Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Nissan HQ Moving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan HQ Moving

What does that mean for Carson and us?

Old 11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by eldy
What does that mean for Carson and us?
Nothing,,, just HQ offices and some ppls are moving out of CA...
We just won't see "NISSAN" word on that building while driving 110 freeway anymore.
I heard those buildings are already sold out.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:26 PM
GP1
it means that 1300 people will lose their jobs. Quite a few of these will be high paying jobs. I happen to know of 2 people (close friend and a cousin) in very good positions who will be displaced. This sucks big time, but with the political climate here in Cali, which will be even more negatively affected by the recent election (over spending, increased taxes etc to pay for liberal agenda's) and the tax incentives provided by Tn, it makes sense for Nissan to pull up roots. If I ran a large corporation, I would likely do the same thing

I wouldnt be surprised if Toyota, Hyundai, Yamaha and others take the same route.

Last edited by GP1; 11-10-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:49 PM
What do your friends think about moving to TN?

Old 11-10-2005, 03:07 PM
I heard a lot of people are not going to TN, but instead are resigning and submitting applications to other automotive groups. Nissan is suppose to shut down from in June and start in TN in July.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Sell your house, and be a rich guy in TN! No thanks, that sucks. Cali is the place to be for guys like us, why would anyone want to live anywhere else? But it is hard on big business. My company may move to Chicago when our lease on our building runs out I will never live there, even if I have to clean all the G's windows with newspaper...

Old 11-11-2005, 12:11 AM
GP1
moving to TN for my buddy and my cousin is not an option.

Augy, are you sure they are resigning? I would hope that Nissan would have the decency to offer these people severance packages if they stick around till the end. The last company I worked for that closed down the office paid severance to everyone who stayed. The severance package got better the longer you stayed. Since most people got 6 months notice of layoff, the deal went something like..1 additonal week per yr of service(on top of the 1 week for each yr of service) of severance if you stayed through month 3 and then an additional 2 weeks of severance if you stayed and turned out the lights.
(I stayed to turn off the lights and did my own termination paper work(btw, it sucks to fire yourself). I hope Nissan execs see this and do the same for their people!!!!

I agree with 1SUPERG. selling the house to be a big fish in a little pond is not my idea of success. But then again, i dont really know what success is, so who am I to judge.

Hey SUPERG, cleaning the G's windows with newspaper isnt a bad thing. It actually works a hellofalot better than paper towels or anything else. Less residue "lint" from the newspapers and it leaves the windows way cleaner.

Eldy, to answer your question on what this means to Carson and the surrounding area.....
even though it may only seem like 1300 jobs, this transaltes into approx 1% of the population of Carson/Torrance/Gardena area. seems small except if the total avg salary was 100,000 (remember that even though there are a lot of 50k jobs, there are also some really big salaries in Torrance), that would be $130,000,000 in salaries paid. Even at only a 8% state tax income rate that turns out to be 1,040,000 in income tax. Add to that the 8.25% these folks pay in sales tax, the jobs they create when they all go to the market, restaurants etc. and it turns into a huge impact on the local economy. There's a gas station (Mobil I think) a few blocks away from the HQ. I bet that guys profits go down dramatically.

(btw, I am not an economist or even an accountant so if my numbers are wrong, please don't blast me)

Last edited by GP1; 11-11-2005 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:46 PM
I heard they aren't planning to leave till next summer according to the LA Times. Sux for the job market in Southern Cali though. I didn't know the car manufacturer market was so volatile.

I just hope they don't move all business operations and manufacturing to Tennessee, because I don't want my GT-R to be built in the states.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ I heard they are moving their production plant to Mexico, just like VW's.^

Old 11-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey SUPERG, cleaning the G's windows with newspaper isnt a bad thing. It actually works a hellofalot better than paper towels or anything else. Less residue "lint" from the newspapers and it leaves the windows way cleaner.

That's how I get my meth money! (I live in Sunland) I park the G then ask to clean peoples windows with newsprint from the trash...

Old 11-11-2005, 09:30 PM
My opinions and experience:

Nissan leaving California with their good paying jobs is just one of many major companies that have been doing so since the 90's.

The effect of Nissan's move on the employees is often traumatic. Finding a job that pays equally well is difficult most of the time. (Been there – done that.) I believe the effects will be felt in the Gardena, Carson, Torrance and surrounding area for quite a while. They’ll be fewer people with the money to spend on the extras… new cars, good restaurants, etc.

Historically the good jobs that leave the high tax, anti-business, high welfare states aren't replaced by equally high quality jobs. California is no exception.

California has been and is losing rich and upper middle income folks at an alarming rate. High income people (millionaires) can choose where they pay their taxes. They’re leaving and being replaced by low tax or no tax people.

According to a job growth forecast I saw when working with a local collage, the “growth” jobs in California for 2000-2010 are, paralegals, social service workers, medical service workers, restaurant service workers, retails sales, etc. There were no high tech, manufacturing or professional jobs on the list.

As for taxes, how many here consider themselves rich? For those making $40,346 /year or more rest assured you are rich --in the top 9.3% tax bracket—at least according to California. Check out this link and note the personal exemptions. There are also surcharges for the really rich.

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.html

One last question, how many have lived and worked somewhere else besides California?

DaveO