Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Intake + MREV + Headers + HF Cats + Sways (update from previous thread) 05 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2006 | 06:37 PM
|
Obsessive Owner
Intake + MREV + Headers + HF Cats + Sways (update from previous thread) 05 6MT

Cliff Notes for the lazy person: Installed Strup Headers/Crawford HF cats/Stillen sway bars. Already had MREV and intake. Headers/cats greatly improved torque in low-mid range. They greatly increased sound volume and made it a little deeper (OEM rear section). Stillen sway bars gave a huge improvement in handling and cornering, I could take turns much faster and feel even safer than I did with the the OEM sways at lower speeds.

Well guys I have had my MREV and intake installed for a few months now with the Strup headers, crawford HF cats, and stillen sways sitting in the basement. I have discussed this on the forum before, and promised an update when I installed these parts. I finally got the headers/cats/sways installed today and just picked up my car. I got in it and right upon start up I noticed the difference in sound. I let her warm up a little and took her for a spin. I drove down some roads yesterday pretty aggresivly to see how it performed. I drove down the same roads today (straight away and curvy). The car handled amazingly through the turns, I was going an average of 10 mph faster around the roads than I was yesterday, and I felt like the car could have handled more.

The headers and cats along with the MREV are AMAZING. When you step on the gas in any gear you can hear the air rushing beneath you, it sounds so good. You get the increased air noise of the MREV, and then you get the headers and cats as well. They also HUGELY increased the volume of the stock rear section, it sounds amazing right now. It is perfect for me, anyone who like the stock exhaust note but wants it louder and a little deeper, this is the setup for you! Performance wise, you can certainly feel the increased torque. You can notice a small increase up top, but the low and mid ranges are GREATLY imporved. These mods work AMAZINGLY WELL with eachother.

The only thing I noticed is that when I pulled into the garage the car smelled like it had just been driven extremely hard. Now I did drive hard ofcourse, but I had been driving slowly and not aggresivley for 10 minutes or so before I pulled into the garage. You guys think it might just be the new metal breaking in etc? Doesnt really bother me though, just smells as yuor car might after you do a trip or 2 to 90 mph.

Old 03-21-2006 | 06:41 PM
Rollin On Dubz
I think the smell is normal, they are new metal parts.

Nice write up, damn...i'm so excited to get that stuff on my next car.

What was the price break down for the MREV, Headers, Cats, plus installation?

Thanks a lot Mike!

Old 03-21-2006 | 06:51 PM
You need to post a sound clip, i wanna hear this!

Oh yeah, and you might wanna change ur sig

Old 03-21-2006 | 06:56 PM
THE BATMOBILE
great summary........yea the smell will go away soon.....sound clip asap!!

Old 03-21-2006 | 07:11 PM
The smell is normal especially since you installed everything at the same time. Usually test pipes smell the worst, and then high flow cats. Nice mods by the way, any chance of a dyno soon?

Old 03-21-2006 | 07:14 PM
|
Obsessive Owner
MikeyMike, if I remmeber corrrectly, the COpper ISO MREV Plus was $620, the Headers cost me $480 or so, and the cats cost me $500 or so. The sway bars cost around $230 if I remember, but I got them off of a group buy. The install for the headers, sways, and cats was $360. They cut me a huge deal on the install though because I had a connection. It would normally cost around 500 or 600 for install of all that stuff. The mechanic that did it is also a genius and has worked on a 350z before.

I will make some sound clips as soon as I can.

Sig changed

Old 03-21-2006 | 07:15 PM
|
Obsessive Owner
Dyno should be coming within the next month or two.

Old 03-21-2006 | 07:18 PM
Rollin On Dubz
Wow, you definitely got hooked up on the install price.

Old 03-21-2006 | 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
Good write-up. Glad to read that you are pleased with everything. Hehehe . . . Time to enjoy your G or are you planning on more toys?

Old 03-21-2006 | 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by MikeStarrG35
The install for the headers, sways, and cats was $360. T
i greatly dislike you

you don't want to know how much i'm paying for my install on thursday

Old 03-21-2006 | 08:27 PM
|
Obsessive Owner
Andy, the only thing I have left to install are the headlights I bought. They are painted black, and I am having the inside fiberglassed and repainted to make it smooth. The entire front og my car will be blacked out. Im telling myself I wont buy anything else, but I really feel like an ECU reflash is in order soon

99atlantic, I know I made out well, I was actually surprised as the deal they gave me.

Old 03-21-2006 | 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff Alumni
Sounds good, Mike. Please post some pics when you are done. LOL . . . We all keep telling ourselves that this mod will be the last one. Time will tell . . .

Old 03-21-2006 | 10:52 PM
wow, you beat me with that setup, good that I know now what to expect. Please do post the Dyno!!! I would like to know if you'll be on 270's whp(hope 280's), you'll make more power with UTEC than a reflash and will get at least 15+ more ponies with a good tune with Utec.

Old 03-22-2006 | 11:12 AM
Mike - Any plans to upgrade the Y-pipe?

Old 03-22-2006 | 06:01 PM
sound clip and dyno please,
want to add the HKS hi-power to complete the whole car or some exhaust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake + MREV + Headers + HF Cats + Sways (update from previous thread) 05 6MT