Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red_G35
anyone have a picture of the ground on the tranny?
I didn't use the grounding point specified by the instruction because the wire would be touching the exhaust. Instead I used one of the OEM bolts that were replaced by the longer bolts included in the kit to secure the wire to the tranny. You'll see many available threaded holes on the tranny, just pick one.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
I just had my 10-wire GroundingGear kit installed a few weeks ago so I had time to get a feel for it.

At first before installing the grounding wires, I installed the Fast Intentions Intimidator catback exhaust and drove around for a week. Next, I had the grounding wires installed and right away I noticed a big difference in the shifting and response from the car. The manumatic shift lag has nearly disappeared and has made it a lot more fun for me to drive!

I would definitely recommend this kit for any 5AT drivers who are sick of that stupid shift delay. Well worth the money spent!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by infinitialex
when i just installed the kit is seemed to have made a difference in shifting speed but after a week or so its back to being itself, slow. I don't think this mod works at all, its just our weird ECUs that keep on readjusting itself and make you think its the mod that is working . I had the new program udpated on the ECU from the dealer an I was 99% sure my shifting was faster right after. Two weeks later we are back to the same Sxxx , shifting sucks again.
I'm noticing this now, too. The grounding kit definitely fixed the problem, but after a week the computer readjusted to be terrible again.

It looks like most of the crappy behavior is programmed that way...time for a tune.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found that the shifting improved and stayed that way, but I just got used to it. I found that the difference was especially noticeable when I went to a loaner without the GroundingGear, especially with the smoothness and general feel of the car. This is after several months of having it on the car! I know the ECU adapts, but I wouldn't think that it would dumb-down the shifting!

Old 05-20-2008, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=OCG35]The TCM controls shifting… the ECM (ECU) won’t really make much difference…[/QUOTE
there is a TCM and ECU upgrade form the dealer
at first the car felt so different i was sure it fixed the lag problem , after driving it for a few weeks the ****ty shifting is back. I don't know if its just my car but i suspect ECU readjust itself and make it ****ty for some reason .

Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 AM
The TCU adapts to your driving style If you aren't putting yourt foot in it all the time, it will soften over the miles and shift slower and more awkwardly if you happen to let off the gas mid-shift. I've had the thing sit at 5000 rpm without engaging the downshift gear for 1-2 seconds. It's rather unnerving. I've learned to stop expecting a timely shift if I let off the gas too soon after I've stomped on it.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by SixFive
The TCU adapts to your driving style If you aren't putting yourt foot in it all the time, it will soften over the miles and shift slower and more awkwardly if you happen to let off the gas mid-shift. I've had the thing sit at 5000 rpm without engaging the downshift gear for 1-2 seconds. It's rather unnerving. I've learned to stop expecting a timely shift if I let off the gas too soon after I've stomped on it.
Yes i hate it, when i want to down shift for a quick pass it just bogs down and shifts like 2 seconds later after i already passed and don't need the power,,,make me want to sell the car

Old 05-21-2008, 10:23 AM
It won't do this in manual mode..which I seem to live in being a former slush box driver.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I just received my 6+1 kit today. Gord's service was excellent, hit kit was high quality, and the instructions were easy to follow. Did not take long to install. I have a 6 MT and I noticed better throttle response and lower idle, the car just feels smoother. All in all I'm very satisfied with this product and recommend it to all G owners.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Where can I order the 10 wire kit for a coupe?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Gord. What's your opinion on using the 8 ga wires instead of the 4 ga that you use? I know I thought my Stillen sucked, but I think that was because of shoddy manufacturing as much as them using the 8 ga Tsunami wires. What's your testing show?

Old 06-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ckg35
Gord. What's your opinion on using the 8 ga wires instead of the 4 ga that you use? I know I thought my Stillen sucked, but I think that was because of shoddy manufacturing as much as them using the 8 ga Tsunami wires. What's your testing show?
Early on, we went through an extensive R&D phase and 8 gauge wires were investigated. It would actually be about 1/3 the current production costs for us to make the cables from 8 ga wire as opposed to 4 ga! This explains why some Hyper-ground kits seem to cost so much less than others. Not only signal quality was compromised, but mechanical quality was as well which explains the choice of some odd grounding points and the inclusion or use of extra wire 'zip ties', wire harnesses, and grounding blocks and plates (which are terrible for the signal BTW). The wires are just not constructed well enough to hold up well over time, and usually end up looking saggy and quickly discolour. The positive effects of the wires were just too inconsistent using 8 ga wires.

The interesting thing is, that some enquires over the years have asked about 2 ga and 0 ga and wondered if there would be an advantage over the 4 ga that we have always offered. The cost benefit ratio is definitely not in favour of the bigger wires as the current flow is actually minimal and high frequency signal was worse. For signal conduction, the 4 ga wires seem optimal, however depending on the construction (ie quality of the copper, strand thickness and wrap configuration, etc.) we also found differences in consistency of effect between brands, etc. This is one reason that we've never done GroundingGear® with other brands of wire, though it might ultimately be cheaper to produce. It's also a reason that we can't offer the colour choice that some want as some colours are only available from certain manufacturers. R&D also led us to use only solid copper terminals which many have copied where previously, gold plated terminals were the norm for the better kits (Ebay kits are an embarrassment both for the wires and lugs and other materials they use as well as construction quality). So important was the terminal construction that we designed and built a special crimping machine based on R&D!

We're not willing to compromise since we supply commercially and have developed a World-wide reputation over the years that we're not willing to jeopardize. Some companies use production facilities in the Far East which is the reason that there have been some complaints about quality control with lug terminals that fall off, etc. (your experience I believe).

I hope this answers your question.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Gord - thanks for a great, thorough explanation of your product and choice of materials... I have a question though. You mentioned color options being limited due to the quality material you chose... I'm wondering if there is a direct quality affect in relation to the outer coating (jacket or whatever the technical term is)... the reason I ask is - I understand its hard to achieve a true smoked look with translucent plastic coating/insulation, since the wire color is copper... but is there a detriment to using a solid colored material that is smoked colored? I've always wanted a smokey grey color and I know many, many people have requested similar over the years.

I'm not knocking anything you are doing... just wondering if there is a reason that the color option isn’t available?

TIA

Old 06-11-2008, 06:36 PM
I wondered why you don't offer Silver which I think would look good.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I bought an Ebay kit cheap, had them over a year and not a sign of deteriorating or connectors falling off. They are only 8 gauge but really I don't think 4 gauge kit will make a difference.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®