Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
My OC has increased again, though still much 'less' than original. Two possibilities: 1) pushed my Synth to far in mileage and with driving habits, if you catch my 'drift' 2) something internally is happening with build.

I'll know cause after Oil Analysis results. I'm thinking going back to an Amsoil oil or another type with awesome proven results in these VQ's from a propitiatory resource.
I was thinking of going Amsoil full synth after break-in with ~ 3k change intervals. But then I hear that a synth blend is best for our engines, etc, etc. Any body have suggestions for post break in oil? I was using Castrol GTX full synth in the old VQ, but I'm sure not going back to that (to many bad memories "OC"). Can you do damage by "overchanging" your oil (except to your wallet)?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R

Originally Posted by penelson
I was thinking of going Amsoil full synth after break-in with ~ 3k change intervals. But then I hear that a synth blend is best for our engines, etc, etc. Any body have suggestions for post break in oil? I was using Castrol GTX full synth in the old VQ, but I'm sure not going back to that (to many bad memories "OC"). Can you do damage by "overchanging" your oil (except to your wallet)?
From what Art (Head Tech at Beshoff) was telling me, it's okay to go full synthetic but as long as it was after the break in period. I'm going to talk to him about it again after I get my car back.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RawFusion
From what Art (Head Tech at Beshoff) was telling me, it's okay to go full synthetic but as long as it was after the break in period. I'm going to talk to him about it again after I get my car back.
Art is a cool guy, I like him. There is truth to what he says, however, the reason behind waiting for the break-in period to be over is a trivial one. The whole point of synthetic oil is to extend your oil change interval. When the engine is new and breaking in, you want to change the oil out frequently, hence, the use of a synthetic oil is wasteful. If you use the oil as long as one would normally use a synthetic oil, then it is somewhat harmful to the engine internals since the oil will become saturated with break-in materials.

With respect to protection and durability, using synthetic oil is just fine from day 1, as long as you follow the correct replacement intervals. FYI, I switched to Amsoil after 100 miles of mid rpm high load city driving, and at 80k the engine is running great with low OC. I did spend some extra money to use synthetic oil for break-in, but it bought me piece of mind.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by penelson
I've read in some instances oil performs best after it has been in use for a bit. I'm not sure for the validity of that statement, but I will add that if you are also replacing your oil filter every time, you are contributing to the dry start wear. Consider getting an upgraded oil filter and just change the oil frequently (if that is what you're trying to do) to reduce the # of dry starts.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM
R

Originally Posted by bythabay
Art is a cool guy, I like him. There is truth to what he says, however, the reason behind waiting for the break-in period to be over is a trivial one. The whole point of synthetic oil is to extend your oil change interval. When the engine is new and breaking in, you want to change the oil out frequently, hence, the use of a synthetic oil is wasteful. If you use the oil as long as one would normally use a synthetic oil, then it is somewhat harmful to the engine internals since the oil will become saturated with break-in materials.

With respect to protection and durability, using synthetic oil is just fine from day 1, as long as you follow the correct replacement intervals. FYI, I switched to Amsoil after 100 miles of mid rpm high load city driving, and at 80k the engine is running great with low OC. I did spend some extra money to use synthetic oil for break-in, but it bought me piece of mind.
You know, that's exactly what he was saying now that I hear it again: It's a waste because you'll change the oil more frequently during the break-in period.

I think I'll be a lot more patient during the break-in period this time around because the car isn't new to me. I was struggling to keep it under 4k when I bought it.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
I did frequent OCI's during my break-in period.

I used a blend.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 06-22-2009 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added: used a blend
Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Was just wondering if 07 coupe AT have this problem

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 PM
6MT Coupe
^ You have a non-revup VQ.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:00 PM
R

This problem is with the early RevUp engines which are 6 speed manual so you should be fine, Pete.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just dropped the car off at beshoff to begin an oil consumption test on my 05 rev up sedan. We'll see how things go in the next 3k miles

Old 06-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NAT@FFTec
Just dropped the car off at beshoff to begin an oil consumption test on my 05 rev up sedan. We'll see how things go in the next 3k miles
Great! You'll get an honest evaluation from Beshoff. Good luck to you.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 AM
R

I just want to post an update:

I just got my G35 back from Beshoff Infiniti in San Jose after having them resolve my high oil consumption issue. They replaced my engine with a new, hand built version 2 (10102-AC7M9) long block. That wasn't the only the the head tech found wrong with my car. They replaced everything that they found issues with and was, of course, covered by the factory warranty.

The attention to detail is what really has made a big impact with me. I really doubt that another dealership would have went to this length to correct everything that was wrong with my car.

Since it's a new engine I have to go into the break in period once again but I can already feel the difference with the new engine. I swear I can feel more low end torque. Is it the new engine or the combination of going from a bad engine to a good one? I don't say for sure but like I said, I love the feel of this one one. The more important part, however, is not having an oil consumption problem anymore. I'll be back to Beshoff in 1500 miles to have them check how I'm doing and hope I don't have to worry about my engine running on low levels anymore.

I like to thank Brian at Beshoff. He took time at the Beshoff Meet to show me around and started the ball rolling with the concerns I had. I really appreciate seeing such a big effort made from the top. There's no other place I can email or call the General Manager directly like I can here. How's that for service? Thank you, Brian!

I have to also thank Bernardo for working with me through this process. And Joey for helping when Bernardo was off. Cool guys!

My biggest thanks has to go to Art, the head tech. Not only does this guy knows his stuff, he's fun to talk to. He's installed quite a few G35 long blocks now so he knows exactly what he's doing. I got to meet him at the Beshoff Meet and could tell right away that he wanted to make sure my car was going to be fixed. He told me everything he'd do and did everything he said he was going to do and then some. He and everyone else there are genuine people.

Anyway, too keep this post from getting too long, Beshoff pretty much gave me a brand new car and made it as stress-free as possible. They deserve the praise they get from everyone. If you don't believe me try them out. I'll bet you'll drive out of there happy.

Oh, one more thing. This is the loaner I got:

Old 07-10-2009, 09:18 AM
6MT Coupe
Congrats Rudy. Good to hear your coupe back on the road.

I drove a FX once for a loaner and really liked it.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
got a call from joey at beshoff this morning....my longblock replacement has been APPROVED! that sure made my day

Old 07-10-2009, 04:18 PM
R

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Congrats Rudy. Good to hear your coupe back on the road.

I drove a FX once for a loaner and really liked it.
Like I've said before, people like you helped make my experience go as smooth as it did. Thanks, John.

Originally Posted by NAT@FFTec
got a call from joey at beshoff this morning....my longblock replacement has been APPROVED! that sure made my day
Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates