Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pics of install on an 03.5C 5AT

Attached Thumbnails -gordgee-10-wire-small-.jpg   -gordgee-10-wire-2-small-.jpg   -gordegee-10-wire-3-small-.jpg   -gordgee-10-wire-4-small-.jpg   -gordgee-10-wire-5-small-.jpg  

Old 04-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Nice job! Looks like a very clean install.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sundeviljay
Definitely not necessary....
Yes, most ppl notice right away without a reset. A reset can help the ECU adapt a bit quicker to the new signal, so some ppl notice a more dramatic difference.

I suggest that if you do an ECU re-set for any mod, that you do one prior to installing the mod, and then going for a hard drive. That way, you get a baseline to compare with a re-set (and hard drive at WOT) following the mod installation, and can be assured that the effects you notice are from the mod, and not from the ECU re-set.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Easein2itG
Pics of install on an 03.5C 5AT
Great pics.

My suggestion would be to move #8 wire and the factory ground wires all to the right ground point that you've attached the others to. Previous testing has shown that a very slight difference can be felt.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by Gordgee
Great pics.

My suggestion would be to move #8 wire and the factory ground wires all to the right ground point that you've attached the others to. Previous testing has shown that a very slight difference can be felt.
Thanks Gord, I'll move the Cam housing wire and the other factory grounds to the others. Appreciate the look and input!

Old 04-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, I finally got my Grounding Gear installed. I must first say, that my car has less than 1500 miles on it, and I've done so many mods so fast, it wouldn't really be fair to say I didn't notice a difference. With that said, I first installed the first 7 wires of the 10 wire 5AT Performance Series kit. I didn't install the Tranny wire (as I had no ramps yet) or the ECU and TCU wires. I tooled around in the car and like I said, didn't really notice a big difference. However, I did just install my 1/2 plenum spacer two days earlier and was still getting use to that. I purchased some ramps the day I installed the first 7 wires, and today I installed the last 3 (Tranny, ECU, & TCU). I must say, I did notice a difference with these. My car shifts much better. No big lag time shifting gears. Much quicker and smoother. I'm sorry I can't give a better evaluation of the Standard Grounding Gear Kit, but like I said. I don't even get use to one mod, by the time I'm installing my next. Therefore, it wouldn't be fair to post judgement. I will say that my car does shift much much better now and I'm very happy with the quality of the kit, and the professionalism of Gordon. The install was a breeze, outside getting the tranny ground bolt threaded. Even the removal of the glove box was much easier than I had expected. Total time was around 1.5-2.0 hours and I haven't turned a wrench in years. Thanks for the wonderful product Gordon.

Ryan

Old 04-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Thumbs up 7 wire Ground Kit Installed

Just put on the 7 wire ground kit for my 05 A/T coupe, did a ECU reset.

#1 Great product, good quality materials.
#2 Car started up smoother and idled a little funny but then evened out.
#3 Drive around in "D" - car feels like it just got a tune-up, more responsive and more pep, very smooth idle
#4 Drive in "MM" WOT shifts- no more lag in the tranny, each shift is on the money

Everyone with a A/T should have this kit.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:17 PM
MORE POWER PLZ!!!
Does this happend to any of you guys..When i shift in MM i have to shift at 6k rpm in order for it to shift at redline. For my car i think there is still a lag but its better then stock tho. Stock lagged like a biotchhh.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:37 PM
shift at 6000 to get to 6700? something isnt right. As I posted after the grounding kit install shifts are almost instant

Old 04-14-2006, 07:42 PM
EDIT: Updated with full results and more impressions as each day goes by.

Update (April 18th, 1am PST): Listen to the same CD on a stock G, sound system difference became minimal if any under comparision.

Update (April 16th, 4pm PST): Let me begin by saying that I have sensitive ears. I was going into my garage this afternoon, and it was a quiet environment, and i happened to turn up the volume to 22 with bass at 5 on some techno music. I cannot confirm fully yet, but I can hear that the grounding kit did some wonder to the sound system as well. I was shocked as this made no logical sense to me that a few wires will improve the audio system in the G, but I think I'm wrong. The bass sounded more solid up to that volume and midrange is slightly more pronounced.

I've bought 10-wire performance kit system with the short transmission wire. I'm a COMPLETE noob with it comes to car modification DIY, the most complicated thing i've done is changing the clear corners. Ok, first of all, I don't have the best tools, just enough to do the job. Secondly, I got a friend to help me here and there.

Review of GroundingGear 10 wire 5AT kit:

Shipping and Packaging: 10 out of 10 - simple, well packed, all parts secure. Arrived in 2 days from Edmonton to Vancouver with tracking via XpressPost by Canadapost.

Service: 10 out of 10 - answers to email and phone calls right away and address the problem specifically and helpfully. Awesome service from a great guy.

Documentation: 6.5 out of 10 - "well-written but need more pics, in color for the noobs, would have been a welcome addition. Having close up pictures and/or diagrams of each and every ground point would have saved time wondering if you've got the right spot." - quoted from another review on this forum and I agree 100%.

Build Quality: 10 out of 10 - audiopile quality!!!! no complains, wire numbering system is great as well.

Performance: 10 out of 10 - no noticable horsepower or torque increase felt. No change felt in start up. I'd have to say the drivability of the car in general has increased. Much faster throttle response and more responsive shifts. Quick double downshifting is finally possible with the G. Downshifting also seem much more "intelligent". When the tranny is in D, it seems to upshift quicker during normal city driving situations (reason for some reporting an increase gas milage??).

Upshifting: slightly improved
Downshifting: hella improved!!!

Installation: 7 out of 10 - maybe my friend and i are just purely noobs or maybe we just suck, but i'd have to confess that we're not stupid, we know what we're doing, bright minded, just mechanically not inclined. ok... the first 7 plus short transmission wires took us 3 hours, then the ECU and TCU wires took us another 3 hours on another day.

First 7 plus short trans wires is doable alone, but having a pair of helping hands definitely helps and smooth out things, especially when both of us is not very experienced with wrenches and drills.

Onto the ECU and TCU wires, now, here's where my real complain starts. TCU wire is perfect, however, the ECU wire is about an inch or two too short; and the hardest part is trying to fish it down the correct path to connect it to the ECU grounding point. I feel that this is next to impossible to accomplish with alone. One must fish it down to the EXACT path and use the shortest distance to have it long enough to connect to the right bolt. I was behind the glove box guiding the wire and my friend was feeding the wire from the engine bay.

Conclusion: highly recommanded! The overall driving characteristics of the car has definitely improved. The smoothness now is unmatched, feels almost like a different car. This is one of the best mod for the price.

Attached Thumbnails -dsc00047.jpg   -dsc00051.jpg   -dsc00052.jpg   -dsc00053.jpg  

Last edited by haze; 04-18-2006 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:11 PM
MORE POWER PLZ!!!
Originally Posted by G35DDS
shift at 6000 to get to 6700? something isnt right. As I posted after the grounding kit install shifts are almost instant
Maybe because mine is an 06? I don't know, did anyone else install it on an 06 that can give me some feedback?

Old 04-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by richboy
Maybe because mine is an 06? I don't know, did anyone else install it on an 06 that can give me some feedback?
i have an 06', and after installin the 10-wire kit, downshifting has definitely improved drastically, and upshifting increased slightly. i'd say probably in 2nd gear, i can now upshift at 6400rpm and it'll be at 6700rpm when it actually upshifts. 6000rpm definitely seems too early.

Old 04-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
10,000 views......congrats, Gordgee !!!

Old 04-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by haze
Documentation: 6.5 out of 10 - "well-written but need more pics, in color for the noobs, would have been a welcome addition. Having close up pictures and/or diagrams of each and every ground point would have saved time wondering if you've got the right spot." - quoted from another review on this forum and I agree 100%.
Haze:

The biggest reason that I don't include more pics is that many of these Systems are supplied to dealerships and other performance shops. Most professional techs find that if there are too many pics or long instructions, it becomes time consuming, and unnecessary, so will ignore the install instructions and work to their intuition (they do already, which is why I've found some are installed incorrectly ). Some pics actually make the point of install more confusing due to the angle, and/or slight changes to the car. I therefore include the instructions that are the most concise and non-confusing.

For those that need extra and/or colour pics, I usually get a request by e-mail, and I e-mail them out.

BTW, it looks like you switched the #2 and #3 wires around? Wasn't the #2 wire too short (the #3 wire looks too long in your photos.}

I'm trying to figure out why your ECU wire is stretched so tightly over the battery. It's lengthed with several inches to spare to give it a nice relaxed route, and usually goes around, and behind the battery.

Thank-you for the feedback and pics.

Old 04-16-2006, 04:22 PM
Gordon,
Thanks for your response here. It is probably just me being inexperience and would think more pictures and more elaborated instructions would help in my situation. No worries. I understand your logic there with professional techs.

Yea, i think I might have switched #2 and #3 around, but at least they both are grounded to where they are supposed to. #2 and #3 isn't any big problem at all, but the ECU definitely is. There is definitely NO SLACK in the ECU wire, in fact, it is pulled tightly to the max to have it fit exactly. Though it's all good now, will the tight and tautness of the wire be dangerous or problem-inducing?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®