TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ckkone
Anyone know if this is covered if you bought the car used, the dealer has no oil change records and you don't have records either? I have an 05 6mt sedan with 45k and I'm worried it has this issue, but I have done all maintenance myself.
Check out my post at the bottom of this page:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...ur-oil-67.html

I got my new VQ five months ago and I bought my '03 coupe used....

Old 10-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
read the tsb flowchart. There is a path they take if they have maintainance records and there is a path they take if they don't. Both paths end up at longblock replacement if the issue is verified.

Warranty is warranty and whether you bought it new or used doesn't matter.

I bought mine used and got my V2 less than a month ago.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Still, if you have no maintenance records or receipts, the factory can try to deny your claim, accusing you of neglect and not taking care of the engine according to factory-provided guidelines. Your best bet is to "find" them, along with your maintenance log.

Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
read the tsb flowchart. There is a path they take if they have maintainance records and there is a path they take if they don't. Both paths end up at longblock replacement if the issue is verified.

Warranty is warranty and whether you bought it new or used doesn't matter.

I bought mine used and got my V2 less than a month ago.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
^ That's very close to what my OC was on my oem VQ.

twofst...I read that TSB for the G37 on that Ester oil recently. Think that's a safe assumption that's what your dealer mentioned. But any advantage for us to use in our VQ35DE's...that I don't know. First I've heard of this oil too. Heard of Ester based oils, but not literally named as such.
V35, one of these threads you mentioned about your consumption during break-in...If you don't mind, would please post it again or direct me to that thread?

Well, Im on 1200mi on the dial and ~12mm low, yes it's consuming but I think this is normal during break-in and I'll give it a few more thousand miles before panicking if it doesn't improve. I'm religiously checking the level every week and also the pinging is back. I think the pinging happens when the oil level is getting low Here's what I'm debating on doing:

1) Should I top it off?

2) Do you guys think 12mm low (halfway mark on the stick bet H-L) will do internal damages to the engine?

3) or just do an oil change now?

Everyone feel free to chime in your consumption at what mileage during break-in...IMO, this will help future V2 owners. Thanks all!!!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:17 PM
I did my 1st oil change at 100 miles and it was surprisingly filthy. I just hit a little over 1000 and I am down about 10mm.

I am doing my second oil change in the morning.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Yea...I changed mine a lot during break-in.

Going going off memory on oil servicing:
Soon as I got home...
Change oil @ 75mi (very metallic looking, milky at beginning of drain) OC ?
@~500mi (still somewhat metallic, but much less). OC = 4mm in 425mi
@1750mi (oil looked normal). OC = 8mm in 1200mi.
@ 3750mi (looked normal). OC = 8mm in 2000mi.
My first total 3750mi was a total of 20mm down, but was seeing improvement at each oil interval.

Running it at 12mm down is not damaging anything imo. Don't run it under a qt low though...

-edit-
Just checked my level this AM...
From 3750 to 5700mi on V2 = again 8mm down @ ~2000mi. Hmmm, this might be where it stays on OC...no apparent further improvement. Just drove over 350mi with lots of twisties from a recent get-away and was not driven in Granny mode lol.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-25-2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added recent OC usage
Old 10-26-2008, 02:08 PM
^^^8mm at 2k-3k sounds good to me. I can live with that. Thanks for posting your records.

I checked again this morning and with the natural light for accurate reading, the level is actually ~8-10mm--now at 1253miles vs. my previous measurement at over than 12mm.

I made up my mind and oil change would be my best bet at this point, since a lot of you guys did an immediate oil change to flush out the Filth.

LoL, I'm also slowly cutting out granny mode (with care of course) .

Last edited by twofst4u; 10-26-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:02 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by twofst4u
^^^8mm at 2k-3k sounds good to me. I can live with that. Thanks for posting your records.

I checked again this morning and with the natural light for accurate reading, the level is actually ~8-10mm--now at 1253miles vs. my previous measurement at over than 12mm.

I made up my mind and oil change would be my best bet at this point, since a lot of you guys did an immediate oil change to flush out the Filth.

LoL, I'm also slowly cutting out granny mode (with care of course) .
I can live with that OC too I suppose if no further improvement; was hoping for better though. When I switch to 100% Synth, my usual intervals are 5K. So that would mean ~20mm down every service interval. Better than it was with my OEM VQ lol. Plus know these revup VQ's drink a bit more under spirited conditions. They always have and always will.

I did an UOA on my oil last service. Metallurgy and build seems good internally. I got the green light then to romp on it a bit after analysis, but nothing extreme...yet

I highly suggest to all members with this TSB replacement to do the same.
Here's the lab I use: www.dysonanalysis.com A+++ service. Terry will take very good care of you regarding your VQ.

Even with 3750mi on my replacement on that UOA, it's still in the break-in cycle. Raw numbers do not lie. Factory states 1200mi for break-in period...not true.

Alright peeps...will update when I finish my service interval. VQ will have 7500mi at that time. On to a detonation issue I'm having where I'll be concentrating 95% of my time on. OC not so much anymore.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:46 AM
so I have to change the engine ? how much does that cost ?

I just changed my oil today and the old oil there wasn't alot maybe 1L .....

I'm getting tired of this car, just fixed the compression rod problem .. and now I gotta change the engine?

It's getting expensive

Old 11-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by GoDaddy
so I have to change the engine ? how much does that cost ?

It's getting expensive

$10K

Old 11-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So I think I'm probably within the TSB range to qualify, at 26k burning about 1qt syntec every 6-7 wks. But what exactly is the downside to just ignoring this issue? Does the problem get worse and /or the rings completely fail?

Till I saw the TSB and some of the OC threads, I just assumed it was normal consumption for my semi/hard driving , high-rev driving style. I haven't noticed any loss of compression, engine noises, or other performance isuess.
I check oil levels regularly and have no problem adding a qt betwwen oil changes, although that dipstick is a real PITA. And I'm really not looking
forward to demoding (hi flow cats/ mrev2) to qualify under warranty.

I think my plan will be to watch and wait (unless someone can convince me otherwise). I've got 40k + warranty miles left to work with. And I'm going to definetly do my own TSB style OC eval and quantitate my exact usage (mm/mile). Also has anyone gone back to dino and had this problem go away (sorry havent read all threads yet)?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:56 PM
6MT Coupe
^ My OC didn't get any worse in it's 28K miles of OC life since day one new, but that was my oem VQ.
Dino, Synth...mine burned basically same amount regardless what oil I used.

-edit-
PM sent

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 11-08-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Sent PM....
Old 11-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by penelson
So I think I'm probably within the TSB range to qualify, at 26k burning about 1qt syntec every 6-7 wks. But what exactly is the downside to just ignoring this issue? Does the problem get worse and /or the rings completely fail?

Till I saw the TSB and some of the OC threads, I just assumed it was normal consumption for my semi/hard driving , high-rev driving style. I haven't noticed any loss of compression, engine noises, or other performance isuess.
I check oil levels regularly and have no problem adding a qt betwwen oil changes, although that dipstick is a real PITA. And I'm really not looking
forward to demoding (hi flow cats/ mrev2) to qualify under warranty.

I think my plan will be to watch and wait (unless someone can convince me otherwise). I've got 40k + warranty miles left to work with. And I'm going to definetly do my own TSB style OC eval and quantitate my exact usage (mm/mile). Also has anyone gone back to dino and had this problem go away (sorry havent read all threads yet)?
my oil consumption is almost identical to yours.

Definitely start an oil consumption test to get it on record so you have proof that the problem exists....I don't think you have to accept the replacement engine immediately...

I might wait it out for a while for the replacement engine as well.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Oil Consumption

It seems as though my coupe is going through OC. I have read that others are having the same problem. I have also read that some people have had their engine replaced by Infiniti. How did that happen? How long did it take you to get them to do so?

WWGIRL

Old 11-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Ok, i am fresh on this issue.
About a month ago i brought my car in i told them the car is burning oil at a slow rate. i had the oil changed at the dealership and they said bring it back in 1000 miles. so here i am today. i brought it back at 1500 miles instead of 1000 miles and it didnt matter. when i brought it in today i mentioned that it seemed to be Pinging or Knocking even when i use premium (i have even tried octane booster) they said its prolly due to OC. so they tested it and just called me. they said they ordered me a new engine and they will replace it when i come back from college for winter break in three weeks(to answer an earlier question, you dont have to accept the new engine immediately you can set an appointment for later date.) they also told me that they determined that the pinging IS due to OC apparently the oil gets past the piston into the cylinder and slightly dilutes the gas....? sounds weird but ill accept what ever they are telling me as long as they replace the engine. they said it takes like 3-4 days to replace the engine......so i am pretty pumped my car has 20,000 miles but now im getting a new engine at 0 miles, that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. my suggestion to anyone wondering about OC, have the test done, when you come back after 1000 miles mention to them that you hear wierd pinging noises if you do, because is mentioned in the TSB and they will probably look more closely into it and decide to change the engine even if you are in the normal range.

note: when i checked the dipstick at 1000 miles for myself i was about 4/10ths of the way down not even 1/2 so you dont have to be using very much to get a replacement engine!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB