Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also just submitted my clain to NHTSA website. Thanks and hopefully something gets done.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:32 PM
jesus, infiniti dealers try anything these days... if I would have been fed that line of crap, oh man.

I dont quite know what stretch of the imagination they came to the cause being cats breaking down and going back up into the motor... I dont get how they thought valve covers would do *ANYTHING* at all for any of the problems...

Truthfully I think this is all REDICULOUS that infinity will lie to consumers at any cost to not pay for a motor.

Infiniti is going to end up spending a lot more on me with general dealings than just fixing the problem.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I might have a solution for the excessive oil consumption issues for this motor, if this theory is correct. Basically, we're thinking it has more to do with the advanced timing on these motors, but we'll know for sure when we get a chance to play with the Osiris on my car. We're gonna get started in a few days, when I have time, before I head to LA. I'll keep you guys updated.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Just picked up my new "v2" engine.

However, bozo's at the dealer put me into the car with the CEL light on -i said, try again guys. they said that it wasnt on the 2X the tech drove it today. hmmm...

they didn't damage anything, and apart from the idle it's tough to say if the car accelerates better, worse, same. I did notice the performance seemed to increse over my 12 mile drive home.

It's late in the evening when i pick the car up, and tech says code related to intake failure. I'll bet someone f--ed up my MAF or maybe they never even re-set my ecu, or there is a leak somewhere.
I took the car back until saturday because i park on street and am not driving all the way out to the dealer for nothing, on top of payin $30 a day to leave their crappy loaner in a garage so it won't get a ticket (need parking pass for my neighborhood). Engine is idling then dipping very low and shudder alittle like about to stall, then recovers, cycles thru that.

Will keep updated. BTW, my dealer said to not take the car over 3k rpms for the first 1,000 miles, and not drive at same rpm for an extended period (highway). whats the best break in for a new engine? i got my car used.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
The best break in for a new engine is pretty much what he stated, not to stick at one speed, try and mix you driving like in town and on freeway. Not sure about the not going over 3k as I would like to get my rings seated properly which means at least some high rpm runs....but only short bursts and after a few miles are already on the block.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:26 AM
So yesterday I took the car in for the final oil consumption test and some other warranty work. When I picked the car up it was noted that it was 1 qrt low. That makes 2 qrts in 4K miles. I'll wait to hear back from Infiniti.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by accordhybrd
So yesterday I took the car in for the final oil consumption test and some other warranty work. When I picked the car up it was noted that it was 1 qrt low. That makes 2 qrts in 4K miles. I'll wait to hear back from Infiniti.
The best of luck to you.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Andy did you follow up with coporate after all the test were completed? Or did you just for the dealer to call you? I know our situations are a little different though.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 PM
J-Dizzle
Took my car into Peninsula Infiniti this morning, ran a consumption test it seems it has gotten a lot worse. It's only been 2.5K miles since my last oil change and I was down to 2 quarts left in my engine =*( Maybe I'll get a new engine as well... I worked with Brian Reidy great service representative. Even asked me if I needed a rental car from AVIS to get home. The only thing that concerned me was that I wish they'd ask me before washing my car first, when I came out the car was clean, not that there was anything bad with that but I would prefer to wash my own car since I heard of horror stories of the chemical they use on after market wheels and whatnot.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:24 AM
Why does the new engine look different than the old one. The front piece, surely looks different than pictures of other people's engines I've seen (don't remember what my original one looked like). The metal has almost a waffle pattern on it. Shouldn't we demand to know what's different- I mean, what if this is some *cheap* knockoff of the original that is not as good, and is cheap because it is used as a replacement?!?!

Old 11-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Oc

Hey guys,
Well im in the test too. Right now im so busy it is hard to put the 1000 Mi on it for the test! Did they zip tie anybodys dip stick? They did not on mine. Just checked it and it is low... I hate the dip stick on these cars... so darn hard to get a good reading... By the time you get the 4 foot long thing out, snake it around the intake tube,over the pullys and thru the woods god only knows what it has touched on the way out...

Old 11-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
wash

Originally Posted by Mad Paradox
Took my car into Peninsula Infiniti this morning, ran a consumption test it seems it has gotten a lot worse. It's only been 2.5K miles since my last oil change and I was down to 2 quarts left in my engine =*( Maybe I'll get a new engine as well... I worked with Brian Reidy great service representative. Even asked me if I needed a rental car from AVIS to get home. The only thing that concerned me was that I wish they'd ask me before washing my car first, when I came out the car was clean, not that there was anything bad with that but I would prefer to wash my own car since I heard of horror stories of the chemical they use on after market wheels and whatnot.
I feel the same way and have had brian at infiniti note my account not to wash my car. I dont allow it to be dirty and I do NOT want someone else wahing it either. They scrach it..I'll KILL YOU!!! he..he ...
Rob

Old 11-18-2007, 01:45 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^Update...
I posted snaps of my oem revup VQ on Z OC thread. There seems to be no difference of the two visually. Only way to tell is part#.

Andy...hows your new revup treating you?

Z OC thread has a good running analysis on the success rate from these most recent VQ's. G's input welcome as well
he hasnt fully broken it in yet so he hasnt got a chance to play with it.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
John,

As Kris has mentioned, I am still breaking in the new engine. I have logged some 700 miles to this point. And as such, I haven't been about to really open her up, yet. However, based on impressions, thus far, the engine feels much smoother than before.

I have one post install issue, which is being taken care of at the moment. Time will tell.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
John,

As Kris has mentioned, I am still breaking in the new engine. I have logged some 700 miles to this point. And as such, I haven't been about to really open her up, yet. However, based on impressions, thus far, the engine feels much smoother than before.

I have one post install issue, which is being taken care of at the moment. Time will tell.
they find out what it is yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates