Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Gordgee's GroundingGear®

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the grounding kit really change the car noticeably? There is a thread on my350z that says that grounding kits are a waste of money and only add asthetic value. Anyone on this....

Old 12-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordgee
We have Systems for a variety of VWs, and feedback has been very good. In some cases, the users report feeling as much difference as a Wetterauer re-chip!

I have a System for the 2004 TDi, but I'm assuming that there have been changes in the newer models, so we'll have to do some R&D to develop one for the '07.

Gord, let me know when you get the kits out for the '07 2.5 engine. My GF just got the new rabbit.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by minus500
Does the grounding kit really change the car noticeably? There is a thread on my350z that says that grounding kits are a waste of money and only add asthetic value. Anyone on this....

Apparently not all kits are equal and it is possible for you to get a grounding kit that will not have you feel any performance gains. Also if you're expecting it to suck you back into your seat, you're in for some dissappointment.

I believe grounding kits originally were for cars with a lot of electrical equipment, ie stereo, computer, TV's. If you're planning on having any of those things installed, you might want to get a grounding kit.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by EvolutionGSR
Apparently not all kits are equal and it is possible for you to get a grounding kit that will not have you feel any performance gains. Also if you're expecting it to suck you back into your seat, you're in for some dissappointment.

I believe grounding kits originally were for cars with a lot of electrical equipment, ie stereo, computer, TV's. If you're planning on having any of those things installed, you might want to get a grounding kit.
Gotcha. I didn't expect any performance but, people are saying it idles smoother and shifts faster(Manual Mode 5AT) etc but, there are alot of people that say that these are just a waste of money. Just trying to find some conclusive evidence.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Thumbs up here comes another one...

first of all many thanks to Gord for being patient with me, I guess it paid off that I decided to finish this project over the holidays

well, against the advice of pretty much everyone i know and have come to rely on for advice with what goes on the car and what doesn't, i went ahead and installed the 10 wire kit on my 03 AT. BTW, I am now the second owner of these wires and the wires themselves do not look beaten at all, only but great quality here.

the installation was cake until i had to do tranny wire. armed with my cellphone light and a single jack, this made me work an extra hour, which should have taken less than 15 minutes given proper equipment aka flashlight and jackstands.

driving impressions, well you are not gonna find anything new here... as was previously stated by the others, same exact benefits. the only thing i have not tested is the better mileage claim. but seeing as how the idling and crispy shifting is on point, i wouldnt be surprised if i did get more for my gas.

final thoughts... everyone will believe whatever they want to about this product. what i believe is that this may not for everyone, and that I am just fortunate to be one of the MANY MANY owners of this kit to actually feel a significant difference. if you have an AT and your car does not shift within a fraction of a second, then you should seriously consider this product.

thanks to Gord, this thread and everyone on this forum who made this a quick and painless install for me.

Last edited by eldgebroni; 12-25-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ddubb
Here's a quick impression of the Grounding Gear 10 wire kit for the 07's. I received the kit couple days ago and finally had several hours where I could finally install it.

The product itself is very well made, props to Gordgee, I was impressed right off the bat. The instructions are very clear with pictures and made life very easy as I went down the list and crossed each step off.

The install took me about 4 hours only because I did other things in the middle of it. The hardest part was the glove box and deciding how I wanted to run the wires. I attached some pics in case anyone's curious how the 07 looks. I'll be strapping up the blue wire that hangs down in the front, but for now everything is connected and functional.

After I was done I took the car for a nice 20 minute drive on the freeway and nice twisty backroads keeping the RPMs high and manually shifting at every turn as needed. I did the full ECU reset when I unplugged the battery and completed the circuit. Initial impressions are great. Shifting is without a doubt improved and smooth as silk. Pedal response was also much more sensitive. D, DS and Sport all felt much better with no harsh shifts like I would get sometimes if I slow down right before the 2-3 shift in DS. The revmatch also felt much cleaner and the duration was shorter when going to the next gear up or down. I'll know mileage changes after I drive it for a while.

All in all, I'm pleased with the product and I am a believer in this mod.

Thanks Gord.
Decided to quote the only other 07+ Sedan I have seen posting a review.

I found that a couple of wires could have been a tad bit longer so that the wire at the point of the spades joints do not need to be bent too drastically...I will see if Gordee can address that issue.

Although it says keep away from heat due to the length of the wires and nature of the engine bay including the engine cover, it is sometimes quite impossible to keep wire totally clear.. So I have decide to use wire looms to help protect the wires, I assume since these are made for protecting wires in a hot engine environment they should do some good. I am just using some stuff I got from Canadian tire for now but I am looking to find something better and intend to tape up the ends nicely to the cable for a better finished look. Some may like colours and such I prefer as stealth as possible

I notice maybe slightly lower idle.... and the tach seems a nit jumpy tho.. more responsive? LOL no idea. I will post some pictures soon, and more after I finalise everything.

btw gordee if ur reading this.. how do i know where this wire anti abrasion ring thing is in the rubber gormet? to pass the ecu wire thru?

*Pics*

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-general-tech-questions/208059-groundinggear-grounding-wires-install-pictures-review.html

Last edited by jdanielsg; 03-10-2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
I found that a couple of wires could have been a tad bit longer so that the wire at the point of the spades joints do not need to be bent too drastically...I will see if Gordee can address that issue.
We are reviewing cable #5 as you suggested to see if the length requires adjustment. If the other '07+ System owners could comment, we could see if it's an isolated or consistent issue. During initial R&D, the wires are lengthed to take most factors into account, however adjustments based on feedback can always be made.

Although it says keep away from heat due to the length of the wires and nature of the engine bay including the engine cover, it is sometimes quite impossible to keep wire totally clear.. So I have decide to use wire looms to help protect the wires, I assume since these are made for protecting wires in a hot engine environment they should do some good.
The wire jackets are designed to withstand the normal heat of the engine bay and should have no problems touching most engine components. The only hot components that may present a problem with direct contact are the exhaust components under the car.

btw gordee if ur reading this.. how do i know where this wire anti abrasion ring thing is in the rubber gormet? to pass the ecu wire thru?
Hopefully the Emails and pics I sent will help with your installation.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Everything pretty much done, put tthe wires in jackets totally and wire tapped the ends of the jackets so I get a consistent look throughout. I am quite the perfectionist LOL this way I know the wires will not undergo undue wear and tear.

I am assuming I managed to get the right ECU point but I will take some pictures soon to make sure.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I installed my 5AT 10 wire kit earlier this week, and I have to say I'm impressed.

I installed the first 7 wires plus the tranny wire, and went for a drive. I felt that the car was smoother, and the shifts were a little more crisp. I didn't really notice that the manumatic was any quicker to change gears though.

The REAL difference came when I installed the ECU and TCU wires. The cat truly felt different.

Since I have an 03, I had to find a replacement screw for the grounding point on the ECU, but the car was apart, and I had no way to get to the store. I decided to put the ECU wire on the alternate grounding point, but still put the TCU wire on the original body/chassis location. I don't think this made any difference because I still felt a noticable change with all of the wires hooked up.

The car shifts about twice as fast in manumatic mode, it's smoother in shifting, downshifting, and in general, the exhaust seems a little louder, and the car is certainly more responsive. I'm not sure if there has been a power gain, but it feels better and better everyday since I've had it on. I did an ECU reset, and the car seems to be adapting well.

Overall, I am very pleased with the product, and Gord was great in terms of answering questions and shipping.

Here are some pics, I have the "cola" color wires:

Name:  GORD-1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  161.0 KB
Name:  GORD-2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  140.9 KB
Name:  GORD-3.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  137.7 KB
Name:  GORD-4.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  118.6 KB
Name:  GORD-5.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  131.0 KB

Thanks Gord! Keep up the great work!

Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Just installed the kit today minus the ECU wire during lunch hour in my company's parking lot. Everything was straight forward. Thanks, Gord, for the pics on where #7 goes. I didn't do the reset as I plan to do the ECU and the cabin filter tomorrow, but I noticed that my brakes were more responsive... the gear shifting was unchanged.

All the wires lengths are perfect.

So I'll see if the ECU wire changes the car's behavior dramatically tomorrow.

Thanks again, Gord.

Last edited by befree112; 03-28-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Alright, I installed the ECU wire and did a reset today. After that, I drove WOT on the near by freeway for about 10 or 15 minutes (was getting like 8mpg for doing this).

Here are my initial impressions:
1. The car definitely pulls harder on each gear I was able to get to (was only able to do WOT up to 3rd gear before I encounter obstacles. 3rd gear was at around 90mph already). This did not happen immediately and it made sense in retrospect that the ECU needed some time to learn.
2. The car was shifting ON TIME when I wanted to change gear at the redline. Shifting response was improved over WOT to reduce better the chances of over revving the engine.
3. Shifting was smooth, no jerking motions. Even though I kind of liked the slight jerking motions before.
4. I was not able to quickly shift from 5th to 3rd like some of the reviews have reported. I was really hoping to get this. But oh well...

A confounding variable to all this is the fact I just reset the ECU. So I'll see if I can retain the seemingly new found torque while getting better mileage at least a week from now. My average MPG is between 21.3 to 21.9 before the Grounding Gears.

I also changed out the in cabin air filter to the charcoal filter. It was a very good investment as well.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
how can i get a hold of these grounding kit for my 03 coupe AT..

also what about my fx35 ? do they make any for my Fx?

Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Whens the next big sale?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by BKZJAYY718
how can i get a hold of these grounding kit for my 03 coupe AT..

also what about my fx35 ? do they make any for my Fx?
A friend of mine got his FX done about 2 years ago. I think there's also feedback on his website http://groundinggear.com/
Just PM Gord to be sure. He also provides us forum members with special pricing on an on-going basis!

Old 03-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Grounding Kit Installed in G37 5AT

Gordee asked me to post over here about my 08 G37 kit install. See below!!!!

So last Friday I installed a 10 wire Grounding Gear grounding kit I purchased from Gordee…

I waited a little over a week to post because I wanted to have some time to get a feel for the kit and to be able to give a little more insight as to the differences it made. I have been a big fan of grounding kits for about 4 years now, ever since I put one on an 03 Accord Coupe I owned. The kit I installed on that car was not the same quality as this one and it still made a difference.

Quality:
The kit comes well packaged. It took about a week and a half to get to my house from the day I ordered it. In case you didn’t know, it came from Canada. That’s why it took a little longer than it normally would.

Out of the box:

The overall quality is excellent. Very nice thick (4 gage if I remember correctly) wire with solid copper connectors. All the hardware that you need is included and the instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

Installation:

It took me about 2 hours for the install. That included fishing a wrench on one occasion and a socket on a different occasion from the pan under the engine. Try very hard not to drop stuff. It is a PITA!!! The instructions are good and even running the wire to the ECU behind the glove box was not as hard as I thought it would be. Here are a couple of install pics:

Impressions:
After the installation I did the manual ECU reset. Per the instructions I then took it for a “spirited” 15 minute drive. It wasn’t too spirited because I did not have any real open spaces to run off to… Mostly neighborhood stuff so I didn’t go too crazy, I didn’t want a ticket or anything.
There was definitely a difference. The most noticeable the first night was the smoother shifting. Over the following week I got to really appreciate what a difference in shifting there is. Shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd are smooth now in D mode and smooth but quicker in DS or manual mode. I don’t get those hard shifts like I did before, it’s really pretty nice. The throttle response is better as well. Press the gas and you go, no hesitation. I can really tell the difference just revving the car in neutral in my garage. Very nice! The ECU also reacts quicker to aggressive driving. It is much quicker to respond in both D and DS mode, it is like it keeps up with you better. Get on the gas and it responds and keeps up the pace until you are ready to settle down. It is very nice if you are quickly trying to move through traffic but don’t want to be in manual mode. That is one of the biggest differences besides the smoother shifting. It has also been reported that installing a grounding kit can increase your horsepower. I have not had a chance to dyno my car yet but when I do I will let you know the results.

All in all I would recommend this kit, especially if you drive an AT. There are benefits for those who drive the 6MT and I would still highly recommend it to them as well. If you go to my cardomain page there are additional pictures there.
Thanks Gordee for a great product!!! Count me in as a believer!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gordgee's GroundingGear®