Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks guys! Sometimes I think that after the costs are added in the running this company, the guys making it in their basements are making more money than I am! (Seriously!)

Old 03-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gordgee

10 wire GroundingGear® System for the G35 that has gone World-wide....GroundingGear Ltd. has developed over 65 unique vehicle applications for 39 models from various vehicle manufacturers, and the optimum wire count for many, if not most, is only 5 or 6! The 5 wire models include most of the Audi, BMW, Mazda; 6 wires for the Lexus IS, Mazda RX-8 & MazdaSpeed Miata; 7 for the Nissan Titan, WRX/STi, etc. Does any one see a pattern here? The actual number of wires isn’t the most important factor! It’s only an issue for bragging rights, not performance or effectiveness.
Wow, Gord! I knew that you had at least 2 Universal Kits, but I hadn't realized that you had as many Custom kits available. They aren't listed on your website.

So in what far-off countries is GroundingGear used?

Old 03-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
less than 24 hrs till i get my kit installed - can't wait

Old 03-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks guys! Sometimes I think that after the costs are added in the running this company, the guys making it in their basements are making more money than I am! (Seriously!)
Gord, I hate to think they are making more money off your effort but I know they are not providing the same quality customer service that you are and there is a lot to be said for that. I know when I did my install and posted pics, you were quick to comment and offer suggestions as well as answering my questions. Keep up the good work and buyers should remember that they get what they pay for! I prefer to deal with someone that knows their product and provides the customer support when needed.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:45 AM
well the kit is installed and it was so easy.

i installed all the wires and drove it. the first few mins after resetting the ecu it was still sluggish while shifting but after 10 mins of WOT driving, it is perfect.

minimal (less than 5%) non smooth shifting and it pulls a bit better.

IMO worth it and since my car is a daily driver (70kms each day), i will know better in a week or so.

Thanks Gordgee I will update you soon since im your only customer in DUbai

Old 04-06-2007, 06:44 PM
just got my 8-wire performance system on and its great! maybe its me but i felt like i noticed a diff right away! thanks much gord!

Old 04-06-2007, 07:29 PM
update: shifting is better than stock but noticed my mileage has dropped. i used to get 420kms on a full tank but now get 370-380.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by clinthammer
update: shifting is better than stock but noticed my mileage has dropped. i used to get 420kms on a full tank but now get 370-380.
Odd. Of the reports of changes in gas mileage, all have previously reported better mileage, not worse.

Mileage can vary with the ambient temperature, and conditions, however, most report lower mileage with any mod because of a more aggressive driving style and throttle application after installation. Could this be what's happening with you?

Old 04-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by chobble19
just got my 8-wire performance system on and its great! maybe its me but i felt like i noticed a diff right away! thanks much gord!
Thanks for the feedback from another 6MT driver! What sort of things did you notice?

Interestingly, for all other vehicles except for the G35, most GroundingGear® equipped cars are MT, not AT!

Old 04-08-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback from another 6MT driver! What sort of things did you notice?

Interestingly, for all other vehicles except for the G35, most GroundingGear® equipped cars are MT, not AT!
not a prob Gord! i used to have the stillen grounding system on that in no way compared to the quality of the kit i receievd from u gord. everything feels tighter (smoother) and my reaction times seem a little quicker during shifts at WOT as well as thottle response!

ps i also installed the ecu wire to a bolt that secures the ecu...

Attached Thumbnails -img_0001.jpg   -img_0002.jpg   -img_0003.jpg   -img_0004.jpg   -img_0005.jpg  

Old 04-08-2007, 06:43 PM
few more photos for the helk of it =):

Attached Thumbnails -img_0007.jpg   -img_0008.jpg   -img_0009.jpg   -img_0010.jpg  
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 PM
well i was driving aggressive but no more aggressive than without the wires.

Since my last tank of gas, Ive been driving miss daisy (no flooring it, high revving etc.) and should get around 400kms on a full tank. I wll update you soon.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Administrator
I used to have the Stillen Grounding System on that in no way compared to the quality of the kit I received from u gord. everything feels tighter (smoother) and my reaction times seem a little quicker during shifts at WOT as well as throttle response!
Thanks for the great pics!

I'm assuming that you felt improvements over those of the Stillen kit? Which were the most significant? I've had similar comments from switch-overs by 5AT drivers, so I'm interested in your 6MT experiences.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i used to have the stillen grounding system on that in no way compared to the quality of the kit i receievd from u gord.
I had the Sun Auto Kit first, and then the Stillen, before I tried Gord's. I totally agree! Better quality, and even my wife could feel the difference (she didn't know I changed them over ).

Old 04-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GroundingGear on a 2007 G35

I don’t usually join forums like this, as I have a negatively biased view of them, primarily due to the essential anonymity of the medium. Anyone can say with virtual impunity, almost anything, whether true or false, and present themselves as “experts” and pontificate to the masses. Sure, there is some valuable information exchanged, but I suspect just as much garbage is passed. I laugh when on automotive forums, “Technicians” pass on their wisdom and experience to the masses, all on a regular basis, and for free! If the guy really is a Tech, this is usually due to negative Performance Reviews at the shop, or some other inadequacy for which he posts on a forum to seek a following, or otherwise fill his empty life. Do you really want a guy who gets reprimanded at work for shoddiness, giving you advice on your car? Maybe I’m just cynical to the extreme, but how many Stock Brokers, or Doctors (or any other professional) do you know of that would willingly give up their free time, expertise, etc. to thousands of anonymous consumers- especially on a regular basis?

(I’m having fun here, because Cam is in the next office, and is waiting to read my review. I told him I’d only join and post if he let me state my position on Internet Forums.)

Some background first:

My fun car remains a Porsche Cayman S. Best damn driver’s car I’ve ever owned! No, I don’t abuse my car(s) on the track, but I do thoroughly enjoy driving, and spend many recreational hours at the wheel. My last car (pre 2007 G35) was a BMW 330i. Great car, interior a bit austere and snug, but I love the smoothness of the inline 6 and general feel of the car!

I really didn’t believe Cam at first re these “magic wires” and their unbelievable effects! I don’t believe that there is any aftermarket mod that works for all cars. Vehicles are designed by the engineers (granted to certain price points) to specific standards of performance and to appeal to the target market. You’re kidding yourself if you think that a body-kit is going to reduce the Cd of a well designed car. A wing or spoiler? Give me a break! Most cars with spoilers are cars like Civics, Neons, and econoboxes trying to appeal to the teens. A CAI or exhaust isn’t going to improve performance on many cars unless you believe noise = power. Any mod (nitrous, turbo, etc.) that can increase performance universally, inevitably introduce drivability and/or reliability compromises. If you want a faster car, buy one! A Civic will always be a Civic, even if it blows the doors off a Ferrari. A dyno result doesn't show how drivable a car is, nor how that power is put to the ground.

I believe that cars, for the most part should be left stock. I test drive a car with this in mind, and the car I usually choose is based on my expectations, and/or what compromises I’m willing to live with.

So it was reluctance that I added this grounding kit to my car. Cam offered a dinner at Ruth’s Chris if I honestly didn’t like the difference.

During the wait for the 2007 G35 system’s development, I spoke with my next door neighbor who teaches at a local technical institute. He put me in contact with the Automotive Technology Program Director. In discussion, and looking at the information as presented on the GroundingGear website, he basically turned to me and said, “Robert, you know, I see aftermarket automotive products all the time. But this is one of the few things that might actually work!” He wanted me to get back to him if I did this and gathered a few impressions.

I then did a bit of research on the internet. Lots of low cost grounding kits on Ebay, and many made by members of various forums. Varied results posted by the users, but interestingly, GroundingGear came up numerous times on various internet forums, including VW, Subaru, and Honda. Virtually all reported overwhelmingly positive results and nothing significantly negative (from those that have actually used GroundingGear), and it looks like GroundingGear has the reputation as being the best, even over the major brands I’d heard of. Too good to be true? Surprisingly, looks like a significant number of people have changed over from others, and notice the difference! Cam told me that he had also tried 2 other major brand kits, and noticed differences. Cam sounds like a commercial at times, but I generally trust him. This just couldn’t be if a “wire is just a wire” or if it works simply by making the grounding of a vehicle more robust. Something else (real engineering?) must be happening.

I read through his review thread, as well as the old thread in the FAQ section (Huge, by the way, and actually an interesting read) and again, it’s virtually impossible to discount this as a placebo phenomenon.

Well, contact with Gordon went smoothly, as did the transaction.Very professional, and he was always prompt and honest in answering my questions by Email- always a good sign.

So, for my 2007 G35:

To prepare, I spent the days preceding the installation making mental note of how the car responds in various conditions (start-up, idle, stop-and-go, hard throttle, etc.). I examined my engine compartment, and noted the substantial thickness of the existing ground wires.

I spent a free day on a week-end installing the product (now I understand why he refers to it as a System). Very clear instructions and I had no real difficulties following the step-by-step directions. Getting the long ECU wire to its destination was challenging, but do-able (and now I at least know what’s involved with changing the In-cabin filter when it needs replacement in a year). I had a hard time finding one of the screws holding the dash together, but on close inspection, it was right in plain view. Took me about 2 1/2 hours total for the installation.

With everything back together, I started the car. Hmmmmm! Backed the car out of the garage. It’s at this point that I could not deny that there was a difference! The car was smoother, and something else. I’m not sure what, but the experience sent a strange sensation up my back (positive, like when an epiphany occurs, or when you know that ball you hit has the chance of being a hole-in-one).

As I drove through the residential streets, I noted that the shift quality seemed smoother, and as it warmed up to operating temperature. There was a feeling that the car was more responsive somehow, and “more connected” to me as a driver, if that makes sense. I liked the way the car was before, but it almost felt, as someone else wrote, the car had gotten a good tune-up! The most significant thing was (BMW drivers will understand)that the engine now approaches the smoothness and free-revving nature that the Bimmer motors are known for! Not quite like in my 330i, but close! This alone, was worth the price of admission for me. The transmission seems to shift a little harder and quicker on hard throttle as well. Not dramatically, but enough to notice.

Another surprise is going up a hill on a road that I regularly take. It seems that it now requires less effort, and I no longer have to press the gas pedal as far. Is it faster? I don't know.

Bottom line; I’m actually quite enjoying the new smoothness and response to my car. I guess I’m another converted skeptic. Would I purchase one for my Cayman? Probably not, even if they made one for it. Would I get one for a different daily driver? I’d have to say it’s likely. Worth it? Yes, at least in this case. Depends on expectations. Would I recommend this to anyone else? Probably, if someone asked my opinion about it. Would I be likely to try out another mod on my car? Probably not, since my previous opinions about most aftermarket mods remain largely unchanged- but never say never. Will I miss Cam paying for my meal? Yes, but we’re still going to Ruth’s, my treat.

Would I ever join and post in another car forum? Not likely, but now I can say I have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®