Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

So Cal Dyno Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 01:05 AM
G Kreuzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's too bad ... I missed the event! I had to be somewhere else. I'm glad everyone had fun. Shawn at Church Automotive Testings never disappoints. Props to Tony for setting it up. Sorry, I was hoping to help ya out.

Congrat to AJ (Zazaracing) for making the 280hp dynopack club. That was the car's way of saying "Thank You" ... for taking her to the THX723 track days!

Klumzyee,
Nice bone stock '05 6mt number. Looks like peak power of ~270hp ... about what I would have expected. For reference, bone stock '03 and '04 6mts measured approx. 260hp. BTW ... the green run has a false spike at ~7600rpm (a DynaPack anomaly that happens every now and then). Your best run is the RED and I'll bet that was your 1st pull!

I didn't get to read all the posts nor the time to go back and read them all, but I thought I saw someone mentioned getting 275 ft-lbs. torque from a 5AT. Don't fret about it. That is the AT torque converter slipping upon initial WOT load and should be disregarded.

Last edited by THX723; 07-18-2005 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
It totally cought me off-guard too. It was truly incredible, and I was only standing on the side of the car, not behind it. Whewww, any good dyno run is good if you can walk away from it without blowign your engine...
the sound was unbelieveable...you had to be there to witness that sound...so crazy...

Old 07-18-2005, 02:13 AM
Hey guys,

Great meet! I got to dyno my car and check out other G's/Z's. I was pretty happy with my numbers. My best HP number was on my second run: 259.4 HP/247 TQ. I plugged the numbers I got from the tech into Excel. That way I could overlay the HP & Torque on the same chart. Tony, the files I got were regular space-separated text files. Maybe you can get Shawn to e-mail you the "normal" text files.

I noticed on Klumzyee's HP chart looked very similar to the Z's I saw yesterday. It doesn't have as noticeable a dip around 5000 RPM, pretty much keeps pulling all the way up to redline.

Attached Files
Old 07-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Dynapack Printout

Here's my print out... end of day 3rd gear pull - morning run was 4th gear (not attached) but I think Shawn may have done the first pull on this run in 4th also to see the difference. Otherwise I don't know why the first pull was so low (bottom faint line). Top two are definitely 3rd gear.

TQ is weak! Does anyone have any suggestion to gain torque? (other than torque converter).

Attached Thumbnails So Cal Dyno Day-s-dynapack-3rd-gear-7-16-05.jpg  
Old 07-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
TQ is weak! Does anyone have any suggestion to gain torque? (other than torque converter).
I'm working on a low end mod that should do just that. It should be installed on my ride fairly soon.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I'm working on a low end mod that should do just that. It should be installed on my ride fairly soon.
Okay Tony,
You have my attention. I'm be waiting to hear about it.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35

Be careful with this. A TC will not necessarily gain torque if oy go with a very high stall. TC is a fluid coupler, so the higher the stall, the more slippage the thing will inherently have. If oyu want to make more torque, you will have to make it as low a stall as possible, which would on the other hand kill your launching ability. But yes, at launch, with higher stall TC, you will be able to put more torque to the ground AT LAUNCH ONLY, once yo uare up and moving, there is a net loss of efficiency compared to a lower stall.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Tony,

Have you figured out how to export the Dynapack data as space (or whatever) delimited files with the Dynapack program yet? I can plot the stuff in Excel myself and save you some trouble.

Thanks!

Eldridge

Old 07-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Damn Tony!!! You've always got somethin' up your sleeve!

I'm anxious to know more!

Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Be careful with this. A TC will not necessarily gain torque if oy go with a very high stall. TC is a fluid coupler, so the higher the stall, the more slippage the thing will inherently have. If oyu want to make more torque, you will have to make it as low a stall as possible, which would on the other hand kill your launching ability. But yes, at launch, with higher stall TC, you will be able to put more torque to the ground AT LAUNCH ONLY, once yo uare up and moving, there is a net loss of efficiency compared to a lower stall.
Thanks Gurgen... I'm pretty happy with my launch... mid-range sucks though! Don't get me wrong, it's better than it was stock, and better than pre-recent mods - but like most of us I want more. TQ converter isn't an option, but Tony's new gizmo is in my sights!!!

Old 07-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Hey all, thanks for coming out, it was a pleasure to see some familiar faces and meet so many new owners.

I get to work with a lot of different owner groups and the G35 crowd is among the top 2 or 3 in terms of courtesy, maturity, good attitude and intelligence - IOW, I like working with you guys.

Mike, the lower hp plot was from your earlier 4th gear run. It is interesting to note than on both 5AT cars we tested in 3rd and 4th, the plots were similar in both gears up until about 4.5k-5k where the 4th gear numbers fell off of a cliff. Interesting stuff to be sure.

Rgds,
Shawn Church

Old 07-18-2005, 09:34 PM
Shawn,

I am curious about the difference between 3rd and 4th gear with the autos as well. On my pull it looked like 4th was 5 hp higher from 4k to 5.7k across the board until the drop off at 5.7k.

I want to slap on a different exhaust and then use 1-2 hours of your time on the dyno to try and figure it out. Oh, Clint said to put it on his account. j/k!

Thanks,

Eldridge

Old 07-18-2005, 09:49 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Churchautotest
Hey all, thanks for coming out, it was a pleasure to see some familiar faces and meet so many new owners.

I get to work with a lot of different owner groups and the G35 crowd is among the top 2 or 3 in terms of courtesy, maturity, good attitude and intelligence - IOW, I like working with you guys.

Mike, the lower hp plot was from your earlier 4th gear run. It is interesting to note than on both 5AT cars we tested in 3rd and 4th, the plots were similar in both gears up until about 4.5k-5k where the 4th gear numbers fell off of a cliff. Interesting stuff to be sure.

Rgds,
Shawn Church

Shawn,

Good to see you on the boards, and thanks again for hosting a dyno day.

As you remember, we saw a 10 HP increase in my car going from 4th to 3rd gear when testing Tony's spacer. Maybe next time we should test 2 or more AT cars on the same day to see what kinds of differences are seen between the two gear ratios.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Churchautotest

Rgds,
Shawn Church
Yeah, I thought so... Thanks again Shawn for hosting a great day! The fact that you stayed late in the day to re-dyno a couple of us was appreciated! You guys got a lot of cars through!

BTW, is there anything you can do to help me straighten out my AFR?... It's all over the place. I'm hoping to smooth it out across the entire RMP. If so please shoot me a PM so we can set something up.

Thanks
~Mike

Old 07-19-2005, 01:03 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by eldy
Tony,

Have you figured out how to export the Dynapack data as space (or whatever) delimited files with the Dynapack program yet? I can plot the stuff in Excel myself and save you some trouble.

Thanks!

Eldridge
Hi Eldy,
No, I havn't been able to open them yet. They certaintly won't open as an ascii file and can't be imported into excell. I need to use the disk Shawn gave me to start the process but havn't had a chance to install it yet.

I'll get on it ASAP!
Tony

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So Cal Dyno Day