Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah and the Touareg!

Old 10-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Okay - I have searched and read about this product ALL day - so...

Can someone describe the install for the 10-wire AT?

I read about a drill and a grommet somewhere - what exactly is involved here?

Are the wires bolted to existing points on the motor/chassis?

Do they need to be tied to keep from hanging down on the hot parts or belts?

What's all this about the glove box removal? Can someone provide details there?

Personally, I think a lot of potential buyers are shying away from this because they have no idea what is involved. I know once I heard about removing a door panel (why on earth would you need to take a door panel off to ground the motor?) it made me nervous.

Help me take the plunge?

Thanks,

Old 10-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Door panel doesn't need to be removed. I think your talking about me though....during the install meet we had when we installed the wire kits, I also popped of my door panel to change the step lights to blue leds. As far as the kit, it all bolts on to factory bolt locations and there are a few zip ties you can use to make sure they don't contact any hot surfaces. Glove box is removed to attach the ecu and tcu wires and you might as well check you cabin filter while your down there.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the info - couple of follow ups:

How do you take out the glove box? Is this the lower glove box we are talking about?

Old 10-05-2005, 12:52 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, it's the lower glove-box. You can see the screws that need to be removed to do this.

Some comments about the install can be found on:

Hyper-Ground, even girls can do it!

Most newbies and several females have been able to do the installs quite easily, though it may take a bit longer for those not used to wrenching on their cars. Average time for the underhood wires is 45 minutes, but the record time is 15 minutes!

The full length tranny wire is the most difficult as it requires that you safely get under your car on jackstands or other. The ST option is almost as effective, and would be recommended if you don't want to crawl under the car, and is easily done. Some attach all the wires, and dangle the loose end of the tranny wire down, and have a friendly garage or tire shop attach the wire to the tranny which takes about 5 minutes or less, and have been charged $5 to $20 to do this.

The ECU/TCU wire require removal of a few panels, and that you get behind the glove-box. It can be done on a separate day, and usually takes about 45 minutes.

You'll need a 10 mm socket wrench to do the install (to take off the engine cover, and for all other bolts). A drill and a sharp 5/8" bit is recommended to make the hole through the rubber grommets, and your favourite lube (saliva, or dish soap works well). If someone has a torque wrench that'll do 6-10 ft-lbs, it would be useful, but not strictly necessary.

A jack and stands or ramps for the AT wire install are needed.

The necessary instructions and pics are included, and I'm usually available to help out by e-mail at groundinggear@yahoo.ca

Old 10-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed the 8 wire 6MT kit about a week and a half ago. The wires themselves are made quite well. They have a high quality look to them. The install was very easy and effortless. The only time consuming part was the removal and the re-installation of the glove compartment and the other associated parts for the ECU wire. This was mainly due to the fact that I didn't want to break anything and was very careful in putting things back into place to avoid any potential creaking and what not.

I notice one thing right away during my first spirited test run. While shifting at 5k rpms and above the GROANING/HOWLING sound, which I normally hear as I depress the clutch was GONE. Perhaps the clutch had worn itself in or something. However, I noticed the groaning/howling sound, if you will, had disappeared immediately after the wire install. I don't quite understand the relationship of all this, but it doesn't matter. That awful sound is gone and I can only attribte it to Gord's wires based on my own personal experience.

The other difference, which I have definitely noticed is the idling rpms. Prior to the wire install the idling rpms would range anywhere from 800 to 900 rpms with the AC turned off. Now the engine idles consistently at 800rpms or just a very small tad above.

Once again, I really do not understand how all this works and I don't care. It just works!

I am very pleased with the GroundingGear Kit, which I received from Gord. Thanks, Gord!

Last edited by Andy2434; 10-20-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by binar
Like others I was impressed with the quality of this product! Very nicely done!
(I wish you hadn't put the yellow 'GroundGear' sleeves on though.. )
Personally, I like the GroundingGear sleeves. It tells me that I'm getting the REAL thing, especially when it comes to these hyper-ground kits. There are too many knock-offs on the market. Even the Nismo ones on E-bay aren't Nismo.

Again, I've tried Sun Auto, and Stillen (the real ones), and Gord's product make a REAL and noticeable difference!

Old 10-10-2005, 02:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The grounding gear is freakin awesome. Gord has really outdone himself on a real quality product. Install was fairly easy even for a newb like me, as long as you have all the right tools you will be just fine. I felt a difference right after the install, better shifting, revs faster and higher, smoother idle, overall a real great mod for not a lot of money. Most definately a great bang for you buck mod.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:18 PM
The install and early results of a 10 wire kit for 04 G35 AT coupe and 05 Mazda3 5sp.

Easy install. Took about three hours at an easy pace to do both cars.

G35 coupe: Too early to tell full benefits, but the immediate difference in the transmission response is simply amazing. I was so impressed in that respect it was worth the $$$ spent for both cars…..! General all around drivability response does feel “smoother / quicker”.

Mazda3- 5sp is a definite. Throttle response is better under acceleration and de-acceleration. It seemed to make a tiny, annoying hesitation / skip / miss go away. {this car has 6K miles on it and the Mazda folks have tried to find the annoying little skip since new with no success} so, bravo, maybe….!!!! I’ll know more when I get back from Annapolis via Atlanta next week. {FYI, the TB had a tiny bit of resistance, so I added a ground to the TB too. Figured it couldn’t hurt}

Back from Annapolis & Mazda3 still slick & the wife noticed less symptoms of “skip” , less RPM “float” {emissions burn off ?} when shifting = smoother, better responce.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Just installed 8 of the 10 wires on my 05 5AT sedan. Question for you with the same - on the point near the hood sensor, did you only have a single 16 g wire present? Although I removed the sensoe bracket, the only close point just had the one thin wire that was snaked out thru the thicker bundle. Looking at online picts of a 350Z, there is a much more substantial wire being grounded. Also, the one I used is accessable even without removing the hood sensor bracket.

sd_diver

Old 10-23-2005, 01:00 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sd_diver
Just installed 8 of the 10 wires on my 05 5AT sedan. Question for you with the same - on the point near the hood sensor, did you only have a single 16 g wire present? Although I removed the sensoe bracket, the only close point just had the one thin wire that was snaked out thru the thicker bundle. Looking at online picts of a 350Z, there is a much more substantial wire being grounded. Also, the one I used is accessable even without removing the hood sensor bracket.

sd_diver
That sounds like the correct one. The factory ground wire coming out of the bundle is a very small gauge wire. Here's a pic.

Attached Thumbnails -left-strut-tower-copy.jpg  
Old 10-26-2005, 11:30 PM
wait how much is this mod?? and how could i possibly get a hold of one??

Old 10-26-2005, 11:31 PM
this mod just seems very interesting that it got me hooked now........i just might wanna get one my self =P

Old 10-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Jp1
Just click on Gordon's name and PM him.

The manumatic shifting is finally right!

Let alone all the other benefits this mod brings.

jp

Old 10-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I bought the 10 wire kit. I first installed 5 wires, and didn't notice any change, then yesterday I installed the 8 wires including the transmission cable. Took the car for a drive last night and in MM mode the shifts were almost instant. The transmission seemed to shift firmer also. Very impressed with the MM mode now. I really wasn't sure where to attach the cable to the transmission though, a picture would have been much appreciated.
I still have to attach the ECU cables, but I want to drive for a week before doing that to see if there is a noticable difference.
I recommend going with at least the 8 wire kit, seeing as I didn't notice that much of a change with the first 5 wires.
My idle did not drop which some have reported, and my car does not seem to start any easier, but it always started easy. The engine does seem more responsive though, it seems to rev up even quicker which is hard to believe
I would absolutely buy this product again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®