Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Andy, let me know if I can be of any assistance in this process. As you know, I've been down this road before...
Thanks, Boris . . . I thought that I was finished after the new engine was installed . . . Wrong!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Andy... swap out the engine and if you have the same problems again, lemon the G and demand a GT-R. haha.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Lots of good info on the first page of 350Z OC thread. ZeeForce over there, put it together with OP's permission (9KFever). Many helpful links.

As much of an inconvenience it sounds, you should let or rather, tell them to try again with another V2 replacement. The burning AND leaking is an unacceptable fix.
I tried to explain this to consumer affairs that the fact that this new engine is still burning oil was unacceptable. I was provided a fix according to Infiniti and the engine is still burning oil. She go's on to explain to me that she's not a mechanic and doesn't know what the problem is, I said I know what the problem is, but your engineer's don't. She told me that she was going to give my case number to a supervisor to moniter and also so that they will be in contact with the dealership.

I'm going to take the car Thursday to have the oil level checked and noted, then have them change the oil and start the testing all over again.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:40 PM
If your VQ is due for an oil service then I'd say that's fine, unless it's the break-in oil you want out. TSB says nothing that you must have oil changed first to start monitoring or must due to break-in oil still in engine. General warranty says nothing about changing break-in oil before first 3750mi under 'premium' service shedule. TSB says for them to top off to full, note mileage and come back in X miles for level check. At that point, it's either in the OK range or in NO GOOD range.

TSB replacement guidelines, I would think, pertain to VQ's already replaced as well, so whatever Infiniti CS says doesn't matter. They in my past communication, are not very knowledgeable with this issue and won't connect you to their engineering tech team for further discussion.
If not already in your possession, get your case number for your records. If things get really stupid and 3rd party involvement is necessary, that case number helps a lot.

Another thought that comes to mind is, if you personally haven't added any oil since replacement, then imo you will have already performed a test when they check your level day of your appointment. They sent you off on your way with your new VQ at full mark (one would hope) now you come back in X miles (1000 - 3750 per TSB) for them to check level. That's an official OC monitoring test competed per TSB guidelines imho.

Don't know who your dealer is, but hope they are compassionate about your V2 failure and not make it a problem for your approval on another V2 replacement.
BTW...regardless of break-in, no new healthy engine consumes oil like that during break-in. Every other new vehicle I've bought never has consumed oil from the get go, my VQ as an exception to that fact.
Well I won't nescessarly be due for an oil change though the break in oil will have about 1900 miles on it. If they (the dealer) don't feel they need to change the oil then I'm good with it. The motor is already damaged.

You are right about the CS department at Infiniti they are clueless about anything. My dealer is also just as clueless, when I told him I checked the oil and it was down 13mm, he asked what that meant. I told him per Infiniti's TSB I measured the oil level and it was 13mm low. It seemed as if they weren't even aware of the TSB. On my appointmnet I will be more than happy to provide him a copy of the TSB for future reference.

When I checked the oil level last weekend I did not add any oil. So you are saying when I bring the car in they will allow the car to sit for 30 min and then check the level and consider that the first oil level check? Then I will have to follow up 3 more times.

I have never had a car burn this much oil. I have a 4runner with a 160K on it and that thing doesn't burn any oil at all and I drive it pretty hard and well as stop and go traffic on 101 everyday.

I wonder what national attention to this issue would do for us? 7 on your side?

Thanks for your help

**Update**

I just got off the phone with my service advisor and I have an appointment for next week the 21st to start the oil consumption test again. According to him the new procedure is to change the oil before the test begins. I asked when that started and he stated 2-3 weeks ago. I will ask to see that before I allow the oil to be drained out of the car. I told him that I wasn't going to add an oil to the car until the appointment. I want to have the oil measured before we begin the testing.

Any other ideas that I have the dealer do before I begin round 2 of testing?

Last edited by accordhybrd; 02-12-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:41 PM
1st highlight:
Don't know if they'll allow that, depends on how much they understand what the TSB states, but imo it'd be a valid level test check, being you left at full mark with your prior visit with them and have not added any oil. That follows the TSB's test guidelines. Study the TSB procedures and prerequisites for a valid test.

2nd highlight:
Oil change needed prior sounds like lip service and/or lack of current and only TSB I know of, knowledge on this issue. Yes ask politely to see that so called recent 2-3 week ago change in testing guidelines. TSB # ITB08-002 released on Jan 10, 2008, states nowhere oil change is needed prior to OC monitor testing. Yes, try to have level documented prior to them adding or changing oil if they insist on oil change. That documentation will be to your benefit later on if needed and documents history of OC during break-in period on your new V2 warranty replacement (important)

PM sent............
The place in the current TSB that states an oil change is needed is on page5 number 8. It states that when checked if no oil appears on the dip stick to change the oil and filter and then begin testing.

If I get ahold of the update I will post it up for everyone to read.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
We'll, I simply just haven't had the energy, but . . . I guess I'll make an appointment and take the car back in, soon.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Hmmm...I stand corrected. Yes I was wrong, but that's only if no oil is on stick at all. Looking at picture of stick (figure 4), that would be 2+ qts down. like over 48mm low.

You're only 13 or 18 mm down if I remember right. Then page 4 step 6 and 7 is the procedure bc your oil level is like figure 3, oil registers on stick.
With that said, you are not required to have oil changed per TSB, only added to full mark.

And page 6 is the situation I felt you are in starting with #14, but pick your battles with dealer. If they're going to be **** about it, then let them change oil. Doesn't really matter. You're burning oil a lot anyway and fresh oil is not going to decrease OC issues much if at all. The oil in there only has 1800mi on it. That's still fresh, but whatever. Good luck Thursday
When I wrote that I was looking at the TSB so that is what I will take in to the dealer, showing that I'm educated as you say.

Funny sorry when I came home I had a message from a supervisor from Infiniti consumer affairs. She stated that she contacted the service manager at the dealer and she would be calling me back on thursday with an update. It will be interesting to her what she has to say. I will keep you and Andy informed as to what happens.

Thanks again for all of your help with my issue.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
so ive recently changed my oil in my G. i bought it with 3k miles and its at 8k now, i only used about 1 quart of oil, so at least for now, i dont have the high oil consuption problem...yet...

Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Well, long story short...got STROKED at dealership yesterday with my 1000mi OC level check. I'm at full Uhh...I don't think so
Don't worry about it, my first test showed no consumption also, then 1/2 qrt, 1/2 qrt and 1 qrt.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:41 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MIA BlazinVQ
Hey guys... I need to know.... how much does an oil change at the dealer cost? The reason I ask is because I noticed my oil is pretty low since last

time I checked and I'm definitely going to get it changed at the dealer and have them run an OC test. Good thing this will only be my second oil change

and the first one was done there and so is this one. Let me know! Do you guys also think it would be a good idea to print out the TSB? I'll highlight my

questions in black just in case you missed it in all that writing. lol.
just figured I'd post my question in this thread also. if anyone has input please feel free...

Old 02-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
subscribing

Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Since the reflash, the oil consumption problem seems to have dissapeared!

I just changed my oil after 6k miles and there was at least four and a half quarts left

Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I've been consistently down exactly 1qt after every 7500 miles. Works out perfectly because I can change the oil and rotate my tires at the same time.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
That's great consumption, or rather lack of. Revup or non revup?
05 6mt rev-up. It's mostly highway driving with occasional high rpm visits. I've been running Amsoil full synthetics since she turned 100 miles. Got 53k right now.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:04 PM
So I took the car in today and started the consumption test on the new engine. I spoke with the service advisor about seeing the dipstick once he had topped it off, he informed me not a problem at all. After the oil level was topped off, I when and looked at the dipstick and spoke with the tech.

The tech informed me that there is a problem and that in fact there was a G coupe getting a new engine as mine was starting another consumption test. He told me also that Nissan is trying to figure why its only with the 6spds. The tech was super cool and understanding of the fustration that I had, since this is my second engine.

The car was 3/4 of a qrt low in 1555 miles. I checked it before I left this morning and it was still down about 16-17mm. I will update you as soon as I go back for my next appt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates