TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ True that. Neutral expressions, pleasant and strictly business after I got played.
They saw in my eyes that I knew they were full of it lol

Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"we'll pull it around back and check it and let you know"

"you're going to keep the car out here in the staging area so I can observe all testing and topping off. Anybody have a problem with that?"

"no sir"

"thanks"

Never forget who owns the car.

Last edited by PTownG; 01-14-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EncoreCestMoi
I was Mr Congeniality until they tried to cheat. After that, not so much.
Well here are the results. I had 1100 miles on consumption test at the dealer today. I checked it the other day and it was just about halfway down the hatch marks, so that should be ~1/2 quart down. They took the car for about 20 minutes and came back and said it was "just below full" and wrote that on the ticket too. I should have aked to see the dipstick with the tech as some of you mentioned but I was afraid of them being suspicious or pissed off. So they said that's pretty normal for it to be "slightly down" but they said to come back in 1000 miles again for another test. They did not top it off and it remains about at the halfway mark. I don't trust this dealership (Fresno) and am tempted to drive down to LA to get other results. But the fact that they want to continue the test makes me think if they see consistent results they will authorize replacement. What do you all think?

The other possibility is they are trying to get me to rack up more miles. I would really rather park the car and drive my daily ('96 240sx with 230k) instead of putting all the miles on the G. But now it sounds like I'm going to have to put on another 2000 miles (and they may not authorize).

The service writer also made a lame comment about my oil change intervals (~5000 miles) not being within recommended spec.

Oh and they made some little drawing of the dipstick on the inhouse ticket showing it was very close to the top!

Thanks,
James

Old 01-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jabrother
Well here are the results. I had 1100 miles on consumption test at the dealer today. I checked it the other day and it was just about halfway down the hatch marks, so that should be ~1/2 quart down. They took the car for about 20 minutes and came back and said it was "just below full" and wrote that on the ticket too. I should have aked to see the dipstick with the tech as some of you mentioned but I was afraid of them being suspicious or pissed off. So they said that's pretty normal for it to be "slightly down" but they said to come back in 1000 miles again for another test. They did not top it off and it remains about at the halfway mark. I don't trust this dealership (Fresno) and am tempted to drive down to LA to get other results. But the fact that they want to continue the test makes me think if they see consistent results they will authorize replacement. What do you all think?

The other possibility is they are trying to get me to rack up more miles. I would really rather park the car and drive my daily ('96 240sx with 230k) instead of putting all the miles on the G. But now it sounds like I'm going to have to put on another 2000 miles (and they may not authorize).

The service writer also made a lame comment about my oil change intervals (~5000 miles) not being within recommended spec.

Oh and they made some little drawing of the dipstick on the inhouse ticket showing it was very close to the top!

Thanks,
James
^^^ thats the problem right there james! you shoulda been w/ the tech when they measured it. Its your car anyways

Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 AM
6MT Coupe

Thanks,
James
Us owners know better according to our maintenance shed manual guidlines.
Mine states 7500mi under normal op. 3750 for Premium and/or severe lol.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Princess_Jen
BS.. I had the same problem a month ago. This is what you need to do..

The dealer will try to pull that crap off bc they dont want to pay 9000 to put a new motor in your car. They first wanted all maint records from me.. then they told me it was my aftermarket intake/spacer (what does intake or spacer have to do with oil consumption was my ? ) . Then it was how I drove the car. What you need to do is throw a scene at the dealer. They will try to do anything they can to save them money.. Go in there and tell them you got warranty for a reason and they should know oil consumption is a VERY big issues w their Rev up motors and that its not your fault they cant build an engine right. If you need to try ask to talk to dir of service dept. I was going around and around w them for a month while my car just sat there in their shop before I went off and they agreed 2 do it. After that I had a new engine ordered and installed in my car within 2 days.
Perhaps that worked for you and glad it did for your behalf.

I prefer to out wit them and beat their unprofessional games with knowledge and TSB facts, while staying cool headed, but that's just me....

Plus they still need to do the VQ swap. I wouldn't want anyone pissed off there while working on my G and me be known prior as an angry customer who blows their top...

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 01-15-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added 'who blows their top'
Old 01-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the great info. I'll let you know how this plays out!!

James

07 Lakeshore 6mt, Motordyne spacer & plenum, jwt intake w/aem filter, ztube, stillen true duals, stillen sways.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 PM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Princess_Jen
Well it worked out great for me.. How long have u had oil consumption now? Still waiting for a new motor?

When I went in, they didnt think I would know anything about cars since im a girl and started giving me all kind of bs. First they blamed my intake for oil consumption. Wtf? Then they wanted maint records.. and to do an oil change and test my car every few thousand miles.. i started arguing w the advisor that my car is knocking and i dont have a year for them to fix it.

After a lil talk w the director and arguing w the service advisor.. they put in a motor in my car within 2 days and put in a brand new intake sensor and installed my intake.. which i didnt even ask for them to do. Just took the car back in 2 weeks later and they're now putting in a new tranny and fuel tank no questions ask'd.

You can try to talk w them over tsb facts instead and have your car sit in the shop for another month while they come up w different reasons. Start getting all your maint records and explanation for all your mods. They will come up w every excuse in the book.

Goodluck tho.. will drive awesome once u get it done. Keep us posted.
My story is long, 3yrs. OC waaay before the TSB release when bought new. Already have the replacement. You should here what the 350Z peeps have/still are going through on Drivers sister site. Been posting there too for ~ 2yrs +, but under a different SN.

Hate when women are taken advantage like that, anyone in general really. Gives me permanent 'trust' issues with those business from that point on.

Glad no hassles this time with tranny and fuel tank warranty.

Longest they ever had my G was ~2.5 days to do the swap.

Not sure about my replacement currently; see last line in my sig. Infiniti still not off the hook with me yet looks like....

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 01-15-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
6MT Coupe
Thanks everyone for the great info. I'll let you know how this plays out!!

James

07 Lakeshore 6mt, Motordyne spacer & plenum, jwt intake w/aem filter, ztube, stillen true duals, stillen sways.
G/L and keep us posted for sure. Knowledge is power

-Lakeshore...love that color

Old 01-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Couldn't agree more, wasn't even planning on buying this car until I saw it in Lakeshore!!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:30 PM
6MT Coupe
Oops...just noticed your sig and what color. Props to you too!!
Also very rare in my state....

I'll update everyone on my OC halfway or end of oil service interval.
Till then........

Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 PM
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So I finally figured out why I was having such a hard time reading my stick. I let the car rest overnight for nice cold check in the morning (thanks for the advice John). Pulled the stick and whoa WTF I'm like showing this line about 2 mm up from the tip of the stick This ia at about 2k miles, I lost my odometer reading when I did a battery disconnect a few weeks ago, but it's +/- 150 of 2 k . If any one is curious, it took exactly 3 quarts to bing it all the way up to H line on the stick (06 rev-up). Also FYI, the engine tone above 3k rpm starts to take on a "harsh" quality / louder when your approaching 3 qts low. I noticed this change about a week ago, but wasn't smart enough to relate it to oil level. Since I install the Nismo flywheel/clutch everythig drivetrain wise is somewhat louder so at first I was fooled After I added the 3 qts, she is purring again. So obviously I have a problem. The ? is did you guys de-mod before taking to the dealer and demanding a new engine? My dealer is pretty cool and I rather not have to tear out the motordyne plenum , intake etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB