Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by accordhybrd
I could check it myself, but this is my first oil level check for oil consumption on my V2. When I took the car in to begin the test I was 3/4 of a qrt low. We will see how much I have burnt since.

BTW the dip stick is sealed so it can't be tampered with.
wow.. that's crazy they sealed it.. could you take a photo?

Old 04-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by accordhybrd
I could check it myself, but this is my first oil level check for oil consumption on my V2. When I took the car in to begin the test I was 3/4 of a qrt low. We will see how much I have burnt since.

BTW the dip stick is sealed so it can't be tampered with.
Good luck, Alan.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
wow.. that's crazy they sealed it.. could you take a photo?
Sure when I get home I will take a picture.

Sorry I forgot to take a picture.

So I just got back from the dealer and the car burned 5mm (at least that was noted by the tech) of oil in 800 miles. According to the current TSB I'm in the good range.

My only hope is that it doesn't burn anymore oil for the rest of the testing. My first engine didn't burn anything the first time then 1/2, 1/2, and a full qrt so its a shot in the dark to see what happens.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Last edited by accordhybrd; 04-11-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:37 PM
updated

Old 04-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Hang in there, Alan. After this weelend's run, I will know if I will be headed back for a formal OC test.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, John and Alan . . . I have some 1700 miles since the last engine oil change. I just checked the engine oil level, this morning. According to the latest TSB, my new engine is consuming engine oil. Mind you, it's not the 1 to 1-1/2 qts., of OC per 1000 miles like the original engine, but it still falls into the OC range. I will take the car back to the delaer and will be requesting another formal OC test.

If the engine would maintain the current level of OC, I would be pleased with an extended warranty.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:45 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wtf!!!! u were doing so good!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Dang Andy...

I'm down a lot too even after being topped off 1500mi ago from current dealer and them denying that )
This morning G was in slight slopped driveway and 24mm down. Now sitting level elsewhere and will be checking later today for true level.
Getting ready for the OC level test follow-up visit soon.
John,

They didn't seal the dipstick? How are you able to check the level during the oc test?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 PM
No they didn't seal stick. But drain plug is marked. Heard over the years (wow...I just said years ) it depends on dealer. Some seal everything, some don't
Dang Alan...were you on SC run? I wanted to talk to you about this OC stuff and your current V2.

My level yesterday was 20mm down at a tick over 1500 miles on my oem VQ.
Still fighting for my 1st replacement since Jan 06
John your new engine will come, though as you can see if may not fix your problem. Its was my birthday on Saturday so I was with my wifes family in Sacramento.

If you and Andy want we could meet up and grab some dinner and talk about this crappy *** motor. I may only have it for a couple more months.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by markiev37
06 6mt with a consumption rate of 3/4 quart every 2,000 miles...Not excessive in Nissan eyes but excessive in mine.....I too am thinkng of cutting my losses and getting a late 90's 300zx twin turbo as those engines are bulletproof.......

LMAO

Old 05-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah, it is a concern with me for sure on these V2’s with known failures BUT with successes too.
Know some very interesting insight about my oem revup concerning OC and about a friends successful V2 from the same professional source.
That’s all I’m saying further publicly about that subject.

Sounds good on the dinner thing, though we all live far apart from one another. We'll talk more about that possibility via PM (would be OT in discussing that further here)

Sounds like possible buy-back or final repair attempt for you in a couple months. Damn....

Us three should talk.
I went today for the 2nd consumption test and it didn't burn any oil. It was only 3mm low. I did explain to the tech (which is the same one through all my test even the first engine) that this test is subjective. Where do they measure the oil from, full sight or where oil marks the ruler. He saw it at 3mm I believe it was 8mm low on oil. If so I think the engine is alright right now, though I still don't have any faith in Nissan.

I'm really thinking on just trading the car in on a nice communter car and be done with high end performance for awhile. With gas prices the way they are and have a 50 mile round trip communte in traffic gets expensive.

I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks

Old 06-17-2008, 03:57 AM
brought mines in to oakland and I'm currently on my first oc test. I have a few questions for you guys. Did any one go to oakland infiniti and if so did they give you a hassel ? I just found out they used 10/40 instead of 5/30 in my car.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
your consumption will decrease with the 10w40, however, if you have excessive consumption, it's not going to really make a difference.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 AM
I got a call from my infiniti dealer that the car is ready to be picked after getting the new engine. can someone confirm the part number and where I can look for it (G35c)?

I read the first post and saw that it ends with a Z. Is this accurate or ther are other numbers?

Please confirm. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:44 PM
J-Dizzle
I just had my G returned to me after having the long block changed out a few days ago. Found that all my black volk lug nuts have nicks and scratches on them, and found that the shift plate was off making it difficult to shift into 5 & 6 gear. Aside from that, they did a great job at Redwood City Infiniti. Only thing I was kind of hesitant on was when they mentioned they "had" to charge me because I had after market parts on there which needed to be removed in order to get the engine out. $750 to do that, they had to remove the front Cusco Sway bar, GTSpec 4 point brace, unhook the wiring for the Tein EDFC and disassemble the HKS exhaust which came out to $750. I didn't want to haggle with them so I just paid it. Been breaking it in since I rolled it off the lot, only time will tell if this fixed the OC issue or not. If not, I will probably part the car out and sellz it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates