Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Looking for help from nice looking G's in the San Fernando Valley :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 06:07 PM
wj4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for help from nice looking G's in the San Fernando Valley :)

Hey guys and gals. I want to know if anyone local would be interested in a photoshoot. I'm a car hobbyist like you guys here, had an Evo, and now a 335i. From being a car hobbyist, spawned a new hobby..photography. I've always loved the styling of the G's but never have the opportunity of photoshooting one. This upcoming week is the only week during summer that I have off so I would like it of I can get the chance to shoot some nice G's.

I'm looking for G's that are at least lowered with aftermarket wheels. I'm just so tired of shooting my car and my friend's RSX all the time.

Mind you I'm an amateur photographer at best, but I want to keep practicing by shooting and experimenting with different cars. I have a couple locations in mind, but if you have your own as well. I'd prefer to do the shoot at around sunset time, 5-7PM time frame. Let me know who is interested!

Here are a couple pix of what I've shot...

Old 05-27-2007, 09:55 PM
im interested.. wehre are u located

Old 05-28-2007, 03:12 AM
wj4
I am located in Pacoima, CA.

The parking structure shot was taken at a lot at CSUN. The industrial shots were taken around the Chatsworth area. And the parking lot shot with the air vents in the picture was taken at Glendale.

I only know a couple of spots where we can host it..it's hard to find places with nice backgrounds I'm willing to meet up almost anywhere in the SFV area if you have a suggestion on a shoot you'd like to do with your car.

Also it'd be great if you guys can post pictures of your own car so I can know what they look like! Thanks.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm in Torrance but SFV is not far..

Old 05-28-2007, 01:14 PM
WJ4... i have nothing against you,just want to give you a honest thought
base on those pic you posted up top,they looks very average.many members here did take better pics the those by themself,beside there're 2 or 3 guys here in Socal doing what you do and they took amazing pictures.
but nothing wrong with what you trying to do,just keep it up
i hope i did not upset you in any way

Old 05-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by TINMAN
WJ4... i have nothing against you,just want to give you a honest thought
base on those pic you posted up top,they looks very average.many members here did take better pics the those by themself,beside there're 2 or 3 guys here in Socal doing what you do and they took amazing pictures.
but nothing wrong with what you trying to do,just keep it up
i hope i did not upset you in any way
i agree that the pictures are nothing more than mediocre. however, most of us can admire a fellow hobbyist who is trying to improve.

if i was in the area, i'd be more than happy to meet up with you. i too am starting to get into photography. i'm nothing but mediocre myself, but i can appreciate the love for the art.

may i ask what camera are you using?

good luck!

ps - one tip that i have for you...work on your watermark

Old 05-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
One Word: Photoshop.

These pictures are pretty nice, but nothing too outstanding. But if I can make my $200 camera look like a $1000 camera, im sure it can help you out alot.

I would be interested, but im stock with oem 19's; im working on engine & suspension first, then will do looks afterward.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Retired SuperMod
5 minute photoshop:

Nothing big...

Original

Photoshop

Hey, what kind of camera are you using?

Old 05-28-2007, 03:58 PM
wj4
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
5 minute photoshop:

Nothing big...

Original

Photoshop

Thanks for the criticism I know my pictures are nothing wowsing, that is why I want to keep shooting and improving my skills. I am aware of the tricks on Photoshop...and most of these pictures were already PS'd from the start, ie that BMW picture with the fog lights on...I played with the RGB a bit to get that blue tint color.

I used to be a fan of doing a lot of photoshop tricks too, like how you did my picture. Have 2 layers and make the background black and white, while the object in color, or in this case, the background blurry. I am not upset at all. Oh yeah, I am using a Canon Rebel XT..just haven't have a lot of time to play with it yet.

I know there are quite a few outstanding photographers on the car boards, but since they do awesome work, they don't shoot for free..while I am not charging money at all.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
hey I feel your pain I'm learing also bought a canon powersot s3is and I'm still learning and I don't even mess with Photochop. I need to learn how to use both better. My car is still up for photo's if that helps..

Old 05-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by wj4
Thanks for the criticism
Hehe don't take it the wrong way. I hope you see it an helpful criticism, not bashful criticism.

I'm sure Ill need alot of it whenever I decide to get my first dSLR.

Goodluck with the photoshoot, and make sure to post the pictures!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
5 minute photoshop:

Nothing big...

Original

Photoshop

Not a fan of the blurry pics... it makes the car look like a toy. I actually prefer his original than the PS'ed pic. I think the test of a true photographer and his/her skill is the amount of photoshopping needed to get that great photo.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:33 AM
wj4
Another amateur shot of my friend's car going thru a tunnel tonight in L.A.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by Day177017
Not a fan of the blurry pics... it makes the car look like a toy. I actually prefer his original than the PS'ed pic. I think the test of a true photographer and his/her skill is the amount of photoshopping needed to get that great photo.
Well, blurry pics are a part of photography. Large apertures (2.8) will always give you a focus at close range, and blur out everything in the distance.

But a smaller aperture (ie 22) can also be used to make everything crystal clear and sharp.

Both are important.

The reason many people use blur is to focus on the subject, while blurring out anything that interferes with the rythem of the image.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:49 AM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by wj4
Another amateur shot of my friend's car going thru a tunnel tonight in L.A.
you're off to a good start, i too started out by shooting friends cars as often as i could and learned alot just by doing that, now my photo's are going to be in a magazine at the end of july! If you're not already a part of www.photography-on-the.net, i'd suggest you join and read up, there's pages and pages of info that will help you progress in your hobby.

For the motion shots, i like to shoot in Tv mode with the shutter set at 80-125 (whatever you prefer, you'll find out after you shoot at different shutter speeds)

Here's a picture i took over the weekend, keep in mind i was driving 75mph with my knee while taking this picture.

just keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it. I try and use minimal PS (levels, contrast, highlights... no advanced stuff, i only take 2 mins per picture) Let your pictures speak for themselves, not your photoshop skills.
-GP-

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for help from nice looking G's in the San Fernando Valley :)