TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Just got my UOA results....My V2 is doing great internally and shows signs of a good build so far, very little wear and expected fuel dilute for an engine still breaking in. Lab says I can safely step it up a notch on being more aggressive with it, but don't go crazy on rpm's yet. w00t w00t...think I've got a winner. UOA's are your friend folks!!
Congrats

+1000 on UOA' from Dyson Labs

Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Haiii!!!

Hello, i've been lurking in this forum for a little bit, because i'd like to get a 05/06 G35x sometime in the near future (or even next summer if my max holds up until then!). I must say that i've been reading up on all the issues associated with the car, and i'm very dissapointed to see all the OC issues with an otherwise great car.

It seems that OC has been known to plague non-rev up VQs as well.

My question is:
Were/Are there any 05/06 X owners experiencing OC problems?

I'd certainly hate to fork over $20-21K for a car, and have the engine replacement fiasco!!!

Thank You!!!!<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Old 09-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V2 Installed!!!!!

V35 good to hear that your V2 is doing well and I hope mine will follow your tracks...

Well first off, thanks to the forum and the members that provided these valuable information regarding the OC issues and without the driver I prolly would've just add oil or lose the argument with the stealership with the replacement.

Here's my contribution and update to the forums...My last OC didn't pass, it was 1K and the level was 12mm . So the dealer without any hesitation said they would order my replacement--I will give them props at this. I also didn't have to argue this time like before, but this time I was dealing with the manager.

So I picked up the car this week and after driving two days I really didn't notice any difference or noticeable sluggishness on the car, I know it's too early to tell. However, I noticed that the car is quieter especially in the low RPMs compared to before where it would have all kinds of subtle clanks or pings--for the first time it actually sounds like a normal car! So far so good and so far I'm very satisfied with the replacement. As soon as I rack up some miles I will definitely update the forum.

Now the questions:
(1) Does the replacement came with a special oil? If so, should I run this oil after 1k then oil change or run it to 3k? Because I noticed that on the dipstick you can barely see it...at first I thought there's no more oil after 10miles but when I touched it, it was on full.

(2) Any tips on the break-in period? So far Ive been easy on the pedal and shifting below 4RPM. (btw, this is the most painful)...how many miles should I keep driving this way???

(3) And finally, is the long block the entire engine or just the bottom half?

Again Thanks all!!!

Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Hope yours follows my tracks as well. Congrats on getting your V2.

V2's come dry with no special oil that I know of. My dealer put in what they normally use...Castrol GTX 5w-30. My oil is always hard to see right after oil services.

Break-in: Can't disclose what I did publicly (professionals proprietorship method). Read many methods used with no rhyme or reason to reported related success/failures. Very weird. Key for now though imo, stay under 4k rpm and vary rpms, maybe romp just a little a few times then no more. What I can say is, I kept my V2 under 4K rpm 99% of time for the first 3750 miles (yes very painful to do). 1200mi as manual states imo, is not done with break-in period yet.

I did many oil services during my first 3750 miles to flush build contaminants out of engine. What oil looked like first two times was whoa...glad that's outta there.

Professional UOA's are your friend I use: http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

Here's what my bare long-block looked like. Picture worth a thousand words.

Short blocks are only the bottom half.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Beautiful. I went to the dealer today to start the "Oil Consumption Test" as the paperwork said on it. I have to go back in 500 miles which will be monday. They were really relaxed there, and easy to talk to. Wish me luck, because this thing drinks oil.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by trey99ek
Beautiful. I went to the dealer today to start the "Oil Consumption Test" as the paperwork said on it. I have to go back in 500 miles which will be monday. They were really relaxed there, and easy to talk to. Wish me luck, because this thing drinks oil.
500 miles will do nothing for you. They want you to come back in 500 miles so they can say "see no problem".

TSB tells dealer to check after 1000 and up to 3750. It is customer option on when you come back within that range. If they are telling you 500 you are getting jacked. Go back after 2500 and then you will have results that will actually show if you have a problem or not.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
500 miles will do nothing for you. They want you to come back in 500 miles so they can say "see no problem".

TSB tells dealer to check after 1000 and up to 3750. It is customer option on when you come back within that range. If they are telling you 500 you are getting jacked. Go back after 2500 and then you will have results that will actually show if you have a problem or not.
I know. I have to go back every 500 miles for a few thousand miles.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by trey99ek
I know. I have to go back every 500 miles for a few thousand miles.
No you don't. Read the TSB. Your dealer doesn't get to make up his own rules.

You go back every 500 miles and all they are going to do is top off what little burns in 500 miles when you aren't looking and disqualify you for engine replacement.

You're getting played.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Well I will stand there as he checks it, so I won't let him top it off. I will bring up the 1,000 miles and see what he says. Not really a big deal to me. I take it, he reads it, I drive off.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Just giving you a heads up. They do that **** and smile at you the whole time like they are your best friend. Been there.

I still say the best thing to do is print out the tsb, look at the chart and do your own ruler checks until your mileage and dipstick measurement match to the chart as no good. Then you go back with chart and ruler in hand and insist they validate your findings in your presence and don't let the car out of your sight until they do. There is nothing in the tsb that says you have to come back after 500 miles and it is fully a waste of your time.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:50 AM
I started my OC monitoring after only 300 miles since the last oil change. The dealer told me that it was down 8mm and that they topped it off. They also told me to come back after 500 miles. By my calculations, it will be down over 24mm at the current rate. Should I wait the 1000 miles like the TSB states? I'm afraid there won't be any oil left if I wait that long.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:58 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
Just giving you a heads up. They do that **** and smile at you the whole time like they are your best friend. Been there.

I still say the best thing to do is print out the tsb, look at the chart and do your own ruler checks until your mileage and dipstick measurement match to the chart as no good. Then you go back with chart and ruler in hand and insist they validate your findings in your presence and don't let the car out of your sight until they do. There is nothing in the tsb that says you have to come back after 500 miles and it is fully a waste of your time.
Agree and been there myself and experienced their Chestier Cat smiles

Yeah...one of the revisions made on the TSB from original TSB was they eliminated the OC 0-500 and 501-1000 columns.
I used the TSB to my advantage with my self monitoring. They couldn't play me when I came back at 24mm and my G never left my sight that time so they could top me off again before official OC reading.
Originally Posted by OG_35
I started my OC monitoring after only 300 miles since the last oil change. The dealer told me that it was down 8mm and that they topped it off. They also told me to come back after 500 miles. By my calculations, it will be down over 24mm at the current rate. Should I wait the 1000 miles like the TSB states? I'm afraid there won't be any oil left if I wait that long.
Returning in a 1000 = not that much below 1qt to your OC stated. (~27mm/1000mi) no biggie and will still be on stick.

If you do that and they say test invalid b/c you didn't return like they said to, then ask where on the TSB does it state that. If they song and dance about one not available to show you and that's how it is, then give them your copy...lol. (under your breath...you just got OWNED!! )

Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but read so many stories of how owners have been played, including experiencing my own. Just trying to alleviate any possible dealer BS that might get thrown at you. Read recently on one of these OC threads, about some dealers using a Lucas oil additive while topping off that reduces OC as well as using 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 on services at start of OC testing. Beware and I'd say no to any topping off and/or watch them like a hawk with what they use.

G/L

Old 09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
My dealer admitted to me that mine was down 8mm after 300 miles. Did this result not count as one of the three tests I have to prove my engine is burning oil?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:28 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by OG_35
My dealer admitted to me that mine was down 8mm after 300 miles. Did this result not count as one of the three tests I have to prove my engine is burning oil?
If it's on your paperwork it counts.

But you really need to read the TSB. 3 tests was the old way before first TSB in Jan 08 was released. Since then, no more 3 test BS. You're getting played.

G/L

Old 09-15-2008, 08:16 PM
So I go to the dealer. Keep in mind I just had the oil changed Saturday.

Dealer: Your back already?
ME: Yeah I had to drive you long island yesterday, it was over 500 miles.
Dealer: Lets have a look.
ME: Sounds good.
Service Tech: looks good, only down about 1mm. You did just get this done saturday right?
ME: yeah i did a lot of driving this weekend.
Service Tech: that is why there is no change, these don't really burn oil at low idle cruising speeds. you need to take it back, drive pretty hard, get on it and then bring it back. also they burn the most oil when you are engine braking. i am not telling you to redline it, but don't take it easy. bring it back and then we will see.

ME: sounds good.

I can't believe they told me to get on it like they did.

Service Manager said they don't foot the bill and it is a known cause. He said if they have proof they will order a replacement right there. I asked him about the 500 miles to check. He said most of the time if it is bad enough, you can tell that soon. He also agreed that with my 500 miles on the highway it should be good. If there were any problems to call him and then bring it in.

Cool guys, I drove it spirited home the 90some miles and it is already lower then when i left the dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB