Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

MAY13th: Fri Night Drag Racing at LACR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAY13th: Fri Night Drag Racing at LACR (G35 Trophy run!)

OK... it's been a while since we've gotten a group G35'rs out for a night of fun at the track.

If you have NEVER drag raced (legal or illegal) don't worry, we'll walk you thru everything you need to know!

1) No helmet, rollbars, 5-point harnesses, firesuits etc... required
2) $15 for driver, $5 for each passenger/spectator
3) The sell food and drink there, but we bring a sack lunch and bottled water!
4) It is best to show up with no more than 1/4 tank of gas.

This is a RUN WHAT YOU GOT night. No worries about winning or losing, just have some fun.

How it works (for the newbies)
We will usually meet up at various locations (according to geography) and then caravan to "Coral Rd. in La Canada, which is a little U-Turn street behind the Shell gas station before heading up the 2 (Angeles Crest):

Be at Coral Rd no later than 4:30pm. Or you will need to get to LACR on your on.

Of course, you can always drive up the 14 to LACR, but traffic can be a killer and nowhere near as fun as driving with your fellow G35'rs thru the Crest!

Once we get to LACR, we pull to the left lanes for Race (the right line is for Spectator parking)

If we get there before 5pm, we sit in line until they wave us in. You pull up to the booth and pay $15 for the driver and $5 per passenger (they will usually ask you if you will be racing at the booth). They will then pass you the waiver forms to sign (you and passenger). Once you pay your $$ they will give you a ticket and a lane map.

Drive forward to the "Tech Line", there are usually two lines. If the booth did not give you one, get an "inspection sheet" from the guys at the front of the lines wearing radios and holding clipboards. It's also a good idea to pop the hood and start cooling your engine.

Fill out the form... you are expecting to run a 15sec 1/4 mile (unless you have run before and know your times, or have FI) Be careful about being too aggressive on your time expectations... you may be forced to have roll-bars, parachutes etc.. if you brag too much! Nobody runs faster in a G/Z than the low 13's, even with FI.

The Tech Guys will take your form, review it, ask you a couple of questions and then look at your engine. We'll be there with you, so no worries! Then they will write a number on your windshield and side window (so remember not to roll down your side window, or the # will be rubbed off)

Then we pull thru and turn right to hit the "pits". Actually it's just a large parking lot with about about 8 "lanes" (see map link below)

After first arriving at the pits we will cool the engines, eat our sack lunch and chill out. When the group (or individual) decides we want to make a run, you pull out form the pit and drive to either lane 5 or 6. The person next to you will be your competition. They will run the lanes 1-4 first (domestics) then drop the chains for us. Watch the guy dropping the chain to tell you when to load out. As you drive past the chain, Lane 5 stages to the far (left) side, while Lane 6 stages to the (right side). Watch & WAIT!! for the guys at the tree to instruct you when to move forward to the water box for a burnout/staging. If you do not have racing slicks, avoid the water box by driving around it....Don't do a burn out. This does nothing for your street tires.

Wait for your competition to burn out or prep to stage. As they pull up, roll slowly until the top "white" light of the tree lights, then creep forward to get the second light. When your neighbor stages, the tree will count down.
orange, orange, orange (GO!!) green ---> yes, you go on the last orange.

Run it all the way down the 1/4 mile to the red line painted on the ground.. if you see a white light off to your side, you won. If not, you probably "red lighted" at the tree, or you are looking at tailights of the competition.

there are two turnouts, if I am in the lead, I usually coast all the way to the second one.. I like to save my brakes. Otherwise, if I am in the right lane, i take the first turnout, and the second if in the left lane. Return is 20mph..exceed that and get booted from LACR!!! (it might even be slower... it's def 5mph in the pits!!)

driving the return, there is a little booth you stop at and they will give you your time slip... just stick your hand out the door and say thanks. Roll back slowly, and head for the pits... NEVER DRIVE THRU another group's pit area!! This is a huge bone of contention between the domestic locals and the "import kids" so let's not go there and be branded inconsiderate.

You can line up again, and wait...they will run all the lanes in order again and your car has time to cool during this. Or you can pit and relax for a while.

repeat as necessary!

Last edited by SoCalTed; 05-07-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Break out & G35Driver Trophy runs

So let's have a little fun this time around!!!

After everyone has had a little time to "dial-in" their car, meaning make runs and get an average time, the track announces the "break out" or trophy competition.

It is free to enter and starts around 7 or 730p. You take your average runs and determine what is the fastest / most consistent time you run and paint that on your passenger window. Then you line up in lane 7 or 8.

You might get pitted against a fully built / full dragster mustang or mopar, grandma's kia, or Uncle Jesse's pick up truck. You just never know.

What is "Break-Out" and/or "Red Light"?
Should a driver go quicker than his/her predetermined E.T. "dial-in" it is a "break-out", you lose the race and are eliminated.

In the case of both vehicles making their runs under their dial-ins, the win goes to the driver who breaks out the least.

Another form of disqualification is a foul start (or "red-light"). This happens when the driver reacts to the "Tree" too quickly and drives away from the starting line before the green "go" signal.

Should dual infractions occur, say a red-light and then a break-out, the red-light would be classified as the worst infraction.

You will know if you win or not when you get your time slip and it says "WIN" under your time.

If you WIN, you stage in lane 7 or 8 again. You keep running until you are eliminated. When it gets down to 2 cars, you are guaranteed a trophy...but will it be 1st or 2nd !! If you made it to the final round, congratulate the other driver and make your run. WIN = 1st place. Both drivers will need to go to the tower (thru the NO ENTRY gate) and pull hard on the door (it sticks). Walk up the stairs and shake the hands and thank the tower guys for the trophy.

======
For Friday May 13th...if there is enough interest, Team Transport will host a trophy run. You must sign up here first, and participate in the LACR Break Out event on Friday night. We will track our top 3 folks who do not "break out" or "red light" -- even though they may lose to another driver. The top 3 from our group will receive a trophy from Team Transport. We want to encourage folks to run against them "big daddies". You can win.. trust me!! It's all about consistency. You could walk away with two trophies next Friday!

Last edited by SoCalTed; 05-07-2005 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Drag racing at LACR Fri May 13th!

====cut and paste===
01. SoCalTed

Old 05-06-2005, 09:35 PM
AHH cmon, i wish i could make it to this one. I got alot of mods done to the car and wanted to take it out. But its all good,

have fun
Ohh by the way, you need a helmet if you faster than 13.99, 12.99 below you need a roll bar, 11.99 and below you need a roll cage.

Those are the facts so if you think your going to be faster than 13.99 you better take a helmet.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Doubt many of our folks will go lower than 14.1 without FI. But we always have a helmet on hand just in case!

Last edited by SoCalTed; 05-09-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:55 AM
update 5/9/05: cross promoted on My350z ... cuz G35driver response has been pathetic. I'm hoping it's just cuz you all were comatose from taking your wives and mommies to Sunday Brunch. Guess we'll wait and see.

====cut and paste===
01. SoCalTed

Old 05-09-2005, 10:04 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
update 5/9/05: cross promoted on My350z ... cuz G35driver response has been pathetic. I'm hoping it's just cuz you all were comatose from taking your wives and mommies to Sunday Brunch. Guess we'll wait and see.

====cut and paste===
01. SoCalTed
02. Randys_G (after all, would it be an LACR event without RANDYS_G?)

Old 05-09-2005, 11:49 AM
I didn't want to reply earlier because I'm not 100% sure that I will be able to go. Still not 100% sure right now... more like 73.5%.

Ted,

If I get my car tinted this week; we'll have to go w/ four in the coupe!!

Old 05-09-2005, 01:30 PM
HOLY CRAP... randy's in the house!

====cut and paste===
01. SoCalTed

Old 05-09-2005, 01:58 PM
Randy how the hell are you going to drive at LACR?

Old 05-09-2005, 02:56 PM
HOLY CRAP... randy's in the house!

====cut and paste===
01. SoCalTed
03. Rever (will confirm)

Randy,
How the hell are ya?

Old 05-09-2005, 11:11 PM
In Search of Magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
====cut and paste===
01. SoCalTed
03. Rever (will confirm)
04. Rob_G35 (With a S2000 or a 350Z)

Hahah Randy I may have to come out and see ya there man. I will try my best.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 PM
would want to come, but cant make it this friday...Besides, I got my 6MT about 2 months ago, and i learned how to drive a manual about...2 months ago...I'm showing up next time to spank some *** though (uh, except for everyone who has a faster car and everyone who has a slower car and knows how to drive it better than i can drive mine)...but other then that, I'm spankin' some ***!!!!

Old 05-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Randy, it was just brought to my attention that you don't live in Cali...how are you going to get to Palmdale (LACR)????? And if you do make it, you are ONE dedicated G driver...

Old 05-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by DanielEshaghian
would want to come, but cant make it this friday...Besides, I got my 6MT about 2 months ago, and i learned how to drive a manual about...2 months ago...I'm showing up next time to spank some *** though (uh, except for everyone who has a faster car and everyone who has a slower car and knows how to drive it better than i can drive mine)...but other then that, I'm spankin' some ***!!!!
Daniel, my little cousin, first off, ill give you a car head start and whoop your behind.

Damn i wish i could make this drag night. Imma be celebrating my bday at a bar. LOL

see you guys next time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MAY13th: Fri Night Drag Racing at LACR