Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone ask Gordgee to contact me regarding his 10 wire kit for an 05 G35 coupe. Cant send a pm yet.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by n1cK
it seems that you're jus' talkin' about a hard ecu reset. wouldn't it be the same whether the wires were connected and disconnected. i mean, you're resettin' the ecu anyway. also, are you sure that it is not the ecu reset that you are feeling?
I think what CKG35 is talking about is doing 2 separate ECU resets to take the effect of the reset out of your impressions.

1. Remove the bolts at the front and left ground clusters (where several of the H-G are attached at one point). At the front cluster, just leaving the factory grounds attached to the engine, remove all the lug terminals of the H-G set, and tape up each of the lugs to insulate them from one another and from the engine. Do the same at the left cluster. This should effectively remove most of the influence of the Hyper-Ground wires from the car's electrical system, without having to remove the entire set from your car. Since you have a 6MT, there's no tranny wire to worry about anyway.

2. Do an ECU re-set. Take your car for a hard 10 to 15 minute run (with a few times at WOT) which will give the ECU a chance to run and learn what it's like without the Hyper-Grounding). You should note what the car now feels like without the H-G system in place, paying particular attention to throttle response, smoothness (especially at idle and at high RPMs where it can get a bit buzzy), and how the car pulls in each gear. If you've safely taped the loose wires out of harm's way (recommended anyway), you can even drive around for a few days like this.

3. Re-set the ECU. Re-attach your H-G system to the car (take the tape off the terminals first and clean off any residual adhesives ). Take your car for a hard 10 to 15 minute run (with a few times at WOT) which will give the ECU a chance to run and learn what it's like getting the new H-G signals).

4. Let us know your followup impressions. I'm hoping you'll notice a bit more of that 'Oh Wow!' feeling.

BTW, removing and taping the lugs is how I alternated runs when I did the dynos on my car that I posted last year. I didn't bother removing the tranny wire since I was looking for TQ and HP differences, so it was less disconnected than it could have been. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do the ECU re-sets and hard runs each time which may have shown even more gains, but I, and others, were happy with what I got.

Originally Posted by Skkyy
Could someone ask Gordgee to contact me regarding his 10 wire kit for an 05 G35 coupe. Cant send a pm yet.
Sorry for the late response. I wasn't on the board most of the day yesterday. I think you need at least 5 posts to do any PMs. I e-mailed you.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i see now, i'll give it a try. i'm gonna try and do it before my exhaust install so i don't let that affect the "feeling."

Old 04-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Well I did my 8 wire grounding kit install today

The kit went together well with only a few changes and a minor rework on a installation point. As soon as I get new F****ng batteries for the camera, I will give Gordgee a new picture to use with the appropriate feedback on the instructions. A few minor changes are needed.

I haven't driven it yet to feel the difference yet but I swear I could hear during the warm up and during the idle sounded smoother with no minor misses and it passed the stand up loony test. I was thinking of changing the plugs with the minor rough idle I was experiencing but I think I'll wait

A kit worth considering

Old 04-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always welcome any feedback and use these as a guide for any further R&D and changes, so I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Last 2, (9 & 10)

I orginally got the 8 wire. I was impressed with idle and the way it started up. Shifts seemed crisper. I was hesitant to get the 10 wire, taking out the glove box seemed a little intimidating. Well I ordered wires 9 & 10 (install was not hard) been driving for a week. For me this was good investment. Manumatic is definitely faster & car responds quicker. I also put in Gord's cabin filter, since I was taking out the glove box. Gord, thanks for the pictures and suggestions. Great products.

Old 04-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Gordgee if your read this thread can you please send me the info once again, Im planning on ordering but erased the email by mistake duhhhh!!!! Still can't PM yet either

Old 04-30-2005, 12:34 AM
aarggghhh!!! 8 post and still can't PM, am I missing something here????

Old 04-30-2005, 08:35 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just finished installed the 10 wire grounding gear set. I am not really a gearhead but the install was pretty straightforward. It did take 3-4 hours but I was trying to be careful. Actually, the engine bay wasn't hard to work with (1-8)...it was the interior that was a pain in the rear.

I did a few runs with the new ground but only felt increased smoothness. The manuamtic may have seemed a little faster but I can't be sure until I log in some more hours in the car. I did get a chance to run it at WOT a couple times...one was against a R32 (VW) and it stayed pretty even with me until 80. He shut it down after that (I also had a passenger). It was a an empty canyon road so no harm no foul.

I will give further impressions later when I get a chance to drive some more.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, i finally gave it a try (the ECU resetting/wires thing). i was impressed with the ECU reset, that's for sure. i have never done it before, even after adding all my mods. but after resetting the ECU, the car felt MUCH better. after the ECU reset with the grounding gear installed, it was really hard to tell the difference between the normal ecu reset, and the ecu reset with the wires attached. maybe i'll have to do it over a one week span, jus' to see what i'm used to.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:01 PM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a believer! Wow. The manumatic is very smooth now. Its weird how a bunch of wires can make a difference but that annoying 2nd-3rd gear "thump" is much less prevalent. The tranny shifts smoothly in both auto and manumatic now. The auto has always been smooth but now its a little smoother however, my manumatic mode has always been a little rough. Its smoother now and responds a bit quicker. For about $150, its a good little mod.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Fun and Easy Install...like riding a bike!

I received my kit a few weeks ago...(thanks Gord for the quick shipping!!), but had some uneasiness to undertake the project, as I had not been under a car since I swapped out my starter in my '69 Impala back in high school, over 15 years ago! I am a sucessful real estate banker in Arizona, and while still moderately mechanically incllined, have a strong proclivity to pay someone to do these types of projects versus trying to do them myself. Regardless, I was anxious to give it a shot.

I ordered the 10 wire 5AT kit with the HEPA filter for my 05 Sedan. Install was fun, straightforward, and virtually painless (a few scuffed knuckles and singed hairs from the tranny housing and manifold). While I do not have any other kits to compare it to, the quality of the wires and filter were superb. The OEM filter was pretty pathetic.

Getting under the car for the T wire was a bit unnerving as I am 6'5" and 260lbs, and the car was basically sitting on my chest even on ramps, but the install went quick and I had a good time getting under the car and getting some grime under my fingers....again after many years.

I installed a drop in K&N, Z-tube, and now the Grounding Gear kit, and am now ready to do some more mods! The car really growls now, is much smoother, improved acceleration, and most importantly is more FUN TO DRIVE! Thanks to Gord for the great customer service, quick responses to the PM's and for encouraging me to get back under the hood again.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:22 PM
after putting in all 10 wires last week, i gotta say there is a huge improvement . shifting is much quicker and the car just seems to repond better now, as so many others have reported.

another thing i noticed was.. before putting in the grounding kit, the wheels felt like they were "slipping" when going over the slightest bumps and cornering hard. after installing the wires, the car grips the road much better. and i feel like i can corner with more stability. i have no explanation for this, just my observation.

this is a must have if you're driving AT and definitely get all 10 wires. it's well worth the money.

thank you Gord for a quality product!

Old 05-08-2005, 12:31 AM
can someone just take pictures of all the point these grounding kits bolt too. because Im not going to spend $100+ on a 8-Guage wire gounding kit thats way over kill. I plan on making my own but just wondering where these kits bolt too.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:55 AM
I must say that I'm extremely impressed with the 10 wire grounding kit. I thought I wasn't going to notice any difference because the car is still new and the fact that it's the wife's car and she drives it mostly.

I installed it according to Gordgee's recommendation by installing the first eight wires, driving it for a while then installing the ECU and TCU wires. Installation of the eight was easy but a little tricky with the transmission wire due to our car being AWD and me overtightening (thus stripping) the grounding bolt. I had to "crossthread" the bolt in order to tighten it. Once I started the car I realized that all the posts about smoothness were true. The adjective that comes to mind is "buttery" when idling and accelerating - I couldn't believe it at first.

I drove it with the eight for almost a week and half before installing the other two wires. These two wires made such a dramatic difference I was almost tempted to take the other wires off and see if the car would still have the dramatic difference. I still don't understand how these wires can actually improve performance and driveability but they do - it's crazy. The funny thing is that after installing the last two and taking it for a couple runs, my mind was on,"how was it going to shift in manumatic mode?" Upon WOT I received a very pleasant surprise in the acceleration department. I was like, "NO WAY!" You really must order the kit and experience it for yourself to be a believer. Thanks a bunch Gordgee!

*Note to Gordgee: It was bit unclear in the pictures where the TCU wire was to be grounded. It seemed the TCU and the pictured grounding point were in two different locations. I just followed the written instructions instead of the picture. It must be right because manumatic shifts are spot on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®