Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well I went to the dealer to get the oil change and I brought up the oil issue. the guy checked the oil and all of a sudden it was about halfway to the top.

when I checked it it was almost to the bottom line. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and I'll closely monitor the oil till the next change at 9K.

Last edited by MIA BlazinVQ; 02-21-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:46 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by accordhybrd
So I took the car in today and started the consumption test on the new engine. I spoke with the service advisor about seeing the dipstick once he had topped it off, he informed me not a problem at all. After the oil level was topped off, I when and looked at the dipstick and spoke with the tech.

The tech informed me that there is a problem and that in fact there was a G coupe getting a new engine as mine was starting another consumption test. He told me also that Nissan is trying to figure why its only with the 6spds. The tech was super cool and understanding of the fustration that I had, since this is my second engine.

The car was 3/4 of a qrt low in 1555 miles. I checked it before I left this morning and it was still down about 16-17mm. I will update you as soon as I go back for my next appt.
then they are stupid cause we already know its cause of the rev up lol

Old 02-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This SUCKS!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:07 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what the dealer say ?

Old 02-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Haven't taken the car in, yet. Just seeing that everyone else in continuing to have problems sucks. On that note, I'll call my dealer, this afternoon.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Reflash or reset? 1/2 qt down in 6K, I could live with that. Congrats.
Reflash. The "oil consumption" is not exactly your motor burning oil, but since the variable valve timing is so much higher on these motors, oil is actually being kicked out through the valves because they're basically staying open. The reflash allows you to play with timing, and in doing so, the oil consumption was fixed when I retarded the timing a bit. But the thing is for my car, the timing was way too advanced when we put my car on the dyno.

If you want to learn more about it, you might want to talk to someone from Uprev or an Osiris dealer about the technicalities of it all, since I'm no tech and can only tell you that much.

Either way, it would be nice to get a new motor, but I'm not about to spend a week demodding my car to bring it back to Infiniti... the frickin headers took an entire day to install...

Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Dun . . . Dun Dun Dun . . . Dooooooooooon!

The car is going back into the dealership, Next Wednesday. Hopefully, the oil leak will be resolved and then the OC issue can be looked at.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy2434
Dun . . . Dun Dun Dun . . . Dooooooooooon!

The car is going back into the dealership, Next Wednesday. Hopefully, the oil leak will be resolved and then the OC issue can be looked at.

Andy,

Good luck with that, I have requested some information from a member on my350Z board that I will pass onto you. It may appear that you and I are going to be taking the same route.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by accordhybrd
Andy,

Good luck with that, I have requested some information from a member on my350Z board that I will pass onto you. It may appear that you and I are going to be taking the same route.
Thanks, I would appreciate that.

I know that's it's a tough situation all around. The dealerships proceed as they are directed by NNA and the customers are in the dark, until something substantial is afforded to us. However, at the end of the day, I am better for owning this car, because of all the wonderful people, whom I have had the pleasure of meeting in NorCal G.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Hey, John, we could start a G OC club of sorts. You and I would be the founding members. LOL . . . What a club to be a part of, eh?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 AM
New engine vibration, misalignment?

Hey all, I just got my G back from the dealer today with a replacement V2, not very encouraging about the V2 results I've been hearing about though. I have to say the rattle at low speeds the V1 made is gone with this new engine. Not sure what that was, timing chain, valves? Anyway, I have a problem regarding vibration I am detecting at highway speeds (not due to tires). It's more of a high frequency vibration (not audible) that I detect through the steering wheel. I actually feel my hand either ache or feel numb (no jokes please) after awhile. Is this because of the new engine being tight and needing to be broken in? Or do you think something is not aligned properly?

I do plan on taking the vehicle back to the dealer, but I thought I would run it by some of you knowledgeable folk in the interim.

One other thing, when I shift now, it seems 5th gear isn't where it used to be. I've been driving this car for approx. 1.5 years and I know when something is "off". Well, when downshifting from 6th to 5th, it catches on something and it takes a few tries to "find" 5th. Do you know if this is easily adjusted and could it be related to the above vibration problem?

Anyway, if not for forums such as this one, I think I would have gone insane long ago with my sh#tbox G35 that burned oil and had engine knock. Incredible what Nissan is doing to its customers. Big companies will never learn because some just don't care. Just incredible

Old 02-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi 06CPV35, thanks for the sentiment and info about the adjustment plate, gives me something to go back and ask them about.

By chance did you go through the BBB to get an engine or did you go through the mulitple OC tests they subject you to? Sorrry, I didn't read that far back in the thread to see what your situation is.

One other note that I heard someone say, if you go file a case with the BBB and request a new engine along with a new warranty NNA will give you an extended warranty. I haven't heard of too many cases where they just give it to people who ask. In my case I filed for both (engine+warranty) after the 2nd OC test. I did perform the 3rd test after which the dealership said they were going to order a new engine. I still processed my claim with the BBB requesting a longer warranty. After all this I just don't have faith that the engines will last and I wanted some assurance. Anyway, NNA called me and said they would extend the warranty. Just some feedback from my situation.

Here's to more of us having success stories.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i went for a consumption test and everything came out ok. in some ways im glad because ive seen too many owners having other kinds of problems AFTER they got their engine replaced. lol

Old 02-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by G-MENTED
i went for a consumption test and everything came out ok. in some ways im glad because ive seen too many owners having other kinds of problems AFTER they got their engine replaced. lol
What year is your car?

Old 03-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator
Finally! . . . Long story short . . . The engine oil leaking issue has been resolved. Now to see if the new V2 is actually consuming oil. I was asked to removed my oil catch set-up. It was not an issue before. Obviously, I agreed and did not hesitate to remove it. With some 4k miles on the new engine . . . Time will tell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates