Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi There

Do anyone know any shops in Orange County or Rowland Heights that will sell and install it?

Old 04-17-2006, 01:05 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by haze
Gordon,
Though it's all good now, will the tight and tautness of the wire be dangerous or problem-inducing?
It shouldn't be a problem, but I'm still unsure as to why it's not a more relaxed fit than it appears. The wires each go through several checks before packaging, so the length should be correct, and has never appeared that way before on other Gs. If it gives you any problems at all, let me know, and I'll take care of it for you.
Originally Posted by what2do
Do anyone know any shops in Orange County or Rowland Heights that will sell and install it?
No GroundingGear™ dealers in CA at present. Several dealerships charge 1 hour labour for the basic install, and 2 hours for the full Performance System.

You should be able to do it yourself with minimal wrenching skills. Some comments about the install can be found on:

Hyper-Ground, even girls can do it!

Most newbies and several females have been able to do the installs quite easily, though it may take a bit longer for those not used to wrenching on their cars. Average time for the underhood wires is 45 minutes, but the record time is 15 minutes!

The ECU/TCU wire require removal of a few panels, and that you get behind the glove-box. It can be done on a separate day, and usually takes about 45 minutes.

You'll need a 10 mm socket wrench to do the install (to take off the engine cover, and for all other bolts). A drill and a sharp 5/16" bit is recommended to make the hole through the rubber grommets, and your favourite lube (saliva, or dish soap works well). If someone has a torque wrench that'll do 6-10 ft-lbs, it would be useful, but not strictly necessary.

A jack and stands or ramps for the AT wire install are needed.

The necessary instructions and pics are included, and I'm usually available to help out by e-mail at groundinggear@yahoo.ca

Old 04-17-2006, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by Gordgee
It shouldn't be a problem, but I'm still unsure as to why it's not a more relaxed fit than it appears. The wires each go through several checks before packaging, so the length should be correct, and has never appeared that way before on other Gs. If it gives you any problems at all, let me know, and I'll take care of it for you.
No GroundingGear™ dealers in CA at present. Several dealerships charge 1 hour labour for the basic install, and 2 hours for the full Performance System.
I'll let you know if a problem do arise, hope it'll never happen. I trust that the wires have gone through extensive checking before shipping, but I'm also almost certain that I've done the ECU wire correctly, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
ive had mine on for a while,its not at all hard to install,even the one to the tranny.i do want to say thank you gord for making up the kit for my stillen s/c.i know you did a lot more then you had to,thanks again.now i sall an instant improvement at idle,it went from about 575 to 650 rpm,s,cant say about throttle response due to the stillen,s pull right off the line.the at trans shifting improved quite a bit from stock,before it felt like it took almost a second to up shift in mm mode,now its at least cut in half.cant wait to go out to the track again to see what if any improvement it will give since the shifts are much faster.btw 03 5at coupe.

Old 04-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I did not understand the directions on the ECU/TCU part to well...pictures were confusing. So I attached the TCU wire to another point of the TCU that was attached to the chassi but was not pictured in the directions...this ok?

Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Neal376
I did not understand the directions on the ECU/TCU part to well...pictures were confusing. So I attached the TCU wire to another point of the TCU that was attached to the chassi but was not pictured in the directions...this ok?
As long as it was attached to a bolt on, or holding the TCU, it should be fine. If you e-mail me, I can send a few more pics of TCU variations, or just take a pic of your point, and e-mail it to me. It's useful for me to see if there are other TCU configurations.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:59 PM
sure, I will get to that tomorow. thanks gord

Old 05-07-2006, 12:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10 wire installed

I installed the 10 wire kit and took the car out on the highway. The differance in MM mode alone was worth it. The throttle response was also more immediate.
Gord also provided great service. He answered all the questions I had and helped with the placement of the #7 wire.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Got the 10 wires package and installed the first 8, I definitely feel the difference. However, when compared with the previous Stillen grounding kit that I had.. (ditched it because of the color...), I dun "feel" any difference.

Yet, I will wait to install the ECU and TCU grounding wires in the next few days and see if it will bring the infamous Gordgee system over the Stillen one

Old 05-12-2006, 11:22 PM
I installed the first 8 wires and took a quick spin. I felt that the shifting was quicker but didn't have time to do a good test. Now that I have the last two installed and the ECU reset, I'm hoping to be able to notice more of a difference. The first impression was that the throttle response was better. The materials in this kit were first rate.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:12 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Took some time to install the last two wires tonite; phew, it took me quite some time considering that i was trying to find the optimal spot to reduce the chance of having a rattling/squeaking/clunking noise due to the installation of the two wires.

However, I now do have to find some silicone sealant to ensure that no water will be able to enter thru that two poked gourmets

Afterall, it feels like the shifting response is improved when compared with just using the 8 wires setup =)

Last edited by godmans; 05-13-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Just buy the ground wires if you have a 5AT... if you have 6MT your not gonna feel anything

Old 05-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by DaVeeD
Just buy the ground wires if you have a 5AT... if you have 6MT your not gonna feel anything
Actually, with virtually every other car other than the G35, most of the Systems I make are for MT equipped cars! The 5AT owners notice a side benefit which is added.

G35 6MT specific feedback:

“I installed my 8 wire system for my 2005 6MT last week. I did the first 7 wires last Monday, then did the 8th ECU wire on Saturday. The effect of the first 7 wires is noticeable, but the 8th wire is very noticeable. Smoother pull at WOT (I have bounced off the limiter a couple of times, it seems to cut off around 7200 RPM), lower idle and generally smoother, even when engaging the clutch after upshifting - the "lurch" is mostly gone.” D.P. Delta, BC

“I just want to tell you what a great set of wires you have supplied me with. The car is more responsive and smoother. The engine compartment looks great, really dresses the engine up.” A.M. Jersey City, NJ

“Well I was a skeptic too. But I thought, all I was doing was grounding the car. Could tell the difference 1st time I lit the engine up. This has to be the most bang for the buck. Pulls much harder down low 2nd & 3rd gear & smooooooooooothed the engine out. Drove to work today in the rain & it wasn't cranky at-all, just thought it was me that was sifting poorly, in the past, but it was the weather. my tach now says I am idling at 650 rpms, down from 800-900. Happy-happy ” W.M. Harleysville PA

“(After the basic install on the 6MT) I find now that it does accelerate a *bit* smoother and somewhat quicker. But more importantly, before, when I ever revved or needed to push the car a bit and I was switching gears at high rpms, the car seemed to roar really loudly and unpleasantly. It seemed to really dislike it. NOW, I find that it doesn't seem to mind when I hit the clutch at 5000rpm, it’s not yelling, just roaring the way I like it… I took my car into the dealership for its 12K service and told one of the mechanics that I had put it on. They were pretty blown away by seeing it. I went back in a week later for a 'rattle' and the same mechanic brought my car out to me. He said for sure he could tell the difference in the clutch (of all places!) and said it was the smoothest he'd driven ever! He said he could really tell - and I'm guessing he drives a fair bit of these G35 coupe 6MTs around!... As a Day 2 update on the ECU (now that it’s installed). I have to admit that I'm really enjoying the difference. Its really has a lot of get-up-and-go now. Before I liked being in 3rd and speeding up around 3500 to 4000 rpm. It had a great kick and good sound. NOW, I find all the gears are rocking and not even that high in the rpm scale. 1st and 2nd really respond now and though I'm not a big 5th gear rider, I really find some oomph when I need it on the highway.” A.L. Toronto, ON

From the GM of an Infiniti/Nissan Dealership who has the basic 6 wire system for his 350Z. Added were the newly developed additional 2 wires for the “350Z 6MT Performance Series” System (8-Wires): "It makes a noticeable improvement now, especially in 1st and 2nd gear! Pulls harder and it's more responsive. No longer weather dependent. (For my car) it’s added a lot of performance over even the basic set." R.S. Edmonton, AB

“Ok, so I just received the full 8-wire system today and installed it on my '05 6MT. I noticed that throttle response was much better, the rpms also seem to drop faster as well when the clutch is in and I'm off the throttle. Also, when I was WOT in first gear exiting a corner, VDC kicked in and it felt completely different. Instead of a jolt when VDC tries to sort you out, it wasn’t sudden at all - almost as if it were just helping you along instead of smacking you in the face.” S.L. Richmond Hill, ON

“I have had the 8 wire 6MT Performance Kit on for about 1.5 weeks and yesterday the beast awoke. I had to drive to Belleville (2 hours) and I guess the ECM must have adjusted and all of a sudden the G sounds like a 350Z. Highway speed is really a treat, cruising at 140 hph and dropping it to 5th to pass, you are up at 180 in a hurry and because the engine is so smooth you don't even know it. The car has been running really smoothly since the install but now the whole package seems to have come together.” P.B. Mississauga, ON

“I took the Stillens off and installed yours, and yes this is the most bang for the $$$$. It did take away my ‘off idle’ problem. I’m very, very happy. Now I’m honest. It was worth the wait.” D.P. West Valley City, UT

“Thanks for the wires!! I had not realized what effect the wires had on the G and I am truly impressed by the performance gain that I am receiving, certainly a larger grin then usual. I have noted a improved response through the throttle and definitely more smooth idling. Blipping the throttle, proved the engine to be much more responsive than the usual chug-vrooom sound I kept getting without the wires, so the wires did make an improvement on the responsiveness and smoothness of the throttle. I haven't (even) installed the ECU wire (yet). I kinda felt the G was just a really nice happy low purring *****cat and when you put the G in WOT it just pounces the pavement and continues on. Gone is the growl when shifting I kept getting when I was letting off the clutch that absolutely annoyed me a great deal. This is certainly well worth the investment for any G or any other performance vehicle. Anyway Thanks Again!!” K.R. Toronto, ON

Old 05-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Gord:

One of the Auto Stereo / Performance shops looked at the GroundingGear that you sent my collegue with the Acura TL, and was very impressed with the quality! Wondered what kind of crimper you use, and how you get the consistent workmanship.

He says that his wires (same supplier) don't look quite the same as the ones you use. Says he'd like to contact you, so I pointed him out to http://groundinggear.com, so expect some business.

BTW, on the Acura, not as much of an improvement as on the G35. Hard to tell the difference in smoothness, but there was a slight improvement with throttle response, especially when driven hard. He noticed a more consistent idle. Because it's a Manual, no change in shifting. Overall, he's happy as it seems "more connected" somehow. He was a skeptic, so I'm glad he noticed. I was just hoping that he'd get the same improvements that I noticed for the G.

Thought you might want to know.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Does the "GroundingGear" kit change any physical grounding point locations, or does it just swap out stock wires for different wires?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®