Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At the mileage, which you have indicated, you are good to go. I would have loved to have your oil level readings at that said mileage.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy2434
At the mileage, which you have indicated, you are good to go. I would have loved to have your oil level readings at that said mileage.
u got high OC, so wat do you do, you just keep on adding more oil?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by awong
u got high OC, so wat do you do, you just keep on adding more oil?
Did my car experience high OC? Yes, it did. I started this thread.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:40 PM
just wondering u resolve the problem or still happening

Old 03-24-2008, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by awong
just wondering u resolve the problem or still happening
The jury is out for the next 2500 miles. Did you read the entire thread?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:43 PM
My G35 in a 2004 and is apparently eating oil quickly. The car had 40,600 miles on it for it's latest oil change. The technician at PepBoys said that only 1 quart drained out. I haven't had the time to make an appointment with a dealership yet with my travels. The last oil change was around 36,000 miles. I did not know that this engine had such a bad consumption problem until I found this webpage.

Is this a TSB recall or is it a 4 year/70k drivetrain warranty issue? I purchased it in early March of 2004, so I'm pretty sure my warranty is now up? Just want to see how well prepared I'll need to be when I take it to a dealer as far as TSB vs. warranty. I can actually smell oil burning while driving.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:32 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1 qt or 4k miles is not bad. these guys are doing 1 qt every 1k

edit misread ur post.

but damn.... thats alot for a 04!

Last edited by Kris79; 03-26-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Nope, its more like 4 qt, cus "only 1 quart drained out".

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by SaintRedRocket
My G35 in a 2004 and is apparently eating oil quickly. The car had 40,600 miles on it for it's latest oil change. The technician at PepBoys said that only 1 quart drained out. I haven't had the time to make an appointment with a dealership yet with my travels. The last oil change was around 36,000 miles. I did not know that this engine had such a bad consumption problem until I found this webpage.

Is this a TSB recall or is it a 4 year/70k drivetrain warranty issue? I purchased it in early March of 2004, so I'm pretty sure my warranty is now up? Just want to see how well prepared I'll need to be when I take it to a dealer as far as TSB vs. warranty. I can actually smell oil burning while driving.
How often you check your oil? you might want to monitor it closely.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

So, in other words your engine consumed some 4 quarts of oil in approximately 4,600 miles. Hmmm, that's about 7/8ths of a qt. per every 1,000 miles. According to the old Infiniti consumption standards, you are borderline. However, according to the new TSB Oil Consumption Standards, your engine is definitely consuming oil.

There are 2 issues, here. The first and most important is that the TSB OC standards have been set for the engines, which are year models 05 to 06 and those equipped with a 6MT. Second, your car may be out of warranty.

Moving along . . . Your car will most likely not qualify for an engine replacement per the new OC standards for the reasons, which I have stated. However, if your car is still within its warranty period, extreme OC should and will be warranted. It will be an uphill struggle with the dealer though. The first thing they will ask for is your previous engine oil change records. Many engines have been exchanged that were model years other than stated due to OC issues.

There is no telling when your engine oil level reached the low of 1 quart during the past 4,600 miles. I trust that it was recent. With that little amount of oil remaining, permanent damage is a strong possibility.

Take your car into the dealer and discover what your options are, if any. Do not wait. First, establish whether or not your car is still within its warranty period. Good luck to you.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Andy2434
So, in other words your engine consumed some 4 quarts of oil in approximately 4,600 miles. Hmmm, that's about 7/8ths of a qt. per every 1,000 miles. According to the old Infiniti consumption standards, you are borderline. However, according to the new TSB Oil Consumption Standards, your engine is definitely consuming oil.

There are 2 issues, here. The first and most important is that the TSB OC standards have been set for the engines, which are year models 05 to 06 and those equipped with a 6MT. Second, your car may be out of warranty.

Moving along . . . Your car will most likely not qualify for an engine replacement per the new OC standards for the reasons, which I have stated. However, if your car is still within its warranty period, extreme OC should and will be warranted. It will be an uphill struggle with the dealer though. The first thing they will ask for is your previous engine oil change records. Many engines have been exchanged that were model years other than stated due to OC issues.

There is no telling when your engine oil level reached the low of 1 quart during the past 4,600 miles. I trust that it was recent. With that little amount of oil remaining, permanent damage is a strong possibility.

Take your car into the dealer and discover what your options are, if any. Do not wait. First, establish whether or not your car is still within its warranty period. Good luck to you.
Thanks for all of the information. Can Infiniti dealers look up all oil records from other Infiniti dealers? I've only had 3 non-Infiniti dealership oil changes and two of those times were at a Nissan dealer; third being at PepBoys this last time. The two times I had to go to the Nissan were because my dealership was booked "for 2 weeks" and I needed to get it done before a long business trip.

The check oil light kept coming on and off and I threw a misfire code, so I stopped into PepBoys to see if they could change it real quick since it's always a long wait at the dealer. I was taken back by how bad it had gotten. They did not want to check oil consumption in August when I asked the previous dealer to do it saying that it was just the transmission.

The problems with my G35 have been very disappointing. If is isn't one thing, than it's another. I've been averaging at least one trip to the dealership for warranty service every month for the past 2 years excluding the past couple of months.

Last edited by SaintRedRocket; 03-26-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks for all of the information. Can Infiniti dealers look up all oil records from other Infiniti dealers? I've only had 3 non-Infiniti dealership oil changes and two of those times were at a Nissan dealer; third being at PepBoys this last time. The two times I had to go to the Nissan were because my dealership was booked "for 2 weeks" and I needed to get it done before a long business trip.

The check oil light kept coming on and off and I threw a misfire code, so I stopped into PepBoys to see if they could change it real quick since it's always a long wait at the dealer. I was taken back by how bad it had gotten. They did not want to check oil consumption in August when I asked the previous dealer to do it saying that it was just the transmission.

The problems with my G35 have been very disappointing. If is isn't one thing, than it's another. I've been averaging at least one trip to the dealership for warranty service every month for the past 2 years excluding the past couple of months.
Yes, all of your Infiniti service records are in the database and can be viewed by any Infiniti dealer. I go to Nissan for oil changes, as well. Just be sure to have all of your non Infiniti oil change paperwork handy.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:25 PM
I take the car in tomorrow to have the oil level checked. This is the first check on the V2 engine. I will update everyone tomorrow when I get back from the dealer.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
You can't check yourself?
Anyway, give us the 411 when you know. Hope she's a winner.
haha.. I see an new DIY vid on the horizon..

"DIY: Check your oil"

Old 04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I could check it myself, but this is my first oil level check for oil consumption on my V2. When I took the car in to begin the test I was 3/4 of a qrt low. We will see how much I have burnt since.

BTW the dip stick is sealed so it can't be tampered with.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates