TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Fuel tank shutter valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel tank shutter valve

ok, so i know there's a TSB about this, but I've brought my G to the dealership 3 times in a last 2 weeks about this. every now and then when i would go to fill up at a gas station, the pump would shut off at about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. it wasn't all the time, but enough to annoy me. so i decided to bring it in the dealership.

1st time: go to the dealership and let them know the problem and they say no problem and "fix" it. dealership tells me they replaced the shutter valve which was defective (see TSB). after i get my car back i go right to the gas station (since it was about about 1/4 of a tank) and fill up. i put 12.7 gallons in and it won't let me pump any more gas. i get in the car and start it up and the gauge goes up to just above 1/2 tank.

2nd time: go back to the dealership. they say it could be something else (don't remember what), but they replace whatever they said was defective. once again my car is at 1/4 tank so i go to the gas station and fill up. once again i put in 12.7 gallons. start up the g and it goes to just above 1/2 tank.

3rd time:
go back to the dealership. they tell me they took the whole thing apart (ie: anything that has to do with the gas tank) so they could verify if the tank as in fact full or not. they said that the tank was full so they put it all back together and the gauge goes up to full tank. problem solved, right? NO!

i just filled up tonight and it's only at 1/2 tank. after the pump stopped at the first station, i went to another one just to make sure. couldn't pump any more gas.

has anyone else had this much trouble with their gas tank and gauge?

Old 04-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, you seem to be having quite a difficult time in resolving the issue. I took my car in for the very same problem after having my car for only a very short period of time. The issue was remedied via the shutter valve TSB. I have not had any problems since that time.

Can you possibly go to another dealership, if one is close by? I hope you get the problem fixed soon. It's a royal pain to have to deal with that.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:49 AM
***update***

so I got my car back a couple of days ago. apparently the first time that I brought my car in and replaced the shutter valve, they some how moved the transfer hose and managed to get it pinched closed. I guess the transfer hose allows the fuel to move between two separate tanks that our G's have. So my fuel gauge was reading one tank full and one empty, averaging them out and coming up with 1/2 a tank. I guess the real test will be when I go to fill up next time.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:13 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

what dealership did u take ur car to? I'm having issues as well with my fuel guage..

Old 05-05-2007, 03:32 AM
Infiniti of Tustin

Old 05-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

wow..I usually go to Tustin dealership for my TSB work. Should I attempt to go there or somewhere else?

Old 05-06-2007, 02:49 AM
don't get me wrong, they were really nice, it just took them a while to figure out what was going on. always made sure i had a loaner and once it didn't work the first time they told me to bring my car in when it was convenient for me. it was a hassle to get it done, but it eventually worked out.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Thumbs down

just filled up again....gauge only went up to half a tank. this sucks...

Old 05-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Originally Posted by Drtybrd61
just filled up again....gauge only went up to half a tank. this sucks...

Sorry Bro... I just got it fixed last week at Tustin Infiniti and they did it right the first time..My guage is back to normal for now .. I was also given the 07 sedan loaner which SUPER fun to drive for a day

Old 05-22-2007, 09:31 PM
***update***

So I picked up my car on Friday. They replaced the entire gas tank. They then took my car to a gas station and it filled up all the way. I have about half a tank right now, so as soon as I get down to about a quarter of a tank I'll fill up and see what happens.

Stay tuned...

Old 06-02-2007, 11:33 PM
wooo hooo!!! everything is working again. I guess it was a faulty gas tank.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i had this same problem when i first got my car. something was wrong with my shutter valve so they kept it for a day and fixed the problem and i havent had issue with it since. im glad to see that its working properly for u now.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Congrats on finally getting it fixed bro

Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Damn thats a lot of trips to and from to the dealer but glad they where able to get it fixed.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Drtybrd61
ok, so i know there's a TSB about this, but I've brought my G to the dealership 3 times in a last 2 weeks about this. every now and then when i would go to fill up at a gas station, the pump would shut off at about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full. it wasn't all the time, but enough to annoy me. so i decided to bring it in the dealership.

1st time: go to the dealership and let them know the problem and they say no problem and "fix" it. dealership tells me they replaced the shutter valve which was defective (see TSB). after i get my car back i go right to the gas station (since it was about about 1/4 of a tank) and fill up. i put 12.7 gallons in and it won't let me pump any more gas. i get in the car and start it up and the gauge goes up to just above 1/2 tank.

2nd time: go back to the dealership. they say it could be something else (don't remember what), but they replace whatever they said was defective. once again my car is at 1/4 tank so i go to the gas station and fill up. once again i put in 12.7 gallons. start up the g and it goes to just above 1/2 tank.

3rd time:
go back to the dealership. they tell me they took the whole thing apart (ie: anything that has to do with the gas tank) so they could verify if the tank as in fact full or not. they said that the tank was full so they put it all back together and the gauge goes up to full tank. problem solved, right? NO!

i just filled up tonight and it's only at 1/2 tank. after the pump stopped at the first station, i went to another one just to make sure. couldn't pump any more gas.

has anyone else had this much trouble with their gas tank and gauge?
I have had my car since 2003, this is now the 3rd time that the shutter valve has been replaced, then the gas tank now has been replaced twice, resistors have also been replaced twice, and something else, but the list is long, iam now car my car in at the dealership and the last time i had it at a dealer it was there after all was said and done for a month, this time since august 24th.
Yes they give you a loaner but this is just a complete pain in the azz.
the car is registered in Texas. now its a dealership in oklahoma city.
What is your take on all of this and how does Inginiti handle buy-backs.
like the g but to many repairs for the same thing! Enough is enough.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel tank shutter valve