Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

SOCAL Cops sound testing modified cars on Freeway exits!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Where do you go get a certificate? local CHP?

Old 12-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by in2win

Elaborate on how to get a certificate that you
re talking about. I'd love to have one...even if I put my test pipes on
Pierce College
6201 Winnetka Ave, Woodland Hills, CA

Originally Posted by skaterbasist

The problem with exhausts is not regarding emmisions, its regarding loudness. Sure, it could be well under 95 DB, but according to the law, it's up to the cop's judgement on whether he fines you or not.

If u have the certifcate then there is a 99% chance u will not get cited for a loud exhaust. If they do cite u for it while having the certificate it will get thrown out in court and that citing officer will hear about it.

Originally Posted by UnluckyCharms
Replacing the cats is completely illegal, unless the OEM pieces are broken or damaged. Even if HFCs pass the emissions testing, the pure act of voluntarily changing them out can get you a heavy fine.
Im sure u can get around that. What are they going to do? Go under the car and see kinetix engraved on the cat?
Originally Posted by richie
Where do you go get a certificate? local CHP?
Pierce College

Call the CHP office to get their number.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excessively noisy exhaust systems and mufflers (27150, 27151 VC). Many aftermarket exhaust systems and parts are illegal. Look for parts that meet California law. If it doesn't say it meets the law, it probably doesn't.

Exhaust systems which meet smog requirements but are still too loud. Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.

FOUND IT AT THIS WEB SITE: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html

Old 12-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by 1fstG
Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed.

FOUND IT AT THIS WEB SITE: http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html
Originally Posted by Klubbheads

If u have the certifcate then there is a 99% chance u will not get cited for a loud exhaust. If they do cite u for it while having the certificate it will get thrown out in court and that citing officer will hear about it.
Hope it helps.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
yea.. they were on the 405 at the beach N on ramp for a week last week... saw one on the 22west passed beach this morning too.. i was wondering what they were doing.... sounds like its orange county mostly

Old 12-13-2007, 06:25 PM
Just got off the phone with CHP (LA area) and he said he never heard of such and not all CHP are doing this crack down. He told me the program has to be well funded and approved by the city.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Pierce College
Actually it's any qualified Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) centers. I got mine from Rio Hondo Community College because they have a center there.

As I posted early, here's a step by step guide if anyone wants to know...

Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
i was wondering what they were doing on the freeway Onramps. They target busy areas where cars line up to get on the freeway. All the equipment are low and to the ground, so my guess is emission or noise. Also looks like they have cameras there as well. I don's see any CHP's, so can someone say..."Photo ticket"? I usually try to stay away during rush hours.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by (>")> G35
You should read this:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...=175691&page=2

Be glad they are at least testing before giving you the ticket, saves you the time it takes to get certified. Also the ref told me they don't care what mods you have as long as it's safe they will run your car. I had a non carb legal intake and they said nothing, but they refuse to run a civic that didn't have enough engine oil. With the cops testing might be a different story...

You certainly can cheat the test and get the cert, but I don't want to ruin a good thing.
I'm really, really tempted to go ahead and call and schedule an appointment for testing & a certificate. But I don't have the courage to do so knowing they would smell the fumes emmited by test pipes.

You said you had a Non-Carb Legal intake and they didn't care as long as the car is "safe to drive". Did they actually check your car all around for modifications anyway? Because if they saw your intake, I assume they were looking around the engine bay & underneath the car.

I'm sure my car is well under the legal dB limit. (And maybe even have a chance to pass smog, although my no-cats are very illegal anyhow.)

My question is, if I go and get tested and pass the dB limit, and if they happen to notice I have test pipes, can they do anything about it? If not, then its definately worth my time.

It's just against my instinct to go with a no-cat vehicle to a state referee (or any inspection runned by the state government)

Last edited by Skaterbasist; 12-14-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm not sure why people are going back and forth about whether or not cops have a right to ticket us... I for one am glad this was posted - so THANKS for the heads up!

I don’t drive my car much, but have for the last couple of days, so I'm glad I saw this because I have been very "frisky" with my Osiris re/tweaked tune! In fact a cop was roaming around the streets near Shawn’s shop after about 5-10 minutes of spirited runs getting things dialed in. Looking for me?

Anyway - I was on the 22 W yesterday and didn’t notice anything past Beach?... someone said they are there?

I guess it time to put the GG away for a while and go back to the big bloated F150

Old 12-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree that a cop can basically ruin ur day if they want to or not, even if your car will pass, its in his judgement. If they give you a fix it ticket you will have to get tested and that will waste ur day. Test pipes will never pass the sniffer they put in your exhaust pipe...period. Any dolt can hear if the car has no cats/modified too, its idles like a beast.

I just wanted to give the G' the heads up, so every cop can not pull over the guys in ferrari/lambos etc because they are carb exempt....that reallly pisses me off. Ive driven all those cars when I worked valet at Montage, and it bugs me with how much those guys get away with...11/99 speeding etc. And they do get off scott free 90% of the time.

From a guy himself, I payed $10,000 and they took away my 150 MPH speeding ticket on the 73 and I never got my license taken away or went to jail for the night.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Location: Right there by the uh 91, you know? by the 60? 215? Yea right there.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!
I thankfully passed emissions, smog, and loudness. Got all my certificates at State Ref. And if I get cited, like someone mentioned "it will get thrown out at court".
You are better off just going to state ref to ensure your car loudness meets California Standards (dB). BEFORE you get cited like me. Let's say you don't pass ref...your f'd. Everythings gotta come off.

P.S. Yes they use mirrors and get under ur car to make sure u have a cat.
P.S.S. Did you guys know that gauges are "illegal" as well? They claim they "tamper with emmisions" since we use the lines to feed it off to the gauges (ie. air fuel, boost gauge, which is what I have) They told me to take them off, but I didn't. I said I would. Idiot gave me the certificate on accident, so I had no need to remove them.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:05 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by PlayboyJenna
Thanks for the heads up!
I thankfully passed emissions, smog, and loudness. Got all my certificates at State Ref. And if I get cited, like someone mentioned "it will get thrown out at court".
You are better off just going to state ref to ensure your car loudness meets California Standards (dB). BEFORE you get cited like me. Let's say you don't pass ref...your f'd. Everythings gotta come off.

P.S. Yes they use mirrors and get under ur car to make sure u have a cat.
P.S.S. Did you guys know that gauges are "illegal" as well? They claim they "tamper with emmisions" since we use the lines to feed it off to the gauges (ie. air fuel, boost gauge, which is what I have) They told me to take them off, but I didn't. I said I would. Idiot gave me the certificate on accident, so I had no need to remove them.
Jenna,

Is all of this regarding your trip for a smog check, legal problems with the law, or just for the certification of exhaust dB limit? If they checked for cats during the test for sound limit itself, then I will definitely not be heading out to the state referee for a certificate

Wish I would have known a week ago regarding this certificate BEFORE I installed my test pipes

Old 12-15-2007, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Jenna,

Is all of this regarding your trip for a smog check, legal problems with the law, or just for the certification of exhaust dB limit? If they checked for cats during the test for sound limit itself, then I will definitely not be heading out to the state referee for a certificate

Wish I would have known a week ago regarding this certificate BEFORE I installed my test pipes

they never checked under my car.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Don't get me wrong im not saying u should not look out but a lot of people have this misconception that if they have an exhaust it is automatically illegal. The testing method must NOT exceed more than 4500rpm, they can NOT WOT in standing position.

The smart thing to do is to get a exhaust certificate and not worry about cops stopping u for the sound.
where do i go to get a exhaust certificate?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SOCAL Cops sound testing modified cars on Freeway exits!