TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trey99ek...just a suggestion, get a reading on your level before you go in the dealer so you can compare and also this will be an indication they're lying to you if there's discrepancy with your own reading.

This is what I did, I religiously check the oil level and compared it to the reading I got every weekend until I hit 1k miles and took it back to the dealer. I also started mentioning my own reading in "mm" just like the TSBs language.

G/L and dont let them play you.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
^ Hope yours follows my tracks as well. Congrats on getting your V2.

V2's come dry with no special oil that I know of. My dealer put in what they normally use...Castrol GTX 5w-30. My oil is always hard to see right after oil services.

Break-in: Can't disclose what I did publicly (professionals proprietorship method). Read many methods used with no rhyme or reason to reported related success/failures. Very weird. Key for now though imo, stay under 4k rpm and vary rpms, maybe romp just a little a few times then no more. What I can say is, I kept my V2 under 4K rpm 99% of time for the first 3750 miles (yes very painful to do). 1200mi as manual states imo, is not done with break-in period yet.

I did many oil services during my first 3750 miles to flush build contaminants out of engine. What oil looked like first two times was whoa...glad that's outta there.

Professional UOA's are your friend I use: http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

Here's what my bare long-block looked like. Picture worth a thousand words.

Short blocks are only the bottom half.
yeah, definitely worth thousand words..thanks for the pix. This really clears my mind.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by twofst4u
Trey99ek...just a suggestion, get a reading on your level before you go in the dealer so you can compare and also this will be an indication they're lying to you if there's discrepancy with your own reading.

This is what I did, I religiously check the oil level and compared it to the reading I got every weekend until I hit 1k miles and took it back to the dealer. I also started mentioning my own reading in "mm" just like the TSBs language.

G/L and dont let them play you.
Thanks, they were cool. He checked it 3 times right as I was standing there. I also checked it that morning. No real difference. It was down about 1-2mm. He marked a line in the dipstick when he filled it.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so went back today for my second and fully unnecessary test.

It failed the first one at 20mm down at 2100 miles. They topped it off then and told me to come back in another 1000. I knew that was bs and i almost made a scene but I figured screw it. It's bad, it's not going to get better and I am racking up mileage on an engine that will be replaced

Went back today after another 1200 miles. I measured it last night and it was 10mm down. I again insisted the check be done in the staging area and in my sight. They said sure just go wait in the waiting room and they would call me in 15 minutes after it had a chance to drain.

I did so and after about 10 minutes i walk outside to see my hood up. I fully dashed to the car just in time to see a mechanic with a quart of oil ready to pour in. No joke if i would have been 5 seconds later it would have been too late.

I said hey what are you doing? He says topping it off we did the check and it is only down 6mm. I said stop now. At this point the service advisor had heard and came out. He asked the mechanic to stick it again in front of me. Comes out what i knew to be 10 down and says see only 6? I said hold that a second and pulled the ruler I brought with me out and said let's measure..

Ruler up against dipstick, not 6, but 10 or 11. Imagine that.

At that point the advisor agreed and put the real results on the work order: down 20 at 2100 and another 10 at 1200 and said he would call infiniti and let me know.

oddly enough as i was typing this the phone rings and it is infiniti. Engine is on the way and will be here friday. I drop it off Friday morning and they say it will be ready by end of day saturday.

I have to admit i am a little skeptical. That is really quick to get a longblock delivered and a 2 day install seems equally unrealistic.

What do you all think? I'm thinking about a light dremel of my initials on the heads and block to make sure that the car I pick up doesn't have the same longblock it was dropped off with.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ My V2 took ~2 -3 days to get to dealer and 2.5 days to swap with many quality control checks etc. My V2 had ~14miles on it when I picked up. (I noted my odo reading when I dropped it off for swap) They'll drive it a bit after swap for quality control purposes, well mine did.

Good thing you caught that mech before pouring in oil. Who knows what they would've said after that was done and you not knowing. Sounds very familiar to what they got away with on me with adding oil, but saying I was full after 1500mi (I qualified when I left my house in mm's)... (so you want to play hardball eh...let's play ****'s)

Not a bad idea on marking your VQ I guess. When I dropped mine off for swap, I asked to see my V2. Took pictures and noted the engine serial number. When I got my G back, looked at paperwork when I got home and engine serial number listed matched my notes/picture. Plus engine was clean as a whistle like the only one sitting in their shop that day they were starting my swap.

Congrats on getting approved.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 09-18-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: corrected some gammer
Old 09-18-2008, 12:14 PM
where is the serial number located?

Old 09-18-2008, 02:46 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
where is the serial number located?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:19 PM
thanks, found it and noted it.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:22 PM
well it went in yesterday and was supposed to be done today. Infiniti called a couple hours ago. They stripped a couple bolts taking the old engine out and need to get new ones to put the new enigine in. Won't be done now until wednesday.

In the meantime I'm rolling in an 08 g35 sedan. I know they both say G35 but the difference between the 2 cars is huge. The 08 sedan AT is so different from the 06 coupe MT it is hard to believe they share the same model badging.

I do not like the sedan at all. It's fugly, The controls are in the wrong place and it is the quintessential old man car. It couldn't turn a head if it was on fire.

I want my car back.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:24 PM
^^^Congrats..keep us updated.

Here's my update, car is running great (Knock on wood), Im enjoying the V2 so far, even the exhaust note changed a bit and shifting through gears feels a lot better--I hope it's not a placebo effect. But the paranoia of checking the oil level still haunts me...yesterday I checked my oil and 500+ miles so far and the dipstick is still clear and it's nearly impossible to get an oil reading...I'm like WTF .

So today I called the dealer and confirmed to me that they used special oil, i think he mentioned castor oil (not sure of spelling), and he mentioned that this type of oil have been used in new engines and also in new G37's.

Im just curious what this is all about and why other dealers are not using this type of oil or are they? I wonder if this is an obstacle to get a good reading on the dipstick since its very transparent?

Any thoughts???

btw, V2 is opening up real nice and I feel that the low rpm's have a better pull.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:35 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by twofst4u
^^^Congrats..keep us updated.

Here's my update, car is running great (Knock on wood), Im enjoying the V2 so far, even the exhaust note changed a bit and shifting through gears feels a lot better--I hope it's not a placebo effect. But the paranoia of checking the oil level still haunts me...yesterday I checked my oil and 500+ miles so far and the dipstick is still clear and it's nearly impossible to get an oil reading...I'm like WTF .

So today I called the dealer and confirmed to me that they used special oil, i think he mentioned castor oil (not sure of spelling), and he mentioned that this type of oil have been used in new engines and also in new G37's.

Im just curious what this is all about and why other dealers are not using this type of oil or are they? I wonder if this is an obstacle to get a good reading on the dipstick since its very transparent?

Any thoughts???

btw, V2 is opening up real nice and I feel that the low rpm's have a better pull.
Both dealers near me use Castrol GTX 5w-30 or Castrol Syntec 5w-30 all the time with all their normal oil services.
Castrol is not really a special oil. It's just oil like all the others.
And yes just about any 5w-30 oil new will look quite light and transparent. Even my Valvoline 10w-30 DuraBlend does when new.
Give it about 1000-1500mi then it's easier to see on stick.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:11 AM
so i was reading this thread...are the oil consumption problems known in the 03/04 models or just known in the new one...i havent check mine yet since i just bought my 04 g35x yesterday...thinking about calling infiniti tomorrow...bought the car with extended warranty too

Old 09-24-2008, 01:12 AM
Castrol have entered my mind but I could've swore he said "Castor" oil...Anyway, cant be it because I googled it and found out that "Castor" is used on 2 cycle engine and the other uses is for cooking . Yeah, I'll give it another 1k miles...thanks.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 PM
This question may have been asked before but what the hey....this thread is now 25 pages long. Was wondering if anyone decided to have their clutch replaced, and maybe flywheel, while the dealer had the motor out for the swap? Seems like a great time to have it done since they have the entire trans accessible.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:43 PM
of the motors i have done a few people have asked me to put in aftermarket units and a few people have purchased new clutches and flywheels from us generally though people don't want it done they don't care. its not like we charge extra labor to do it everything is apart anyway why not haha.

Yes that motor comes BONE dry, i did one yesterday as a matter of fact, drove it home last night and everythings great there is a differance in how that motor runs comparred to how the old one ran everything does seem a lot smoother. Only thing that pisses me off about that motor is that since its a TSB motor they give you NOTHING on the motor haha, oh well part of the job i guess.

twofst4u, he probably mentioned ESTER OIL, i just did that TSB today on a G37 agian...it fixed it don't use it on a 05-07 coupe/sedan 6mt, not needed.

This new motor does fix the problem in every case i have put one in, i also have had a few customers worried that it wasn't fixed did an oil consumption test over the course of 3750 and everything was good, still used a little tiny bit but its going to. Of course i didn't read this whole thread but oh well. All motors that are that efficent are going to use oil i guess this was already discussed, but the new motor does work very well and uses minimal.

any questions you all have or pictures you want i'm more than happy to provide them for you all. heres one now actually as you can see the trans and engine easily drops out as one entire assembly with the cradle. sorry for the horrible quality it was taken with my blackberry by the guy who works next to me haha.

Name:  IMG00126.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  48.7 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB