Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Here's my experience. The 10-wire kit was installed approximately 12 days ago on my 03 5AT sedan. Honestly, I've noticed no difference. Start ups are the same, shifting is the same, manual shifts are the same, and driveability is the same. When going WOT in 3rd (highway) and manually selecting 4th still results in a large delay just as there was before. Double tapping a 4 to 2 downshift still requires attention because the car may or may not select 2nd. The kit is installed corrected.

My hardly used kit will probably be up for sale here shortly. Maybe you'll have better results.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by smedly
I really wasn't sure where to attach the cable to the transmission though, a picture would have been much appreciated.
The attachment point is on the passenger side of the tranny, just north of the cat converter. There's a 10mm bolt holding a metal clamp that secures the tranny wiring harness up against the tranny. It's a little tricky to get to.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't attach my tranny wire there. I attached it south of the cat, which worried me because it is very close to the cat, but my cars shifts so much quicker in mm mode, almost instant.
A picture would have made it much easier, but i'm very happy with Gords kit

Old 10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveB
Here's my experience. The 10-wire kit was installed approximately 12 days ago on my 03 5AT sedan. Honestly, I've noticed no difference. Start ups are the same, shifting is the same, manual shifts are the same, and driveability is the same. When going WOT in 3rd (highway) and manually selecting 4th still results in a large delay just as there was before. Double tapping a 4 to 2 downshift still requires attention because the car may or may not select 2nd. The kit is installed corrected.

My hardly used kit will probably be up for sale here shortly. Maybe you'll have better results.
Wow! That's surprising. I found that Gord's kit made a difference, even over the Sun Auto, and the Stillen kit I had in the G before. Even my wife, and my son noticed, and they didn't even know I had it installed at first.

Well, I guess there is always the chance that for your particular set-up, it may not be very noticeable. Did you re-set the ECU before you did the wires, drive hard, and then again after the installation? The before and after effects were very noticeable for me. My buddy did his 350Z because of the difference he noticed in my car (and he's a BIG skeptic, and doesn't normally do mods of ANY sort!)

Old 10-29-2005, 11:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, I got my 10 wire kit (with the short transmission wire) installed today.

The first 8 wires took me a good 2.5 hours because I am a newbie when it comes to mods. Then again a good 1 hour was spent fishing for screws that was dropped under the engine.

After I installed the first 8 wires, I reset the ECU and took it out for a spin. Didn't notice any difference. The MM delay was there as well as the rough shift from 2nd to 3rd. Just wondering if anyone had the 10 wire kit w/ST. I attached the #7 wire onto a bolt that is clamped onto a long metal tube (I believed that is the transmission fluid tube). Wondered if that's the right place to bolt it to... Attached is a picture of wire#7.

Then I went back to the drawing board and spent another 2 hours getting the ECU and TCU installed. The ECU cable went from the left of the intake manifold through the battery compartment and through some rubber into the glove compartment. How does this cable affect the ECU? The cable looks exactly the same as the other ones except the length.

Anyway, after the 9th and 10th cable I took it out for another spin. This time I noticed a little "less lag". Shifting with half throttle seems pretty quick, but shifting at full throttle still have the lag. If I keep my foot on full throttle and let's say I shift at 4,000rpm, it would shift at around 4,400 rpm. Just from today's experience it seems the last two wires helped the MM mode a bit. Will need to see if there's any change in the coming days.

The rough shift from 2nd to 3rd at around 3,000+ rpm is still present. Maybe I should shift like I drive manual and just take the foot off the gas.

Attached Thumbnails -groudinggear.jpg   -wire7.jpg  

Last edited by mikeee2; 10-30-2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by ckg35
Wow! That's surprising. I found that Gord's kit made a difference, even over the Sun Auto, and the Stillen kit I had in the G before. Even my wife, and my son noticed, and they didn't even know I had it installed at first.

Well, I guess there is always the chance that for your particular set-up, it may not be very noticeable. Did you re-set the ECU before you did the wires, drive hard, and then again after the installation? The before and after effects were very noticeable for me. My buddy did his 350Z because of the difference he noticed in my car (and he's a BIG skeptic, and doesn't normally do mods of ANY sort!)
ckg35, I remembered reading from your earlier post that after the 10 wire kit, MM mode is instant. I find that hard to believe. If you WOT at let's say 2nd gear and shift to 3rd at 4,000 RPM with the foot on full throttle, you telling me the moment up push up at 4,000rpm it changes at 4,000rpm to 3rd????????????????

***EDIT*** It was "bsgoren" who said it was an instant shift after the 10 wire groundinggear.

Last edited by mikeee2; 10-30-2005 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:40 AM
D87
Originally Posted by mikeee2
I attached the #7 wire onto a bolt that is clamped onto a long metal tube (I believed that is the transmission fluid tube). Wondered if that's the right place to bolt it to... Attached is a picture of wire#7.
That's weird. My #7 wire is longer than that in your picture and it's suppose attach to an area under the car. I bet that's why your MM is still a bit laggy. Unfortunately I still haven't installed that last wire but Gord email me a pic of where it should go.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by D87
That's weird. My #7 wire is longer than that in your picture and it's suppose attach to an area under the car. I bet that's why your MM is still a bit laggy. Unfortunately I still haven't installed that last wire but Gord email me a pic of where it should go.
The reason I went with the shorter wire option is so I don't have to crawl under the car. I am a newbie and worry that I will kill myself working under the car.

Gordgee said he tried both the long #7 and short #7 and he said couldn't tell a difference and said the short #7 is at least 85 to 90% as effective so I just ordered the shorter wire.

Reading from an earlier post, DaveB said he didn't see any improvement. I doubt the longer cable would make such a difference. I would think DaveB ordered the regular 10 wire kit. I just find it hard to believe the ones that said "instant shifts".

Last edited by mikeee2; 10-30-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:52 AM
My experience was the MM was greatly improved. Instant is probably a little strong but I would say equal to a good manual shift which is much better than what it was without the kit. Prior to installing the kit I drove in MM most of the time so it was very apparent to me. Most people's experience has been the opposite of DaveB's.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:25 AM
I just find it hard to believe the ones that said "instant shifts".
Actually, it's impossible with an automatic to shift "instantly" when you manually select a gear at WOT because it takes some time for the line pressure to build to execute an upshift and especially a downshift. Now at part-throttle, the shift response is pretty quick, but still not instant. I was always leary of the "instant" statement and knew it wasn't true, but I figured so many people couldn't be making it up so the shift response must at least improve quite a bit. Well, in my case, it didn't. Maybe my 5AT is more responsive than the average 5AT. One thing I have noticed is you need to be very direct with the shifter. You must hit up firmly to the stop and momentarily hold it. When doing that, the response is much better.

So many of us want to believe an automatic can shift like a sequential manual shifter, but the truth is the 5AT is still a fluid driven automatic with torque converter it physically can't shift instantly unless you put in a fully manual valvebody.....and for those of us that have driven a car with one, you don't want it. It's violent.

Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 AM
DaveB: do you MM all the time and are you generally "spirited" in your driving? Just wondering if your ECU/TCU has already been well taught so room for improvement was not as great as others. Possible?

Old 10-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Actually, it's impossible with an automatic to shift "instantly" when you manually select a gear at WOT because it takes some time for the line pressure to build to execute an upshift and especially a downshift. Now at part-throttle, the shift response is pretty quick, but still not instant. I was always leary of the "instant" statement and knew it wasn't true, but I figured so many people couldn't be making it up so the shift response must at least improve quite a bit. Well, in my case, it didn't. Maybe my 5AT is more responsive than the average 5AT. One thing I have noticed is you need to be very direct with the shifter. You must hit up firmly to the stop and momentarily hold it. When doing that, the response is much better.

So many of us want to believe an automatic can shift like a sequential manual shifter, but the truth is the 5AT is still a fluid driven automatic with torque converter it physically can't shift instantly unless you put in a fully manual valvebody.....and for those of us that have driven a car with one, you don't want it. It's violent.
Agreed!!! Coming from driving manual all my life, it was a tough choice switching to automatic. I too do not believe in the "instant shift", thus I was tracing back to the person that said it. Maybe he didn't meant at WOT because it's impossible. I would say I used MM mode at least 80 to 90% while driving. I just can't stand the unnecessary unshift everytime I let go of the gas pedal. That just drives me nuts. MM mode is no way close to comparing to a manual but at least it does a decent job holding onto the gears.

Old 10-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Agreed!!! Coming from driving manual all my life, it was a tough choice switching to automatic. I too do not believe in the "instant shift", thus I was tracing back to the person that said it. Maybe he didn't meant at WOT because it's impossible. I would say I used MM mode at least 80 to 90% while driving. I just can't stand the unnecessary unshift everytime I let go of the gas pedal. That just drives me nuts. MM mode is no way close to comparing to a manual but at least it does a decent job holding onto the gears.
Yeah, being able to hold the gears and downshift is probably the biggest benefit to the MM. It's definitely nice, but it still can't compare to a manual. I wish Infiniti get make this tranny a little more aggressive. Compared to a GM auto, the Jatco 5AT is a bit sluggish to downshift and it does so pretty softly. GM autos shift docile around town, but are eager to downshift and upshift pretty dang hard at WOT. It's probably no quicker, but it sure feels a lot better.

What bugs me the most about the 5AT is getting a clean 4th gear downshift on the highway while in D. It feels like the tranny momentarily sits there and thinks if it should hold 5th or downshift. Also, there's not much throttle application difference between downshifting to 4th or making a double downshift into 3rd. That's really annoying.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by geeman49
DaveB: do you MM all the time and are you generally "spirited" in your driving? Just wondering if your ECU/TCU has already been well taught so room for improvement was not as great as others. Possible?
I defintely wouldn't rule it out. I am usually pretty spirited in my driving, but I don't use MM all the time though. I do keep the car in 4th around town (anything below 50mph). It just feels more responsive that way.

So many people have had good results with the kit and I'm probably one of very few that really couldn't notice much of a real change. However, most of you guys know me and most will agree I'm really critical of mods. With that said, I have no ill will against the Gordee and his product.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:34 AM
I defintely wouldn't rule it out. I am usually pretty spirited in my driving, but I don't use MM all the time though. I do keep the car in 4th around town (anything below 50mph). It just feels more responsive that way.
I also keep mine in 4th and MM 90% of the time. I hate the 2-3 shift the auto does. It never has enough RPMs so you get this kind of stutter when it shifts to 3. MM is the way to go.

So many people have had good results with the kit and I'm probably one of very few that really couldn't notice much of a real change. However, most of you guys know me and most will agree I'm really critical of mods. With that said, I have no ill will against the Gordee and his product.
Critical? Ya think?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®