Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Infiniti Sedan hits CHP officer in accident on the 405N shoulder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:52 AM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Infiniti Sedan hits CHP officer in accident on the 405N shoulder

I didn't hear about this until this morning when my wife mentioned it to me. Some guy driving an Infiniti Sedan (likely a G, but I guess it could be an M and an I) on the shoulder to avoid traffic hit a stopped officer and 2 other people who were in the stopped car. I hope the officer makes a full recovery.

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_15259774?source=most_viewed

Originally Posted by DailyNews

Northbound 405 freeway reopened after crash, CHP officer remains in critical condition

A California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer writing a ticket in the shoulder of the San Diego (405) Freeway was in critical condition Wednesday after being struck by a driver who was illegally passing up traffic, authorities said.

The 8:35 a.m. accident brought freeway traffic to a standstill and snarled Westside streets for nearly nine hours as authorities shut down the northbound 405 between Venice Boulevard and I-10 to conduct their investigations.

Officer Phillip Ortiz, 52 and a 27-year veteran of the CHP, had pulled over a Honda SUV in the righthand shoulder just before the National Boulevard exit, said Sgt. Mark Garrett of the CHP.

An Infiniti sedan traveling in the shoulder failed to stop and struck the Honda, motorcycle and Ortiz, throwing him against the rear of the SUV and forcing it onto its side at about 8:30 a.m., Garrett said.

Ortiz was rushed to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center after being extricated from the wreck. He is based at the West L.A. CHP office in Culver City, Garrett said. Los Angeles police rushed his wife from Santa Monica to the hospital.

“The family of Officer Ortiz wants the public to know how much they appreciate the community's continued support in the way of prayers and well wishes at this most difficult time,” said a statement released by the hospital. “At the request of the family, no other information is available.”
Eyewitness Jack Reyes told Fox11 News the officer was in cardiac arrest as he was loaded into an ambulance and rushed to the hospital. Paramedics waved off a helicopter to race three miles up the vacant freeway to the medical center.

Two people in the Honda suffered minor injuries and were transported to a local hospital along with the driver of the Infiniti, officials said. His condition was not immediately known.

He “will be a major focus of our investigation,” Garrett said. “At some point our investigators will be interviewing him. After that, they will determine what if any charges may be filed against him.”

Aerial footage showed a mangled CHP motorcycle tangled with the two vehicles at the National offramp, where the 405 approaches the busy Santa Monica (10) Freeway interchange.

The southbound side was reopened about two hours after the accident, but was shut down again just before noon as fire officials landed in a helicopter to conduct an independent investigation.

Northbound traffic was being diverted off the freeway at the Venice Boulevard exit, and cars at the impact scene were asked to exit the freeway by driving the wrong way down onramps.

Traffic jams developed across the Westside, and were aggravated when a Los Angeles police cruiser crashed with a car at Venice and Sepulveda boulevards. No injuries were reported.

The northbound lanes were reopened just before 5 p.m.

Last edited by CandlestickPark; 06-10-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to get to his destination a few minutes sooner. Sadly, this individual, is done. He will most likely be charged with involuntary manslaughter and his life as he knows it is done.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1^ daaang.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
sh|t! pretty crzy!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I heard this yesterday, as others have said "just to save a few minutes" now the guy will have less pressure to be anywhere but the prison showers.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ true that and pray he aint a moded infiniti G sedan or he would got us a bad rep and sherrifs would harra every moded G cause of this Deusche Bag.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I really HATE when I see idiots weaving around traffic. They must feel particularly dumb when they find myself next to me for a second time when I had stayed in the same lane. Freaking idiots.

Hope the sheriff makes it.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It wasnm't me

Old 06-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
such a sad and unnecessary accident. fvcking tool!!

Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by socalwdup
It wasnm't me
guilty! LOL, no one even said anything yet.. hahaha.. but you knew this one was coming....

I applaud you for your change of heart though.... HAHAHhAhAHhAhAHhAa

Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
they move by drive fast waste gas to just end up next to me again and i still have the same amount of gas they sure dont lol..
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
I really HATE when I see idiots weaving around traffic. They must feel particularly dumb when they find myself next to me for a second time when I had stayed in the same lane. Freaking idiots.

Hope the sheriff makes it.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the people in the pulled over Honda sue the police department, claiming that they would not have been injured if they weren't pulled over on the shoulder.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is sad, hopefully he pulls through.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm okay guys!!!!!!

all kiddings aside, this shouldn't have happened. I hope the officer recovers, and the guy's driving priviledges are taken away from him.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
my work is right off the freeway where this happened... it was crazy yesterday.

i didnt know why until i watched the news last night... if was definitely a G sedan... beige ish color

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Sedan hits CHP officer in accident on the 405N shoulder