Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed the 10 wire kit on my '04 5AT. Took a couple of hours but I went slow and carefully, another hour and change for the ECU/TCU. Will still need to do the full tranny wire at next oil change, followed Gordo's instruction for hooking temporary to the trans filler bolt. Results? WOW! Much smoother on acceleration, idles somewhat slower, but the big difference I felt was in the shifting, and I do not even have the trans wire at the optimum location. Downshifts from 3rd to 2nd now have no "jerk" and the dreaded upshift delay seems less than before. Great service, high quality and good instructions. I would recommend this upgrade to anyone. And another post mentioned the microscopic factory ground wires-so true. They must get their factory ground wire from the company that makes toasters. Gord's were thick and a quality product. Thanks Gordo, excellent product and excellent results were achieved.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there any possible side effects short or long term to changing the ground wires to larger diameter over stock?

Old 08-25-2006, 06:16 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Blue
Are there any possible side effects short or long term to changing the ground wires to larger diameter over stock?
Possible side effects would be faster shifting in manumatic mode

Old 08-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Blue
Unlikely. You'd simply be supplimenting the existing engine/chassis/electrical component ground paths that are already.

An old discussion with an automotive technician was interesting in that he suggested that one possible side benefit is that the wires might make the Air Conditioning System last longer! I couldn't really follow the theory behind this, so I'm not sure what this was about.

It is possible however, that if a car is not running properly in the first place, the enhancement of a faulty signal or elctrical condition might actually make certain conditions worse! This happened with a '92 300Z that responded badly to the extra wires. I was later told by the techs that worked on the car many times previously that that particular car always had frequent problems of some sort. It's the only time I've heard directly about this sort of thing, which prompted adding " Ensure that the vehicle is running properly prior to installation. This kit may cause unknown effects on a vehicle that is operating abnormally." to a Disclaimer on the Instruction Sets. The interesting thing is that this fellow was convinced that the wires wouldn't do ANYTHING, so though the results were negative, he later admitted that they did affect his car.

Again, I've only heard of a negative effect the one time.

But then, one fellow here on this forum loved the effects of the wires on his G35. When he added a plenum spacer later, he found that the spacer yielded negative effects, and subsequently sold his spacer, and kept the wires. Only time I've heard of that sort of thing as well.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:58 AM
how much and where can i buy one, 07 compatiblity

Old 08-26-2006, 02:07 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
PM "gordgee" or go to his website..the site is somewhere in this thread..

if youre 5at youll probably want to go with 10 wire kit

i think 6mt is like 6 or 8 wires..i forgot..but yeh only way to get them is by PM or email i believe

Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Just installed my kit...

Originally Posted by ckg35
Well, after having had the Grounding Gear on the car for a few weeks now, I think I'm ready to post some follow-up impressions.

My initial impressions are on: https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/33761-gordgee-s-grounding-gear-impressions.html

As you read, I had another commercial kit on my car, and was impressed with the smoothness and slightly better throttle response that it brought. Enough that I've put a kit on other cars in the family, and have recommended these to friends.

Gord's kit noticeably improves on the the throttle response improvement that I had with the previous kit, and even my wife notices the difference when she drives it. It also seems to pull harder now, which was not the case before. And the shifting is definitely better. The car even seems to start a little "sharper" than before.

Last W/E, I played around a little more, and disconnected the wires that attach to the right ground point and the front ground point and had another drive, along with a friend. The car was noticeably "different" and not as "pleasant" to drive which even my friend noticed. It almost felt sluggish by comparison. After hooking the wires up again, the improvements could clearly be felt- some immediately, and others after a few minutes of driving hard.

My friend and I aren't certain that it gives more power, but the Grounding Gear definitely improves the over-all driving experience of the car, certainly more than with some other mods that we've done over the years, and the nice thing for me (my wife) is that it doesn't make the car any louder.

It's apparent that the construction quality is top-notch, and in my opinion, slightly better than any other kit that I've seen. The only weird thing I've found is that only 3 wires on the kit are marked "Grounding Gear" when I think all the wires should proudly bear the Trademark! I also wasn't sure about the clear shrink on the ends rather than a slip-on "boot" that other kits use, but it shows the ends off nicely, and at least I know the wires weren't just slapped together. Even if he charged me retail, I would probably choose his over the others now that I've done the comparison. Seems that many are now jumping on the "Bandwagon", but I appreciate the extra R&D that's apparent in this product. In this case, I think you get more than what you pay for, and my friends agree. Two (or more) big thumbs up!, Gord.

[Edit]I just noticed that the GroundingGear website is up:http://groundinggear.com/, but it looks terrible on low-resolution!
Adding to what has already been said about Gordon's kit would be difficult. I totally agree with ckG35 about nearly everything... with the exception of the 'making the car louder' point. Just before installing the GroundingGear, I put on the two other low-cost add-ons that most owners opt for... the 'Z' tube, Motordyne 5/16 plenum spacer, and JWT Pop Charger kit. I am totally happy with the performance, and sound of all. There are a couple of things that I guess I would add.

First, Gordon was extremely helpful in the process of deciding on what kit I would go for, which was the 7+1, ECU/TCU, (or, 10 wire), kit for my '04 AT coupe. Being in Long Beach CA, I thought that it might take a while to get the kit, but the turn around time was not bad at all.

Second, the instructions were fine for me, as I am pretty mechanically inclined, however, I can see how it might be a little challenging for someone not used to wrenching. One caviat here... pay particular heed to the warning about the connections that run to the light and valet trunk switch in the glove box. I was finished with the ECU/TCU connections, and preparing to put everything back together, and moved the box a little too much, causing the snap-together connection on the valet trunk switch to break, which sent the tiny spring and actuator flying into space! Fortunately I found them, and with a bit of super glue, was able to re-assemble the switch, because the dealer asks $93.00 for the stupid thing! It was totally my haste that caused the switch to break, and as I mentioned, there is a cautionary statement about that very thing in the instructions.

That being said, I am very happy with the improvements to throttle response and shifting, especially in the MM mode.

My thanks to Gordon, and I reccommend this upgrade to any of you that may be on the fence.

Last edited by BigWill; 08-31-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by BigWill
Second, the instructions were fine for me, as I am pretty mechanically inclined, however, I can see how it might be a little challenging for someone not used to wrenching. One caviat here... pay particular heed to the warning about the connections that run to the light and valet trunk switch in the glove box. I was finished with the ECU/TCU connections, and preparing to put everything back together, and moved the box a little too much, causing the snap-together connection on the valet trunk switch to break, which sent the tiny spring and actuator flying into space! Fortunately I found them, and with a bit of super glue, was able to re-assemble the switch, because the dealer asks $93.00 for the stupid thing! It was totally my haste that caused the switch to break, and as I mentioned, there is a cautionary statement about that very thing in the instructions.

That being said, I am very happy with the improvements to throttle response and shifting, especially in the MM mode.

My thanks to Gordon, and I reccommend this upgrade to any of you that may be on the fence.
Nice write up! My results are similar, and every day it seems I notice something in the operation of the vehicle that is either quicker or smoother.
Each one seems subtle but together this grounding scheme is definitely a plus.

I am glad it was you, BigWill, and not me! Kidding!! I was really worrying about straining the very connection you are talking about. I wanted to disassemble it but thought it might be more of a problem and take more time, so I was just extra cautious about propping up the glove box to get more slack in the wires.
I had it pushed over to the left side which gave me plenty of room to work the ECU and TCU connections. It is definitely an area that requires extra care.
But the efforts are well rewarded.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by fortified
I am glad it was you, BigWill, and not me! Kidding!! I was really worrying about straining the very connection you are talking about.
No worries... someone had to do it! In retrospect, I should have CAREFULLY unplugged the connection, as I did for the light... 20/20 hindsight, huh?

Old 09-11-2006, 08:37 PM
whoever is reading this now, and still doesn't own gord's kit, buy it!! its been great since i installed the 10 wire kit. smoother shifting, barely any lag in MM, and the car feels much sharper now... props to gord

Old 09-29-2006, 04:50 AM
Just installed the 10 wire Performance kit in my 05 AT Sedan. Easy to install and definitely worth the money. Not only does the engine compartment look better, but the car runs much better IMO. A lot more responsive and smoother. I've noticed only a slight improvement in the MM mode, but I've only driven it for about 30 miles since the install. Much easier to spin the wheels from a complete stop though . If you haven't got it yet...go for it...you won't regret it.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Spd2Last
whoever is reading this now, and still doesn't own gord's kit, buy it!! its been great since i installed the 10 wire kit. smoother shifting, barely any lag in MM, and the car feels much sharper now... props to gord
second that !

Old 11-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Gordgee's GroundingGear™ - Another + Review

Just wanted to share my experience with Gordgee's GroundingGear™. Yes..I know...another review

I have a 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe AT. About a week ago I purchased the 10 wire kit second hand from a previous buyer. I have since installed the first 8 wires.

First of all, I had trouble locating exactly which bolt the long tranny wire connects to. I pm'd Gordgee and even though I didn't purchase directly from him (as I said, I bought it used), he was very willing to help me. Now that's great customer service.

As for the ground kit...with the first 8 wires, I have noticed/felt an improvement in driveability and AT shifting. My idle is also butter smooth at 650 (down from 700) which I thought was weird.

Now, I realize this may be all in my head and there may be no actual improvement at all. But in my opinion, any improvement in drivability (even if its just a perceived improvement) is worth it. Just the fact that my car "feels" smoother makes me want me to drive my car over and over, and thats all that matters to me. I can't wait to install the ECU wire!

And for those of you who say...you could make them cheaper...that may be true. But the value is in the research Gordgee put into finding the optimal ground points.

Anyways, just wanted to give Gordgee's GroundingGear™ a big thumbs up!

Old 11-08-2006, 02:49 AM
I agree!!! I also have a 03.5. It's smoother running.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:14 PM
I emailed him today hoping to here from him tomorrow so i can get the money in the mail so I can get my kit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®