TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Can't fill tank all the way??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this happened to me today!!! (ive had my G for 1 week)
I got pretty damn frustated, I enden up pulling the nozzle really far out, and lightly holding the handle down to pour really slow, and then gradually squeezed it harder and put it in deeper (hahahh that sounds REAL dirty!!!)

Old 12-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matthew121
I got pretty damn frustated, I enden up pulling the nozzle really far out, and lightly holding the handle down to pour really slow, and then gradually squeezed it harder and put it in deeper (hahahh that sounds REAL dirty!!!)
hahaha

Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Matthew121
Yeah, thats how mine started. After I took it to the dealership, it would only take a 1/2 tank before over-flowing. It didn't matter how deep I penetrated or whether I teased the opening with the tip - it would not take it. If she was my GF, I'd dump'er!

The dealership has suggested replacing the tank, but would like to play around with the vacuum hoses etc before doing so. I'm going to suggest replacing both sending units. Its cheaper than a new tank!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Asao
I took my car in for this problem after 3 failed attempts (different gas stations) at filling my tank all the way.

The service advisor told me they could not duplicate the problem. He said that it could be a problem with the fill rate of the stations I fill at. The pressure of the pumps I used are too high causing the valve to shut early. So I asked if I was supposed to not hold the trigger all the way when I fill. He said no and that the stations need to adjust the pressure on the pumps...

Anyone heard of this before?

My dealership won't do any TSB work unless they can duplicate the problem.
Same garbage they told me, so annoying. I have resorted to waiting until gas spills out to know its full. Ridiculous!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Blah, well after having my car for 6 months my car starts having this issue. The last 3 fillups, first 2x it got about 1/8th from full, this time 1/4th from full .

I have a question about warranty stuff, is it covered under the basic warranty? I have an '03 which just started the problem almost right AT 60,000mi

Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 PM
so is there a recall for this?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is from ERKLEP. So after countless headaches and numerous calls with infiniti/nissan tech line, after all the hours spent looking at the fsm and and all the time ive wasted and my co-workers have wasted, i finally found my issue. seeing as i had replaced and checked every single piece of the evap and fuel system except the filler neck, i decided to remove it and just take a glance. all looked well so i went over to the sink and filled it up with water and water dumped right back out. i knew that couldnt possibly be the problem. so i think to myself, "the issue must lie between the neck and the tank." all that is between the two is an 18 inch piece of rubber that goes above the subframe... ah what the hell. so i pull it down and take that over to the sink, fill it with water and what do you know? it doesnt pass through! i tried to fish a coathanger through, nothing. so i cut the hose open and find that the hose has a bladder liner inside that has collapsed. not visable from the outside but once i cut it open you can clearly see the blockage that was causing the pump to click off. what kills me is that this hose has been checked over and over and over and each time, overlooked. only b/c we were testing it with air pressure every time. the air would pass through and push the collapsed wall to the side, but it would not allow any liquid to pass by.

https://g35driver.com/forums/general...ssues-yet.html

Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I've replaced both sending units on my 2003 G355 Sedan and still no relief. The tank fills to capacity, but the fuel gage reads 1/2 tank. The dealer is guessing the instrument panel needs to be replaced, a $1,300 job. I'm inclined to use my odometer instead until I trade it in.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 PM
There's a thread in nicoclub under the 350z section regarding a VERY similar problem.
One guy had his fixed by the dealer by replacing the shutter valve
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothrea...tank-half-full

Old 06-30-2009, 05:55 PM
Evap vent sticking/shutter valve. Common, and not just to our cars, many makes.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Ahhhh, this just happened to me a few days ago!!! I can't fill over for more than 8 gallons!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:51 AM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Yes this is a common issue with our G's.
Talk to the dealer and I'm sure he'll know about the splash-back valve at the bottom of the filler neck that becomes faulty and sticks closed.
G/L
C.

Wow! Fantastic post. Love it ^^

Last edited by InTgr8r; 11-05-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: offsite links
Old 11-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm getting about 12 gallons into the car; this morning I could only get a 1/4 tank in at a time, various gas stations on my commute. I called my Infiniti Dealer, they said they did the recall in May of 2006 and it's probably a separate issue. I have mechanic friends, I'm thinking I'm going to let Infiniti look at it tomorrow morning but ultimately let my buddy handle it.
My question, after reading all this is, "Where should my mechanic start?"

Evap vent sticking/shutter valve?
The rubber hose between the valve and the tank with the collapsed wall? Anything would help as it's just annoying to deal with.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know it is so aggravating, I finally took my G in once they issued the TSB for it. Hope it works out for you.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 coupe here. add me to the f'ing list.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Can't fill tank all the way??