Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Easein2itG
Wow, I feel fortunate after reading some of these posts. I haven't used more than a 1/2 quart in between oil changes. I'm changing my oil every 4,000 mi and have since it was new excluding the break in change.
Oil Consumption issues are way more common on the 05+ "Rev Up" engines. Although, there are a few cases on the earlier engines.

Luckily my 05 hasn't been consuming. yet.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Me either, but noticed and getting worse, pinging/detonation. Used to be only on hot days, but now it pings with cold days too.
John . . . Perhaps, your engine is consuming much more oil, now. You may be experiencing much more blow by.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:10 AM
J-Dizzle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took my car in on the 20th to the Peninsula Infiniti and this is what they said.

"Check oil level, first check for oil consumption oil level still at top half of hatch-marked area of dip-stick, did not require topping off oil"

So, from that rough description on the paper, it indicates that after 1000 miles I have lost about just above half my oil? If the engine takes 4.5 quarts of oil and it's slightly above the the "half" hatch mark that means I have already consumed 2 quarts of oil, right? Or am I wrong? is there another half hatch-mark on the dip-stick that I don't know about? I'm guessing that they are waiting for my engine to either explode or seize up before doing anything.

Then again I could be wrong perhaps the "half" hatch-mark is the 4 quarts of oil mark? But still why would they call it the "half hatch-mark" if that was the case...

Last edited by Mad Paradox; 12-21-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Actually the engine takes exactly 5 quarts. The hash marks on the dip stick represent one quart of oil so if it is halfway between the top hash and the bottom hash your motor is at 4.5 quarts and is half a quart low. If it is on the bottom hash mark it is a quarts low and i think if it is at the very bottom of the dip stick you are somewhere between 3.5 and 4 quarts. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Mad Paradox
Took my car in on the 20th to the Peninsula Infiniti and this is what they said.

"Check oil level, first check for oil consumption oil level still at top half of hatch-marked area of dip-stick, did not require topping off oil"

So, from that rough description on the paper, it indicates that after 1000 miles I have lost about just above half my oil? If the engine takes 4.5 quarts of oil and it's slightly above the the "half" hatch mark that means I have already consumed 2 quarts of oil, right? Or am I wrong? is there another half hatch-mark on the dip-stick that I don't know about? I'm guessing that they are waiting for my engine to either explode or seize up before doing anything.

Then again I could be wrong perhaps the "half" hatch-mark is the 4 quarts of oil mark? But still why would they call it the "half hatch-mark" if that was the case...

Old 12-21-2007, 12:35 PM
J-Dizzle
Originally Posted by jasoncham2003
Actually the engine takes exactly 5 quarts. The hash marks on the dip stick represent one quart of oil so if it is halfway between the top hash and the bottom hash your motor is at 4.5 quarts and is half a quart low. If it is on the bottom hash mark it is a quarts low and i think if it is at the very bottom of the dip stick you are somewhere between 3.5 and 4 quarts. Hope this helps.
Yeah, it helps a lot think very much, you've been very informative. =D

Old 12-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
This could be true, though it still seems to only consume ~1qt (24mm)/2500-2600mi. Possibly, a residual build-up internally that's killing my oct rating even more, idk.
Seems to be noisier too, as in timing chain and valve-train ticking at idle, regardless if it has 4 or 5qts total. Never have let my VQ go below a qt down.

~300 more miles to the 25K mark and OC testing shall start. Hopefully by the time my testing is done and official, Infiniti will have released their TSB on this issue.
Rumor has it, (gotta love the rumors, but it's hope) TSB for us in Feb 08. Along with a possible V3 rev-up, which again is rumor as for why the delay with Infiniti's TSB release.
:crossing fingers:

Trust your V2 is performing up to snuff and with no OC
V3, eh? This is getting better by the minute.

Just had an oil leak issue resolved. I had the oil changed at some 1600 miles. Now, the fun begins and I can track OC, if any.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
The best of luck to you, John. I really hope that your OC tests prove your case and brings your long wait to a productive and happy ending.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
oc issues

Hey guys... what a pain in the A%$. Well i am due to go back in for my second check. The first showed only a 1/4 to 1/2 quart at 1k mi I have not checked as of late but.... i still find it amazing that a car such as ours burns that much oil!! I barely drive the car! it has taken me 3 mo to put on 2k mi. I believe that most of you have the rev up motor.. however i have the 03' with the non rev up. I just am not the type to raise holy hell to get what is right.
Andy... are you happy that you made the switch... i know a new motor and all.. but it seems that you have had lots of " issues" with the new motor.
Hope you and the family are well
Rob

Old 01-03-2008, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by rwcblkcoupe
Hey guys... what a pain in the A%$. Well i am due to go back in for my second check. The first showed only a 1/4 to 1/2 quart at 1k mi I have not checked as of late but.... i still find it amazing that a car such as ours burns that much oil!! I barely drive the car! it has taken me 3 mo to put on 2k mi. I believe that most of you have the rev up motor.. however i have the 03' with the non rev up. I just am not the type to raise holy hell to get what is right.
Andy... are you happy that you made the switch... i know a new motor and all.. but it seems that you have had lots of " issues" with the new motor.
Hope you and the family are well
Rob

Rob,

Likewise, I trust that you and yours are doing well, as well . . . Happy New Year!

I have some 2,000 miles logged on the new engine. I broke in the engine, as per the recommended method.

Initially, there was a vibration/noise when moving out of 1st gear. After 2 return visits, the folks at Peninsula Infiniti figured it out and resolved the issue. At the same time, the car was leaking quite a bit of oil onto my garage floor. Ultimately, a 1500 mile oil change visit to Serramonte Nissan fixed that problem. The folks at Nissan replaced the Oil Cooler gasket and that resolved that issue.

Winter is upon us, and as such, I haven't really had an opportunity to drive the car much. The car feels great. I will know whether or not this new engine fixed the OC problem in another couple of thousand miles. I am watching it very closely, at this time.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:06 AM
hello from the travelers inn

Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by g4dc
hello from the travelers inn

Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Danny tagged up like 4 or 5 threads from the travelers inn.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
This is great news for anyone that has been getting the run around with there dealer. I must say I'm glad that I didn't have to wait for the TSB in order to get my engine replaced.

Good luck with all of your engine replacements.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Looks like it´s time to start demodding....

Old 02-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Update . . .

Sooooo, any good news from you folks, whom have received new engines?

My engine is still leaking engine oil and I believe that it is still consuming engine oil, as well. The oil catch bottle is filling up at a quicker rate than prior to the install of the new engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates