hinting that the technology would be applied to public vehicles. The only reason a government
agency (Transport Canada) is involved in the testing is because of the infrastructure required to support the technology.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by nyclio

A-F-T-E-R M-A-R-K-E-T navigation...just dont get cars with it from the dealer... put a better one in after...and do it your self...and hes right about revenue raising, traffic is a business

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Something I read in the news that would make you not buy a fast car again