TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ I'm going to assume they should. Infiniti is Infiniti sold in North America which includes Canada. The TSB also shows 'copyright Nissan North America, Inc' above the date and below 'Service Bulletin' heading of TSB.

Ask your dealer to pull up the TSB number and see if it appears and/or print a copy of the TSB I posted above and bring with you.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

So I am going in for my 1st OC test in the next few weeks. What is the consensus on aftermarket bolt ons? I have the motordyne spacer and copper plenum, z tube, jwt intake, and stillen duals. Should I remove the motordyne spacer and plenum or are those acceptable? Thanks!
James

Old 08-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by jabrother
Hi,

So I am going in for my 1st OC test in the next few weeks. What is the consensus on aftermarket bolt ons? I have the motordyne spacer and copper plenum, z tube, jwt intake, and stillen duals. Should I remove the motordyne spacer and plenum or are those acceptable? Thanks!
James
it really depends on your dealership. first one i went to they didnt mind until i failed the OC test and then they refused to work on my car. second dealership was very mod friendly and very helpful and after fighting with ICA for 3 months i finally got my new longblock. Mods at the time was intake/spacer/mrev2/engine damper/test pipes/exhaust.

trust me on what i say since i just finish going through what you are about to go through. if you are unsure if your dealership is mod friendly (make sure they are and they arent just saying they are), i would highly recommend you remove at least the spacer and possibly the exhaust. intake isnt such a big thing to dealerships in my experience.

a member told me to remove all my mods and i didnt listen to him and ended up going through 2 different dealerships,8 months of waiting/fighting, 3 OC tests, and just a bunch of bull****.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 AM
6MT Coupe
Tho mine seemed mod friendly, I took everything off except my cat-back exhaust and Z-tube before OC testing to play it safe. My dealer had no issues about my exhaust and Z-tube with my replacement. I probably could have left my pop chrgr on too, but went back to stock air box/filter during all that.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Well I just measured the oil level myself and after 2000 miles I'm down only 5 mm. I don't think that will qualify me but I'll keep watching it. I have 15,000 on it right now. It seems like when it was new it was using more oil and now it seems to be using less. Is that possible that the oil consumption would decrease?
Thanks,
James

Old 08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info to you both, if I have to go back I will remove most of the stuff underhood even though it's a PIA!

Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Tho mine seemed mod friendly, I took everything off except my cat-back exhaust and Z-tube before OC testing to play it safe. My dealer had no issues about my exhaust and Z-tube with my replacement. I probably could have left my pop chrgr on too, but went back to stock air box/filter during all that.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:58 AM
So I just read the TSB page for page and saw that if you return it at say 1400miles instead of 1000 if you burn 8mm in 1400 miles you are qualified for the engine still, and if you return it with 7mm in 1000miles you wouldnt be qualified? So it seems to make more sense to return it in 1400 miles? I'm saying 1400 just so you don't go over 1500mile mark by accident.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by jabrother
Well I just measured the oil level myself and after 2000 miles I'm down only 5 mm. I don't think that will qualify me but I'll keep watching it. I have 15,000 on it right now. It seems like when it was new it was using more oil and now it seems to be using less. Is that possible that the oil consumption would decrease?
Thanks,
James
Heard many different OC rates over the years with these orginals and replacements. Some can take up to ~15K-18K to be completely 100% broken in, so seeing OC improvement during those miles is very possible and normal imo.

I've also seen UOA's (used oil analysis) that proves that as well, when they're not proven failures like my original VQ, which never improved since day one through 28K and finally replaced. Your consumtion in comparision is very good with these revup's.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by BrocksG
So I just read the TSB page for page and saw that if you return it at say 1400miles instead of 1000 if you burn 8mm in 1400 miles you are qualified for the engine still, and if you return it with 7mm in 1000miles you wouldnt be qualified? So it seems to make more sense to return it in 1400 miles? I'm saying 1400 just so you don't go over 1500mile mark by accident.
That is the honest way to play smart with-in TSB guidelines. That's how I did it

-edit-
And to further elaborate on that strategy (after I was played by dealer twice...long story ), returned when I was an obvious qt down and with-in the mileage column that would benefit me for approval. TSB also states customer can return within any mileage up to 3750 I think. That's how I played their game smarter than their game against me. Dealer wanted me back every 1K, I finally ignored that and came back when it was to my advantage. No where in TSB it states every 1K must return during testing.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 08-04-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
That is the honest way to play smart with-in TSB guidelines. That's how I did it

-edit-
And to further elaborate on that strategy (after I was played by dealer twice), returned when I was an obvious qt down and with-in the mileage column that would benefit me for approval. TSB also states customer can return any mileage up to 3750 I think. That's how I played their game smarter than their game against me. Dealer wanted me back every 1K, I finally ignored that and came back when it was to my advantage. No where in TSB it states every 1K must return during testing.
;D

Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 AM
6MT Coupe
^ Dealer got owned fair and square

Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well so far so good for me, I just got the car on saturday, the dealer changed the oil before i got it. I drove 500 miles home and roughly 500+ since, Oil level is right where it should be, I am gonna monitor my first 3k to be sure.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by G35-Jat
Well so far so good for me, I just got the car on saturday, the dealer changed the oil before i got it. I drove 500 miles home and roughly 500+ since, Oil level is right where it should be, I am gonna monitor my first 3k to be sure.

Good luck to the rest of you.
dang you live far from your dealership

Old 08-11-2008, 03:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrocksG
dang you live far from your dealership
Hah, no I am actually only 20 miles from my closest infiniti dealer. I had a long trip home as I went out of my way to buy the car.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
1 Day Oc Test!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you all had such problems going through the OC tests. I got approved yesterday for my V2.

Here's how it happened: I had an appointment at the dealer after work yesterday for a regular oil change. When I start my car for work in the morning it initially sounds fine. I let it warm up and when the revs dropped to below 1400 I hear CLACK CLACK CLAKITTTY CLACK CLACK coming from my engine. I mean this thing sounds like a diesel truck. I call the dealer and ask to cancel my later appointment, I want to bring the G in now and have them look at it. The guy says ok, but the sound is probably just normal valve chatter (which I knew it wasn't). Got to the dealership without incident and the tech says he is going to check the car out and for me to wait. Five to ten minutes later he comes in and asks me a few questions. "Did you buy the car used?" Yes, about 4000mi ago. "Have you had it serviced since you bought it?" Yes, you can pull it up on your computer. "Do you have service records from the previous owner showing oil changes?" Umm, no. Then he says you're oil level is low. I say ok, I'm aware of a TSB related to oil consumption, is this the same problem? He says yup, now you're getting a new engine. That's it, no tests at all. I guess the engine was so shot they wouldn't let me leave without a new one. Got confirmation this morning that the engine just shipped and should be here in two days. Too bad I will be out of the country for the next five weeks.

One quick question, my clutch feels fine to me. Any chance they would need to replace clutch/fw when they do the engine swap? And if so, that should be covered under warrenty, right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB