Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have Systems for a variety of VWs, and feedback has been very good. In some cases, the users report feeling as much difference as a Wetterauer re-chip!

I have a System for the 2004 TDi, but I'm assuming that there have been changes in the newer models, so we'll have to do some R&D to develop one for the '07.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What can I say. This is the way the car should run from the factory. Lower and smoother idle. Very little shift shock in both auto and manual shift modes. Looking to see if I get any better gas mileage, which I won't for at least a tank or two as the car runs so smooth now, I can't keep the lead out of my foot.

Great looking kit. Clear instructions. Engine cover fits back on with no problem. Did the whole job including ECU and TCU connections in about 2 hours.

I can't get over the drastic change. When I compare other kits and there grounding points, or find your own grounding points, I can see that there is a lot of thought put into where your ground points and why. I have been doing a lot of research on DIY kits and such and I can see why some people think that this is snake oil when so many of them put ground wires to places that won't do anything.

I look forward to years of a much improved car.

Thanks Gord

Last edited by drewbp; 10-10-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had the 10-wire kit installed yesterday on my 5AT coupe. So far, I'm noticing a lot less jerkiness when I shift (I drive in MM mode a lot), and faster shifts, particularly on the downshift. Pretty satisfied so far.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
what is the current pricing for this kit?... Also, never got a response for smoked/grey color... Gord?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OCG35
what is the current pricing for this kit?... Also, never got a response for smoked/grey color... Gord?
His smoke color looks like "cola"/soda/pop/coke

Old 10-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, So i ordered the 10 wire kit for my Boss's car (we both have G coupes) His car is an 03 5at coupe, and he just finished the install and I am pleased to report that the car idles much smoother, crisper throttle response, and it definitely shifts faster/smoother. Plus, the actual kit itself is a nice high quality product that looks great. I give it

Old 10-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Installed the FX35 5AT Performance System Grounding Kit from GroundingGear Ltd.
This is a 10 Wire kit that includes Tranny, ECU, & TCU wires (but since I do not have a separate TCU, just used it as an additional ECU ground.

While the kit is not cheap, it is really good quality.

I will admit that I was very skeptical that a grounding kit would do anything for us FX'ers, but I'm happy to admit that I was very wrong. True, this is not gonna shave a second off your 1/4 mile trap times, but just as others have reported, it does make the FX feel more connected. In that I mean, dead smooth idle, smoother acceleration, better shifts & probably a bit more power (although I cannot document that one). This is no placebo either.
Only downside, I keep getting electric shocks when I touch the body of the car. Weird, but it's obviously sending current all over the place with the extra grounds.

http://www.infinitiscene.com/

Name:  DSCN1761.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  200.8 KB
Name:  DSCN1753.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  192.4 KB
Name:  DSCN1755.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  146.8 KB
Name:  DSCN1757.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  127.4 KB
Name:  DSCN1758.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  121.6 KB

Last edited by gto-dave; 10-08-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:24 PM
We just completed the install of the 10 wire kit on my Dad's 2003 G35 5AT Sedan a few days ago. Dad was (like most people here) a bit skeptical at first. He thought a few grounding wires just added bling factor to the engine compartment, as seen installed in the engine bay of my 6MT Coupe. After the install, we didn't do any type of resets. Dad's been driving it for the last few days in the same manner how he normally drives (i.e. well behaved ), but I finally got a chance to drive it yesterday. We both found the idling to be steadier; throttle response is now more immediate; acceleration is definitely smoother and somehow pulls harder (as I like to refer to it as a more solid feeling in acceleration); and shifts were smoother (but I still haven't tried manual mode yet, as I often forget this function existed, as it's not my car). As described innocently by my Dad, "You don't have to step on the gas pedal much to get it going now." Also, I think his exhaust sounds just a wee tad louder under load. The only mod he did was the Z-tube and JWT Popcharger with stock sedan exhaust. But maybe it's the more solid feeling in acceleration with the grounding kit installed that has contributed to this noticeable effect.

Anyways, just wanted to put in mine and my Dad's $0.02

We've now got 2 G35's in the family and both Grounding Gear equipped. All we've got to say to Gord is

Dad now has added something to his favorite past time --------------------> Besides washing the exterior of his car, he is now maintaining the shine in his engine bay and especially of the cool looking red grounding wires

Happy folks!

Old 10-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Littering and...
Looks great GTO-Dave!

Old 10-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by App6MT
Looks great GTO-Dave!
Thanks Man!
Got my first tune yesterday w/ Reflash at , & this is all the mods workin' together

Getting DynoJet:
238.5 WHP
207.4 WTQ . . & very linear power with no dropoff on the top end.
Picked up some real nice mid range torque. Most happy 'bout that.

I'm cool with the overall numbers I got, & FX drives better.
I highly recommend getting a tune. It's like better power just waiting to be found.
Keep in mind, that I have an Auto, & have some big *** heavy wheels that have to account for 10 to 15 HP loss alone.

Name:  DSCN1763.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  136.6 KB
Name:  GTO_SEPT_07.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  36.8 KB

Old 10-11-2007, 02:42 PM
hey, how can i get these 10 wire kit order?
i really want one now. I have an 04 g35 AT
hehehe

Old 10-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gto-dave
I will admit that I was very skeptical that a grounding kit would do anything for us FX'ers, but I'm happy to admit that I was very wrong. True, this is not gonna shave a second off your 1/4 mile trap times, but just as others have reported, it does make the FX feel more connected. In that I mean, dead smooth idle, smoother acceleration, better shifts & probably a bit more power (although I cannot document that one). This is no placebo either.
Only downside, I keep getting electric shocks when I touch the body of the car. Weird, but it's obviously sending current all over the place with the extra grounds.
Dave:

Did some checking with the EE and through previous feedback. No similar comments re the electric shocks, so were're not sure why you're getting them now. The wires act as micro-current signal grounds, and shouldn't really change high current voltage potential, certainly not to the amount that would give a shock. If the factory grounds don't do this, the GroundingGear® shouldn't either.

BTW, we have another System going to Dubai, this time for a FX45. I'll let you know what he thinks about the FX45 System over there.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gordgee
Dave:

Did some checking with the EE and through previous feedback. No similar comments re the electric shocks, so were're not sure why you're getting them now. The wires act as micro-current signal grounds, and shouldn't really change high current voltage potential, certainly not to the amount that would give a shock. If the factory grounds don't do this, the GroundingGear® shouldn't either.

BTW, we have another System going to Dubai, this time for a FX45. I'll let you know what he thinks about the FX45 System over there.
Must be my high energy attitude

Old 10-14-2007, 03:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by clinthammer
update: shifting is better than stock but noticed my mileage has dropped. i used to get 420kms on a full tank but now get 370-380.
Well I have now had the kit on for around 6 months so thought I would share some opinions.

The shifting is still much smoother than stock but the slight jerk shifting to 3rd in manumatic mode exists. Regardless I can live with that as overall shifting is much better and the car pulls a tad bit more.

The wires still look as good as ever with no signs of wearing out - the summer were around 45-50C here.

My gas mileage is pretty much the same. If I drive hard I get less, driving miss daisy gets me more.

But the main reason I got the kit was to smoothen the shifting and its done the job.

No other problems with the kit as of yet and the dealer hasn't said anything about it.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like Gord hasn't had a review in a while. Here's my initial response after last nights install.

Everything was easy to install. Be careful though, I stripped some threads off of the front ground point where 1,8,5,6 (and I think 1 more) meet. Luckily there are two ground points there (factory point and gord's instructed point). I'd say if you don't have a torque wrench, just tighten the bolts back by 10mm screwdriver, do NOT use a ratchet's leverage.

Quality and construction are top notch. I've never dealt with any other grounding wire kit but I don't see how there could be any improvements on quality and construction. Instructions are very easy to follow even without pictures.

Installed a 8wire 6mt kit, the engine fires up quickly. I had to reset the ECU for the CEL issue on revving, and that clears up right after. I let the engine warm up to operating temp and the first thing I notice is that my shifter isn't shaking as much as it did before. Went for an drive and that throttle response everyone talks about was there, and noticable on every shift. I got on and off the freeway a few times to give a few chances to WOT to redline. It feels nice. Idle was very stable, It used to flucuate between 620 and i'd say about...670?( Guesses, you guys know how hard it is to read those small of increments). Now it seems to consistently rest at 670.

So thats my first day review. I'll post again in a week or two for when the kit is "broken in"

Edit- I also remember reading the post about VCD, so during my drive i set off VCD a few times, and I had the same results, no jerkiness and just a smooth slowing down of the car.

So, I've had the kit on for about a week and a half now. The car still has its "more enjoyable" drive. Nothing new to report, no problems, I just love driving the car even more.

Last edited by EvolutionGSR; 12-24-2007 at 12:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®