Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an 06 with oil problem. At 8000 miles and a lot of complaning they changed the engine. It was consuming around 6 quarts between oil changes.
After getting the car back there were few issues with install: leaking coolant and some bubbling noises. I didn't like the idea of spending all this money and having to deal with brand new engine install.(my 14 year old Isuzu doesn't take any oil) So I investigated and complained and managed to get Infiniti to buy back the car at 10000 miles. One thing about it was that (can't verify for sure) the new engine they put in seemed to eat oil too. In 2000 miles that I owned it I added at least a quart.
That is not all like an idiot in love, I took the money and bought another g35 coupe this time 07 but exactly the same like my 06. Guess waht? Not even 3000 miles on it and they are doing consumption test already. my engine started pinging at 1800 miles, I filled it up to proper level and adrove to dealer to complain, they checked the level, told me that now its a little bit high, and told me to come back it 1000 miles.
Didn't even get to drive the 1000 miles before the engine started to make noises. Today they drined the oil 1.25 quarts according to their notes, so I've lost almost 4 quarts in 1000 miles. They put new oil in and told me to come back in 3700 miles. I am furious, us this their definition of higher standarts they should put in their commercials that you need to fill up oil level everytime you put gas in the car.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:25 AM
Andy....good luck with your new engine, sucks it took 2 years to get.

I am lucky to have a car that consumes damn near zero oil between changes.

Sucks that you guys are having issues. If you purchase a 35K car, you shouldnt have to worry about oil like its a 1980 pickup.

Good luck to you all.

-Jay

Old 10-16-2007, 02:26 AM
J-Dizzle
So, how does this work? Some people just get it worse than others? Ok I'm taking my car in this week to do a OC as well maybe i can get a new engine too!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Good luck Andy.

I will be taking my car back last this week for check number 4 to see if I qualify for a new engine.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andy2434
My new engine arrived from Japan, today. I am bringing my car in tomorrow for the swap. I really hope that this new engine resolves the OC issues. Man, I have waited 2 years for this fix.
Good deal Andy, but more importantly, when is the S/C going in?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, picked up my car late yesterday afternoon. A new longblock from Japan was installed. I was not given the specifics, but was told that this new engine is different from the original and will stop the previous engine oil consumption issues. I was told that Nissan/Infiniti had been working on this replacement engine for some time to cure this problem. Whatever the case may or may not be, I will be closely monitoring the oil level for the next few thousand miles.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Good to hear you got a new engine Andy. Hopefully you will no longer have any issues.

Old 10-20-2007, 04:06 PM
J-Dizzle
Keep us posted with the new engine installed, I would like to know this as well.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had my engine replaced.. i dont like it very much.. i started this thread in SOCAL section..

https://g35driver.com/forums/southern-california/182791-replacing-engine.html

andy.. please let me know if you feel the same way about it as me... or any input...

im supposed to get an answer from the service department guy as well.. so hopefully i'll know why my new engine is acting that way..

Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 AM
J-Dizzle
I will be bringing my G into the Peninsula Infiniti to start the Oil Consumption monitoring this week, since it's still under warranty. Does anyone know whether or not to stay away or who to specifically talk to in order to get good service, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:56 AM
god I wish I could get my infiniti dealer to even take me seriously... my experience has been this

My g burns at LEAST 1qt every 1kmi, I change oil every 3k mi like clock work, last time I got maybe a quart, quart and a half outta her.

I take it to the dealership and they start oc tests... return at the 1kmi mark, and they topped it off prior to showing me the dipstick (bright *** yellow oil past the full line) like I am an idiot...

Then I went back at 3kmi and it was under empty line, (which I took pictures of) then they tell me oh its reading 3/4's full.

and then they basically tell me to get lost, theres nothing wrong.

If it weren't my fiances "dream car" I'd part ways a long time ago... this dealership is closest to me and its 120mi away.

I just want to deal with someone that isn't going to take me for a fool, or talk to me like I am idiot. I want the car fixed, whether that means new rings or what... I just want to be able to reasonably expect that my fiance isnt going to end up stranded up on the side of the road one day.

I had a 77 chevy blazer with original 400cu motor with 144kmi on it that burned less oil than my newer g.

Please I'm at my whits end, please somone provide me with some regional infiniti person, or perhaps a way to move forward with it.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
John,

The new engine is running butter smooth. At some 300 miles it feels good with regard to the OC issue. However, it is too soon to tell. This break-in period is killing me.

In addition, I can safely say that the oil catch bottle, which I have, does really no good to catch all of the vapor blow-by. On average, I drive some 1,000 miles a month. I usually empty the bottle once a week when it's about half full. That probably equates to a few ounces, if that, of trapped oil vapor . . . Which is a far cry from some 1 to 1-1/2 quarts of oil consumed per 1,000 miles.

Ronnyek,

Sorry to read about your OC situation. If your OC problem is dealer documented, I would heed John's advice and contact the BBB, quickly. It seems that the BBB gets things rolling from what I have read on the My350Z boards. The best of luck to you.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:07 PM
J-Dizzle
Originally Posted by ronnyek
god I wish I could get my infiniti dealer to even take me seriously... my experience has been this

My g burns at LEAST 1qt every 1kmi, I change oil every 3k mi like clock work, last time I got maybe a quart, quart and a half outta her.

I take it to the dealership and they start oc tests... return at the 1kmi mark, and they topped it off prior to showing me the dipstick (bright *** yellow oil past the full line) like I am an idiot...

Then I went back at 3kmi and it was under empty line, (which I took pictures of) then they tell me oh its reading 3/4's full.

and then they basically tell me to get lost, theres nothing wrong.

If it weren't my fiances "dream car" I'd part ways a long time ago... this dealership is closest to me and its 120mi away.

I just want to deal with someone that isn't going to take me for a fool, or talk to me like I am idiot. I want the car fixed, whether that means new rings or what... I just want to be able to reasonably expect that my fiance isnt going to end up stranded up on the side of the road one day.

I had a 77 chevy blazer with original 400cu motor with 144kmi on it that burned less oil than my newer g.

Please I'm at my whits end, please somone provide me with some regional infiniti person, or perhaps a way to move forward with it.
Which dealership did you take your car to?

Old 10-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Infiniti of santa barbara... absolutely worthless, unless you are spending money with them dont expect *ANYTHING*

Old 10-29-2007, 08:28 PM
I have a similar oil consumption issue w/ my 05 coupe. I first started noticing that my oil light was coming on around midway between my oil changes and so I took it to the dealer and over the course of about 2 months, they would do the oil consumption test and I would have to bring the car back in every 1k miles to check the oil level. At first, they said it was nominal use as I was burning 1/2 qt every 1k and they said don't worry about it and just keep bring it back to continue the oil consumption test. We then got to the point where my oil light was coming on around 2k miles and I brought it back to dealer and they did another oil consumption test and said that I might need a new motor and I said fine because my car is still under warranty.

Well infiniti corporate stepped in and came by to view my car and based on his conclusion, he said that I have HF cats and part of my HF cats (honeycomb) had broken off and was blown back up into my motor and that is what is causing my oil consumption issue.

Now I have had my car looked at for a second opinion and they looked at my HF cats and found nothing inside my HF cats or exhaust and the guy told me that if it had broken off, it would have continued to break off and you would hear it and he found no evidence of that.

So, I called Infiniti back and asked them did they take apart my engine or do a leak compression test or even do a backpressure test since the service tech mentioned me not having enough backpressure and that when I deccellerate, it is pushing the debris back into my engine and they told me NO!!!!. So, I asked what is your basis for not giving me a new engine and he told me that they took off my exhaust and my intake and took pictures and found oil/gunk in there, but they have yet to show me the pictures or any samples taken from my car and I just got a call telling me that I cannot get a new engine....not even a statement in writing!!!.

I think my only option is to seek legal advise for this issue, because I am tired of infiniti giving me the run around. Corporate is blaming me for modifications to my car and using that tactic to not warranty me a new engine. I am really fed up because even the Service tech at infiniti said that my HF cats do not cause that much oil consumption and he said that it was impossible that it caused that.

The second opinion shop said the same thing and said that he has seen alot of G35's come into his door w/ the same problem and he said it is probably multiple issues and he said that he is 99% sure it is my Valve Guide and my Piston Rings because those rings he said has NO ROOM in there.

Now Infiniti has already replace my valve covers and PCV valves but that did not fix anything. I NEED TO KNOW HOW DO I GET A NEW ENGINE!!!!.

Please PM me w/ what I need to do if anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates