Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the grounding kits help correct the automatic transmission slip problem that some of the members have reported?

Old 03-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gordgee
Thanks for the support. There are several Nissan Dealerships that also carry or can get NISMO and Stillen grounding kits. They have all now gone exclusively to GroundingGear™ Systems, and are happier with the product overall.

BTW, I just got confirmation from the Canadian Intellectual Property Office today.

In Canada, GroundingGear™ is now an officially registered Trademark, and is now GroundingGear® !

Only in Canada, eh?...Pity! (Nod to Red Rose Tea drinkers, for you Canucks that remember the Ads)
That's a big thumbs up from here for you Gord. Good job and good luck with this venture.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steelee
Do the grounding kits help correct the automatic transmission slip problem that some of the members have reported?
Not all kits help. I had 2 others (expensive commercial brand names, not knock-offs from e-bay) before I tried GroundingGear, and they made some difference with engine smoothness and response. The GG seemed to make more difference, and also helped the shifting tremendously! Even my buddy with his 6MT 350Z felt that his manual tranny seemed to be better, though I doubt it's because of it doing anything to the tranny. It may just make the engine respond better, so the clutch take-up seems improved. Not sure though.

Gord:

Congrats on the TradeMark! Maybe you'll be the next "Kleenex" of H-G kits!

Old 03-26-2005, 06:11 PM
gords a great guy to deal with and his product is of the highest quality. there is not much more that i could say that has not already been said. the directions were good and the install was rather easy. if you have a 5AT you must have this kit.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Ok, so I just received the full 8-wire system today and installed it on my '05 6MT. I noticed that throttle response was much better, the rpms also seem to drop faster as well when the clutch is in and I'm off the throttle. Also, when I was WOT in first gear exiting a corner, VDC kicked in and it felt completely different. Instead of a jolt when VDC tries to sort you out, it was sudden at all - almost as if it were just helping you along instead of smacking you in the face.

One gotcha is that I did have to reset my ECU right after the install. I don't remember reading about this before so perhaps it's unique to the '05 6MT; before resetting the ECU, the CEL would flash on during significant changes to throttle position and under hard braking. Resetting the ECU cleared that up.

I also can't stress enough how great it was to deal with Gord. There was a shipping problem with Canadapost and Gord was very accomodating and willing to help out even though he didn't know me at all. I'm very happy with this purchase.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:34 PM
pm me with some prices on these gorgee

Old 03-31-2005, 08:31 AM
Day 2: I'm not sure I understand why, but the car feels more responsive in the upper rpms as well. (> 5000) Wish I could quantify it...

Old 04-01-2005, 03:14 AM
I purchased the GG 10 wire kit. My AT is shifting much quicker (less lag). The car is running smoother with better response. The instructions and product are first rate. The install went fairly well. Highly recommended mod definitely worth the cost.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by smokeator
pm me with some prices on these gordgee
Just PM him directly. I don't think he responds to individual questions or requests on the threads (unless he spends all his time reading everypost on every thread ). I know he said he was busy on matters related to his professional occupation right now, so he may not have time to browse much. He did say he always checks his PMs however.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Another Satisfied Customer.

There is no question Gord's kit does something, and for the positive. As others have reported, the most direct noticeable improvement is the MM shift response, which is dramatically improved. I didn't use MM much prior due to the annoyance, but now I use it all the time. Additionally, my G starts faster (With a little growl at first fire that didn't used to be there ), idles lower with no shimmy, and has what feels like better throttle response, but with a fresh ECU reset, it's hard to tell. Overall, it feels so much smoother, like driving on a freshly paved highway. This isn't hype, don't expect to be blown away, but the mod is worth every penny and more, and you won't regret it even for a second.

My favorite bash on hyper-grounding, "Ground is ground," followed closely by, "You could make your own kit from Home Depot parts for cheaper." Both have some truth, yet both become self-fulfilling prophecy. In a car, ground is only ground at the negative terminal of the battery. Although the chassis and various dedicated "Grounds" are tied rather directly to it, they each have an impedance associated with their path, and very often, numerous parallel paths with different impedances. Through tack-welds, gasketed parts, coated bolts, etc... not to mention all the noise from everything else bouncing around through all these ground loops. By providing a dedicated (Not isolated) path of least resistance (Impedance), for the key electronics, circuits will behave more true to design. In any case, the stock design obviously works, perhaps even acceptably well for some. Since hyper-grounding does not eliminate all other return paths, the circuit improvement will be proportional to how much better a path (Lower impedance) it provides than any others available (Chassis, etc...). So yes, one could purchase Home Depot or other type materials and provide a better return to ground than stock, but by how much? The nay-sayers on hyper-grounding are often the same folks who dabbled with a home built or eBay kit, go figure. If any improvement is felt, it often wears off due to galvanic and/or atmospheric corrosion. Gord's kit is impressively well built and screams quality. He's one of us and makes the best kit out there. Get the full kit (10-wire for the 5AT), and make sure to set aside some extra patience when you tackle the fabled #7 wire to the tranny. Kind of nice to get under there, but I was glad to be done.

Thanks Gord, keep up the good work!

Old 04-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Arrow good, but...

first of all, gord, congrats on all of your success. i've been seein' this product around since early development, and was one of the very first mods i bought (along with a rogue). i was really happy with the quality of work, as well as the customer service that gord provided.

as far as the subjective part, i cannot, unfortunately say, that these made all that much of a difference for me. there may be a slight difference in smoothness and throttle response, but nothing that is overwhelming. however, it may be because i installed these while the car was relatively brand new, and it's been over a year now, and i may have jus' gotten used to them. i have no dyno's to back-up my claim either. i'm jus' tryin' to provide a point of view from someone who's butt-dyno isn't very sensitive

ps-by the way, i have a 6mt, and those with autos feel a much great difference, especially with shifting feel.

Old 04-23-2005, 07:30 AM
Just installed the 10-wire kit. The install was no problem except that there were some bolts missing from the kit. They were loose in the box and some might have slipped out in shipping. I substituted them for some that I had. Quality of the cables themselves is very good and everything lined up just right.

Concerning wire #7. If you get this kit and dont feel like crawling under the car, just go down to your local muffler shop and ask to pay for about 10 minutes of rack time. A shop down the street from me let me go under and bolt it right to the tranny strip mount. Not all will let you do it yourself, but for about $10 of their labor time, its much easier and safer than jacks and jack stands.

Impressions: After doing the pedal ECU reset, went for a ride and did some WOT runs. The car does seem more lively, but nothing dramatic. Also, the manumatic shift points are quicker, but the delay is still there. Overall, there is a noticable change, but it is not an OMG!!!, WOW!! kind of mod. Maybe it is on some cars, but I do an ECU reset every other week and drive in manumatic regularly so that may be why the change was not so dramatic.

Would I do it again knowing what I know now? Probably yes. Just the peace of mind that the systems in the car have equalized bias and no weird loops creating signal noise is worth the entrance fee.

Old 04-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I've been rolling on my 10wire GG set for about a week now. . .

I got EXACTLY what I wanted/expected from the kit. Here's my thoughts/impressions/analysis:

Neutral idle pre wires was 650 RPMs. . .after wires, 650 RPMs. Turning the engine over seemed no different before and after wires added.
Butt dyno says "no difference" in felt power improvement. . .
But, alas, the best part (and reason why I wanted the kit to begin with): shift response in MM mode.
Pre GG kit: upshift at 6300 RPMs, shift would lag and engine would generally rev up to 6500-6600 before actually shifting.
Post GG kit: upshift at 6500 PRMs, engine would shift by 6600 RPMs. . .

That's all I wanted. I guess I have enough other mods that I may just not be able to tell the differences when adding a little thing here and there.
I'm hoping that the kit will help out with my ECU when I finally get that. . .

As for shipping time, instructions, and quality of the product? For what I paid, it does NOT get any better than this! My hat's off to Gord for the excellent instructions (which I did at night with a flashlight!), pictures, descriptions, marked wires, extra bolts, etc. I probably could have done the install with my feet if I had to. Excellent job!

Bottom line, my satisfaction with the kit is 8 out of 10. And YES. . .I WOULD buy it again if I had to make the choice again.

-drew-

Old 04-23-2005, 04:23 PM
A real skeptic changes his tune (sort of...): Believer's Were Right!

It seems that some of us have noticed more differences than others. Maybe because of pre-set expectations. Of course my friend with a 6MT 350Z didn't think it would do anything for his car, but he's now very happy!

I know I've paid much more for some mods expecting more, and was sadly disappointed, but not with this one. I'd do it (have done it!) again in a heart-beat, because in my ride, I even noticed the difference between GroundingGear and Stillen's and Sun Auto's kits!

BTW ballisticus, didn't your hardware package come in a sealed package? Mine was taped to the zip ties and to the bottom of the box? Maybe Gord forgot to package yours properly?

n1ck, try what I did. Disconnect your wires, and go for a hard drive after you re-set your ECU. Then re-set the ECU again, and re-connect the wires, again going for a hard drive. For me, the differences were noticeable in terms of throttle response and smoothness. Seems to pull harder as well.

It may be that since you put yours on when your car was fairly new, you've gotten used to it. I think that if your follow the above, you'll have a new appreciation for what the GG does for your car. Let us knoiw if you do this. I'm really interested.

Old 04-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Question question...

Originally Posted by ckg35
n1ck, try what I did. Disconnect your wires, and go for a hard drive after you re-set your ECU. Then re-set the ECU again, and re-connect the wires, again going for a hard drive. For me, the differences were noticeable in terms of throttle response and smoothness. Seems to pull harder as well.

It may be that since you put yours on when your car was fairly new, you've gotten used to it. I think that if your follow the above, you'll have a new appreciation for what the GG does for your car. Let us knoiw if you do this. I'm really interested.
it seems that you're jus' talkin' about a hard ecu reset. wouldn't it be the same whether the wires were connected and disconnected. i mean, you're resettin' the ecu anyway. also, are you sure that it is not the ecu reset that you are feeling?

Last edited by n1cK; 04-23-2005 at 10:14 PM. Reason: typo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®