Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Well, after having had the Grounding Gear on the car for a few weeks now, I think I'm ready to post some follow-up impressions.

My initial impressions are on: https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/33761-gordgee-s-grounding-gear-impressions.html

As you read, I had another commercial kit on my car, and was impressed with the smoothness and slightly better throttle response that it brought. Enough that I've put a kit on other cars in the family, and have recommended these to friends.

Gord's kit noticeably improves on the the throttle response improvement that I had with the previous kit, and even my wife notices the difference when she drives it. It also seems to pull harder now, which was not the case before. And the shifting is definitely better. The car even seems to start a little "sharper" than before.

Last W/E, I played around a little more, and disconnected the wires that attach to the right ground point and the front ground point and had another drive, along with a friend. The car was noticeably "different" and not as "pleasant" to drive which even my friend noticed. It almost felt sluggish by comparison. After hooking the wires up again, the improvements could clearly be felt- some immediately, and others after a few minutes of driving hard.

My friend and I aren't certain that it gives more power, but the Grounding Gear definitely improves the over-all driving experience of the car, certainly more than with some other mods that we've done over the years, and the nice thing for me (my wife) is that it doesn't make the car any louder.

It's apparent that the construction quality is top-notch, and in my opinion, slightly better than any other kit that I've seen. The only weird thing I've found is that only 3 wires on the kit are marked "Grounding Gear" when I think all the wires should proudly bear the Trademark! I also wasn't sure about the clear shrink on the ends rather than a slip-on "boot" that other kits use, but it shows the ends off nicely, and at least I know the wires weren't just slapped together. Even if he charged me retail, I would probably choose his over the others now that I've done the comparison. Seems that many are now jumping on the "Bandwagon", but I appreciate the extra R&D that's apparent in this product. In this case, I think you get more than what you pay for, and my friends agree. Two (or more) big thumbs up!, Gord.

[Edit]I just noticed that the GroundingGear website is up:http://groundinggear.com/, but it looks terrible on low-resolution!

Last edited by ckg35; 04-18-2006 at 02:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lsmooth81 (06-06-2011)
Old 10-15-2004, 02:16 PM
Re: Gordgee's GroundingGear

And now my review of Gord's in-cabin HEPA filter.

At first, I wasn't that impressed with the filter. It seemed well made, but not as robust as the filter I have in the Benz. After I took the OEM filter out however, I realized how much better the Grounding Gear filter was made and designed than the Infiniti one was.

Installation was simple since I already had the glove-box panel off to install the ECU wires. I didn't have to use the optional supplied rubber strips since the filter fit snuggly into place already. I may save the pieces for something else, so they are nice to have.

It's apparent that it has more surface area, so I'm hoping it makes a difference in airflow in the long run. It does seem to help control some odors, but not all of them. Fairly similar to the one in the Benz in this respect, but the Benz filter may be a little better (the M-B one costs a lot more and the entire system seems to be engineered for air-flow characteristics and odor control, so I guess it's expected).

Bottom line, well worth it even if it cost the same or a bit more than the OEM filter (it's not, since it's cheaper than the OEM filter from the dealership). So it's a bargain at the price. Probably the best filter I've seen available at this time for the G35 though that may change in the future. Gord said that it also fits my friend's FX35, so I may order another one as a gift.

Now if Gord would only do as I suggest and expand his product line to include other things....

Old 12-01-2004, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GordGee's 10-wire GroundingGear™ system

After finally installing GordGee's 10-Wire GroundingGear™ system on my 2004.5 5AT Sedan, all I can say is...

OMG!!!!! What a difference! Whomever says the GroundingGear™ is just smoke-and-mirrors either 1. is talking out of their a-s, 2. didn't get the 10-wire system (with the ECU and TCU wires), or 3. didn't install it properly.

First, I installed the 8 wires (7-wire + 1-wire system) which took about 2 hours. I immediately noticed that my shifts in ManuMatic mode were smoother and throttle response seemed to be a bit better; the car generally seemed more responsive. However, I didn't notice any faster ignition starts or any change in idle (idled at the same rpm, not any lower) as some others have reported.

Then, later that day, I installed the extra 2 wires -- to the ECU and TCU, which again, took another 2 hours or so due to running the wires through and behind the glove box where the ECU and TCU are located. I took my car for a nice spirited 30 min. drive; much at WOT of course! That's when I immediately noticed a much more dramatric difference!!! My ManuMatic shifts actually shifted at the exact moment and rpm I upshifted...OMG - the dredded ManuMatic upshift delay was gone!!!!

Now, I can bring it up to redline and upshift at 6,500 rpm and it actually shifts right there at 6,500 rpm (or whatever rpm I upshift at). No more do I have to upshift at 6,000 rpm anticipating it will actually upshift at or before 6,500 redline, and no more does my car have a mind of it's own and go into redline, cutting off fuel supply. I upshift in MM mode and the car immediately responds by upshifting into the next gear...WOW, what a difference!

The only negative I have about the GroundingGear™ system is GordGee's instructions; they could and should have step-by-step pictures and he could explain things a little better (for those who aren't auto mechanics or gearheads and don't know what and exactly where the "side strut tower" or "transmission filler tube" are )

This simple 10-wire GroundingGear™ system has provided much improved performance, especially with the 5AT ManuMatic shifting and throttle response. This is how the G35 should be as stock, but unfortunately it's not and for a fairly low cost, anyone can improve their G35 5AT with GordGee's 10-wire GroundingGear™ system. Although I do not know for sure, but I suspect the '05 G35 5AT's will still have this ManuMatic shifting delay problem, and GordGee's GroundingGear™ is a very good solution!

Thanks, GordGee!!!!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Well, I have looked and cannot find how to order a set from GordGee. Tried to pm him but his "in box" was full. Anyone able to pass along info on getting a 10 wire kit from him??? Also, anyone with it on a 2003 6mt? Are there noticeable improvements? Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Yeah I'm interested as well but I can't seem to find anything anywhere on where I can order these kits. Is there a website or other means I can order? Let me know!! Also anyone know how these compare to the EarthGround Kits? They've gotten some pretty good reviews as well.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by bsgoren
After finally installing GordGee's 10-Wire GroundingGear™ system on my 2004.5 5AT Sedan, all I can say is...

OMG!!!!! What a difference! Whomever says the GroundingGear™ is just smoke-and-mirrors either 1. is talking out of their a-s, 2. didn't get the 10-wire system (with the ECU and TCU wires), or 3. didn't install it properly.

First, I installed the 8 wires (7-wire + 1-wire system) which took about 2 hours. I immediately noticed that my shifts in ManuMatic mode were smoother and throttle response seemed to be a bit better; the car generally seemed more responsive. However, I didn't notice any faster ignition starts or any change in idle (idled at the same rpm, not any lower) as some others have reported.

Then, later that day, I installed the extra 2 wires -- to the ECU and TCU, which again, took another 2 hours or so due to running the wires through and behind the glove box where the ECU and TCU are located. I took my car for a nice spirited 30 min. drive; much at WOT of course! That's when I immediately noticed a much more dramatric difference!!! My ManuMatic shifts actually shifted at the exact moment and rpm I upshifted...OMG - the dredded ManuMatic upshift delay was gone!!!!

Now, I can bring it up to redline and upshift at 6,500 rpm and it actually shifts right there at 6,500 rpm (or whatever rpm I upshift at). No more do I have to upshift at 6,000 rpm anticipating it will actually upshift at or before 6,500 redline, and no more does my car have a mind of it's own and go into redline, cutting off fuel supply. I upshift in MM mode and the car immediately responds by upshifting into the next gear...WOW, what a difference!

The only negative I have about the GroundingGear™ system is GordGee's instructions; they could and should have step-by-step pictures and he could explain things a little better (for those who aren't auto mechanics or gearheads and don't know what and exactly where the "side strut tower" or "transmission filler tube" are )

This simple 10-wire GroundingGear™ system has provided much improved performance, especially with the 5AT ManuMatic shifting and throttle response. This is how the G35 should be as stock, but unfortunately it's not and for a fairly low cost, anyone can improve their G35 5AT with GordGee's 10-wire GroundingGear™ system. Although I do not know for sure, but I suspect the '05 G35 5AT's will still have this ManuMatic shifting delay problem, and GordGee's GroundingGear™ is a very good solution!

Thanks, GordGee!!!!
Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with most of your review. The more I drive my car now, the more I notice the differences, even over my previous grounding kit!

Personally, though I'm only moderately handy at mechanics, I didn't have any problem doing the installation. The instructions were much better than the previous kit that was supposed to be designed for the G35, and no comparison to the generic instructions included with Sun Auto's and HKS that I have installed in my other vehicles!

And I've had others e-mail Gord directly at groundinggear@yahoo.ca for information since they aren't forum members.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
I just ordered the 6MT performance kit (8 wire) from Gord. Once I get it installed, I will let ya know my impressions.

Old 12-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Here is the info that Gord sent me.

<br>The <b>5-wire <i>Custom Series</i> System is $XX USD</b> and the 7-wire <i>Custom Series 5AT</i> System for the 5AT is $XX. <b>Please <i>ADD</i> $12 S&H</b> for insured, &quot;Expedited Parcel&quot; shipping (<b><i>usually</b></i> 8-12 business days), <i>or</i> <b>$18 S&H </b> for “Xpresspost USA shipping (<b><i>usually</b></i> 5-6 business days). Payment is by <font color=blue>Internationally Negotiable Money Order in USD </font color=blue>please, and I ship by Canada Post as soon as I receive the MO. <b> DO NOT send the MO that reads: &quot;Negotiable In The US Only!&quot;</b> The <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> USPS MO cannot be cashed in Canada, however their <font color=orange>Salmon</font color=orange> coloured one is okay. I think the Western Unions at Albertsons and Safeways charge less than $1 for theirs. A bank draft or certified cheque is also acceptable. I apologize, but I do not accept Paypal nor credit cards. The time waiting for payment once confirmed, ensures that I am able to have your system ready, while still fulfilling my commercial supply commitments, so if you don’t PM me when you send payment, there may be a slight delay. A $0.60 stamp seems to get payment to me as quickly as paying $10 to $15 for USPS Express mail, so if turn-abound time is important, it’s better to pay for Xpresspost to ship your package.
<br>
<br>The 5- wire system has shown to have dramatic effects on smoothness and improved engine/throttle response. The extra 2 wires are more subtle in effect, benefiting automatic tranny response, and “at the limit” driving styles. Best bang for the buck is the 5, but most with auto trannies do the full 7 and are happier with the overall results. I also offer a modified 7-Wire <i>Custom Series ST</i> System with the shorter Tranny Tube ground wire rather than the full length wire for those not inclined to crawl around underneath the car. Most with 6MTs have opted to do <b>6-Wires for $XX <i>PLUS</i> S&H.</b> I am currently offering a “Plus 1” wire to make 6 (5+1), 7(6+1), and 8(7+1) system-sets. Cost for the “Plus 1” wire is $XX extra.
<br>
<br>I offer <b>GroundingGear™</b> systems in limited quantities as a courtesy to our forum members. This is the same <b>GroundingGear™</b> 5 to 7-wire systems as sold by some of the Canadian dealers for $XXX to $XXXCDN plus GST (MSRP $XXX to $XXX), and forum member price is less than what I wholesale at cost to the dealers (but don’t tell them as I will consider you guys as my R&D and Promo team). Though it may be <i>possible</i> to buy a home-made kit for slightly less, I don’t believe that you’ll find a better price for a <i>commercial</i> kit, even with a group buy. Several have even reported that GroundingGear™ is higher quality than Stillen, Sun Auto, and HKS in direct comparison.
<br>
<br>Let me know if you are interested and I will require your Name, Address and Phone Number to complete the shipping label. Payment to:
<br>
<br>Gordon Gee
<br>XXX-XXX Street
<br>Edmonton, Alberta
<br>Canada XXX-XXX
<br>
<br><font color=blue>Addendum:
<br>
<br>I also offer the GroundingGear™ <i>Performance Series</i> Systems featuring the optional ECU wire, and the TCU wire for 5AT cars. Feedback on the <i>Performance Series</i> Systems has been overwhelmingly positive as making a noticeable improvement over even the basic system which has garnered most of the publicity and positive user reports.
<br>
<br><b>The 5AT Performance System </b>, the full 10 wire package (7, +1, ECU, TCU) is $XXX USD plus $14 ($21) S&H = <b>$XXX ($XXX XpressPost) Total </b>(MSRP $XXX CDN)
<br>
<br><b>The 6MT Performance System </b>, the full 8 wire package (6, +1, ECU) is $XXX plus $14 ($21) S&H =<b> $XXX ($XXX XpressPost) Total</b> Please specify the 8-Wire 6MT Performance System so I don’t send you the 7+1 system (8-Wire) for the 5AT by mistake!
<br>
<br>And while you are behind the glove-box to do the ECU wire anyway, can I interest you in the GroundingGear™ Activated Carbon HEPA Filter for $XXX shipped at the same time?</font color=blue>
<br>
<br>Regards
<br>
<br>Gord

EDIT: I took out the amounts, etc. since I didn't want this thread used as advertising for GroundingGear™. Members as always, if interested in information about GroundingGear™ or any other H-G type product, can always PM me. -G.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Sorry about that Gord, just trying to help out you and the members.

Regards,

John

Old 12-06-2004, 12:41 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trik69
Sorry about that Gord, just trying to help out you and the members.

Regards,

John
John:

No problem. I'm sure others will still find the information helpful as your post provides the information I normally provide when asked. It's just that prices make it look too much like an ad (and I feel self conscious[blush]).

This thread should provide objective feedback from those that have used GroundingGear™ which is always welcome.

Thanks for your post. -G.

Old 12-09-2004, 06:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EG35
Well, I have looked and cannot find how to order a set from GordGee. Tried to pm him but his "in box" was full. Anyone able to pass along info on getting a 10 wire kit from him??? Also, anyone with it on a 2003 6mt? Are there noticeable improvements? Thanks in advance for any info.
I'm interested in hearing what the grounding kit does for a 6MT car. With the recent cold weather, my engine seems livelier, possibly from the cold air? This makes me think I should get a CAI too! off to do some research (don't worry, I won't post a new 'what is the best intake?' thread )

Old 12-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
I'm interested in hearing what the grounding kit does for a 6MT car.
There are many with GroundingGear™ Equipped 6MTs here on the forum. Of course, the shifting won't change, but the other benefits of improved throttle response and smoothness still apply. Those of you with the 6MTs, feel free to respond...

Old 12-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Gord:

My collegue with the 6MT 350z had given me some verbal feedback about your GroundingGear, now that it's been on his car for a few weeks. I know he thinks it pulls harder, etc. If I get the chance, I'll have him e-mail something to me or you that can be posted here.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Thumbs up grounding gear happy

well i was a skeptic too. but ,i thought, all i was doing was grounding the car.could tell the difference 1st time i lit the engine up. this has to be the most bang for the buck. pulls much harder down low 2nd & 3rd gear & smooooooooooothed the engine out. drove to work today in the rain & it wasn't cranky at-all, just thought it was me that was sifting poorly,in the past, but it was the weather. my tach now says i am idling at 650 rpms, down from 800-900. will i save gas?
had gordgee send me his HEPA FILTER at the same time. that too was a difference. bought the car 1 year old & i had it a year so i suspect this is the 1st time filter was changed, too long.
happy-happy

Old 12-13-2004, 03:03 PM
My GroundingGear™Equipped Sedan 5AT is in for service today so i have an '04 loaner (my dealer has loaner cars for 2 years, so they won't be giving out '05's), and again, all I can say is that Gordgee's 10-wire GG system makes a BIG difference. My loaner car has a bit less of a MM upshifting delay than mine had, but it's there nonetheless (about a 1/4-1/2 sec. delay; e.g. when I upshift at 3,000 rpm, it actually shifts in at 3,200 or so...b4 I installed my GG system, my car did the same but shifted in at about 3,300-3,500 with a worse delay).

I just want my own car back...get rid of this crappy non-GroundingGear™Equipped loaner. I think everyone (at least those with a 5AT) should invest in Godgee's 10-wire GroundingGear™ System...it is one of the best bang-for-your-buck mods for the G35!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®