Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no, there is no change, you just connect right over the stockers.

Old 05-30-2006, 03:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do i order a set for my 6mt?

Old 05-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by 04Rg35
How do i order a set for my 6mt?
Just send a PM to Gordgee -- he'll PM you the info.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry for the tardy responses guys. I've been busy moving my day-job office (Psychotherapy) to a window office over the past few days, while juggling clients in-between. At the organization that I'm at, it usually takes 5 to 10 years (I've only been there since last summer after vacating my 25 year position elsewhere) before one gets to move from an interior office to a window since window offices are at a premium. So of course, when I was offered the window....

Also busy with another shipment of GroundingGear™ materials. (The increasing cost of copper has been killing me! One supplier says "88% rise in the cost of copper between January 2004 and December 2005" to justify their increases.)

Old 06-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by ckg35
Gord:

One of the Auto Stereo / Performance shops looked at the GroundingGear that you sent my collegue with the Acura TL, and was very impressed with the quality! Wondered what kind of crimper you use, and how you get the consistent workmanship.

He says that his wires (same supplier) don't look quite the same as the ones you use. Says he'd like to contact you, so I pointed him out to http://groundinggear.com, so expect some business.
Thanks for the feedback, CK.

The wires that I've been spec'ing over the past several months has been an improvement over the original ones from the same manufacturer. This may be what they noticed. The strand configuration has changed and the strand count has increased to over 1600, so in theory, signal conduction may improve.

I use a custom designed crimper that can apply over 4000psi pressure for consistent, efficient results that also look good.

Interestingly, several "Auto Stereo / Performance shops" sell my product even though they have access to the same basic raw materials that I do. One of them is http://www.powersourceperformance.com as (he) says "Your quality control is excellent, thank you.", and even ordered one for his dad's 350Z, though he could make a copy himself for much less than for what I charge him!

Originally Posted by ckg35
BTW, on the Acura, not as much of an improvement as on the G35. Hard to tell the difference in smoothness, but there was a slight improvement with throttle response, especially when driven hard. He noticed a more consistent idle. Because it's a Manual, no change in shifting. Overall, he's happy as it seems "more connected" somehow. He was a skeptic, so I'm glad he noticed. I was just hoping that he'd get the same improvements that I noticed for the G.

Thought you might want to know.
I found this on the new TL as well. It's already so smooth, that some of the benefits are much harder to notice. Slightly different effects with different vehicles. Sometimes the same vehicle depending on how it's normally driven, break-in process, etc. (at least that's what we suspect). Still, overwhelmingly positive responses from virtually all, even the big V-8s and V-10s, etc. which is very surprising. A huge difference can be felt in many VWs, and Subarus, enough that many techs from the dealerships (and Nissan's) install it on their own vehicles. One dealer (a former skeptic) believes in GroundingGear™ so much that he's offered several of his clients a money-back guarantee! I'm just afraid he'll offer this to the wrong combo of driver/vehicle that won't notice the effects to his/her satisfaction.

BTW, I've finally been recognized 'World-wide'. A System has gone to an enthusiast in Zurich!

Old 06-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the new office, Gord. How's the view?

Good to hear you've made it to Europe! What kind of car did it go in? Any feedback yet?

I've been watching the prices on copper as well. Huge increases! Does this mean you're finally up'ing your prices? Still worth it IMO.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Administrator
Not a bad view. Looks across at another high-rise building across the way. At least it's better than the Manager's office. Her's looks at a huge high-rise apartment complex that's being built and is covered in ugly construction sheeting until it's finished.

It's gone into an FX45. I guess the FX is classed as one of those rare import novelties in Europe.

So far, I'm not planning to increase prices for the 'R&D' Systems. I'm going to try to keep it as it is for as long as I can. I've only been adjusting prices for S&H increases for the last year or so and it's been minimal.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 AM
-

---

Last edited by ma_sha1; 06-08-2006 at 10:53 AM. Reason: -
Old 06-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Another positive review here for the 10 wire kit. I installed it along with a few others items ( 5/16 plenum spacer, 350z tube, K&N drop in filter and in-cabin charcoal filter). The wires were all easily installed except for the ECU/TCU and transmission ones. I had to request additional pics from Gordgee before I could find the attachment point under the car. I also had to reinstall the ECU wires to get the glove box assembly to fit back on. It took about 1 hour for the first 8 wires, then came back the next day after getting pics for the last two.
After getting it all on, an ECU reset was a must to get the full benefit. I noticed the described manual shift speed improvements and overall engine power is much better (may be due to other mods added at the same time).
I would say to anyone considering this mod- go ahead, it works and is not too difficult to do yourself.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:30 AM
I recently installed the 8-wire performance kit on my 6MT Coupe. Initially, I was a bit skeptical on the performance gains. I had never installed any aftermarket grounding kit on any previous cars before. So I didn't know what to expect. But afterwards, I was pleasantly surprised.

The install took me a little longer than anticipated. The odd bolt that was difficult to access consumed some extra time to figure out. Re & re of the hood sensor bracket did not really help me because all of the wiring was zap-strapped down and could not be moved out of the way to get access to the bolt. Instead, I used a short socket extension under and beside the bracket with the aid of a small ratchet to access the hard to reach bolt. The install of the ECU wire proved to be the most involved by going thru the firewall. Most of the provided instructions were fairly accurate. Although, more pics on the instruction sheets would make it more valuable and confidence inspiring to the novice installer like myself . I did notice some of the factory ground wires where I also connected the new wires to these same ground points, and all I have to say is that the factory ground wires were microscopic! They were the size of cheap speaker wires on a micro hifi shelf system (if even)! Our new ground wires are 4-guage wiring. When in comparison to the factory system, the word "huge" is an understatement!

Anyways, after the install, I did not reset the ECU. Instead, I just went for a 10 - 15 minute drive with varying of the throttle. The initial startup, my idling rpm was at a steady 1000rpm. After a few minutes of driving, the ECU then re-adjusted the idling speed to the norm 650rpm. In a couple of instances, I revved out 2nd and 3rd gear and I couldn't believe how much more smoothly the engine pulled. The shifting was improved as well. Even though it's a 6MT whereby I shift gears by myself, the "lurch" during the shift/clutch engagement were minimized. I'm by no means a near-perfect shifting MT driver, but it has definitely improved my gear shifting.

I think this grounding kit truly stabilizes the electrical system of the vehicle. It keeps the electrical voltage steady and improves the response of the car greatly. The most prominent improvements are in the throttle response and during shifting. Those with 5AT will probably see a greater effect with a smoother tranny (with more wires to install). All in all, I think this kit is definitely worthwhile. It will probably outperform most other name brand grounding kits too! And with the owner having the same kit on the same car as ours who is also on this board to provide tech support, what else can you ask for? Thanks Gord!

Last edited by GTR_Boy; 07-03-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:49 PM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, I just wanted to post up some pictures from my install of the 10-wire kit for the 5AT. Maybe the close up pictures will help people with install if they haven't bought a set already

Quick Notes:

1. As you can see, I cleaned up the engine bay with the yellow zip ties which really makes the wires stand out nicely.

2. In the instructions, you were supposed to drill through the grommet leading from the engine bay into the battery compartment. I don't know if I will sell my car one day and return it to stock, so I did't want to leave holes in the grommet. So what I did was I wedged the wires into the rubber pieces that held the other tubing that goes through the battery compartment as you can see below. Looks much cleaner with the batter cover on IMHO.

3. You will have to drill through the grommet that goes through the firewall. I used a small drill bit tip and poked a tiny hole into the grommet and used a plier to open up the hole and shove the grounding wire through. You WILL need to lubricate the wire when inserting it through. I used my spit because, well....its free and was plenty on hand.

4. After sending the wire through the firewall grommet, I sealed it up with electrical tape to make sure that water doesn't seep into the grommet and flood my interior as reported by some drivers with heavy rain.

5. 1 solid week of heavy rains in the Northeast region of the USA and not a single drop in the car.

Attached Thumbnails -0a0a56e3.jpg   -7b04d1f3.jpg   -45fa2e75.jpg   -460b5684.jpg   -c2bb8f4c.jpg  

Last edited by RXM; 07-06-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:51 PM
RXM
Second set of photos

Additional notes:

1. During the install of the initial 8 wires, I had to go run a errand real quick and didn't connect the final wire to the battery termial. I went to start my car and it started almost instantaneously that it was ridiculous. When I got home and finally connected the battery terminal, the car started as usual. Weird. Emailed Gord about this and he will do some R&D.

2. The shifting seemed quicker than before with just the 8 wire kit on.

3. Throttle response improved. My gf drove my car and didn't know I had the wires on even said the car drove differently and feels more sensitive.

4. The car is now DEAD QUIET while I'm parked or at a light. Literally, you can't hear the engine or tell that the car is on.

5. My gf says that my exhaust seems louder than it did before, I can't verify this though... so who knows

AFTER install of the ECU and TCU wires:

1. I didn't notice any difference from the 8 wire kit. Gord said that I needed to beat on it for like 10-15 minutes but with gas prices lately, I don't think I'll be doing that for a while.

I'm hoping the car "wakes" up when I do start to beat on it.

Recommedation: If you haven't bought it already, why are you waiting?

Attached Thumbnails -feb90d26.jpg   -f135d4ad.jpg   -ed2dc262.jpg   -d2718415.jpg   -d1389d75.jpg  

Last edited by RXM; 07-06-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:07 PM
RXM
One last picture with the battery cover on.

More additional notes:

1. Total install time of the wires was 2 1/2 hours for those who are wondering. I took my time with the thing and made sure I did a clean job.

2. Also, I won't be putting the engine cover back on anytime soon. Not till I show everyone and their mom of what it looks like first. Face it, its under the hood and no one will ever see it again most likely so I'm goin to milk it while I can

Attached Thumbnails -p1010276.jpg  

Last edited by RXM; 07-06-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
has anyone installed the wires on a 06 6mt coupe?

-Alex

Old 07-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by RXM
Throttle response improved. My gf drove my car and didn't know I had the wires on even said the car drove differently and feels more sensitive.
Love it when I get 'blind' comments! This is consistent with other 'blind' tests as reported by others.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will look further into the battery terminal wire issue.

I'm leaving to San Francisco for a couple of weeks vacation on the 24th, so I won't be able to until I get back on Aug. 9th at the earliest. Maybe some of you others want to disconnect the negative battery wire (B), and compare the start with it on?

Very nice installation BTW! Looks great. A few others have also passed through to the battery compartment in a similar fashion with good results.

Let me know after you have it in for a while, as some will continue to notice slight changes over the course of several weeks in different conditions.

Originally Posted by ac419
has anyone installed the wires on a 06 6mt coupe?

-Alex
Yes, there have been several here if they'd like to respond. Results consistent compared with other years. I have compiled 6MT specific feedback which I posted elsewhere on this thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®